Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Of course, scoring helps but it did not help against Philly for the Jets. Yes, scoring is good unless the other offense is better than you then ball control seems like it is more important. The game is changing in that games become shootouts and the last team with the ball wins.

You are correct in that not scoring points and not winning the time of possession will equal a lot of losses. I am up for scoring a lot of points. :)

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Not every but I get what ur trying to say… I just don’t feel he’s the guy and will be cut next year

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

He was signed to be a #2 receiver so I think everyone is in agreement that he “isn’t the guy”.

I’m wondering who you would replace him with. Who do you see as a replacement as a #2 receiver making less than $13mm/yr.

Edit: Here’s a link of potential 2023 FAs
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/wide-receiver//

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Treylon Burks

Jojo likes this.
  5. KingRoach

With a RAS score of 6.32 he’ll be the least athletic person ever drafted by JD.

16 more days!!!

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I admit I have a kneejerk reaction to the term "defense wins championships" because for YEARS that's all this franchise focused . It's like they kept chasing after the '85 Bears model of team building. The only problem is that since the 80's the NFL made a decision to make the league offense oriented because that's what the fans wanted. Somehow, the Jets never got the memo. It really wasn't up until Douglas - over 30 years! - that the Jets began focusing on building a strong offense, They're still not really close yet.

In the meantime, the "vaunted" defense fell into disrepair under the "watchful" eyes of Idzik and Maccagnan, Bowles and Gase. Now completely revamping the whole scheme from the 3-4 where many of their players were drafted to play, to a 4-3 was bound to create growing pains.

In the long run I believe all of this will be for the better, but the "long run" had better get here pretty quick if Douglas and Saleh want to se the fruits of their labors.

Jojo, Borat, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  7. KingRoach

Was the plan to build the defense bad or was it the execution?

You guys pounding the table to draft another WR reminds me of when we drafted DT seemingly every damn year for a decade.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So you’re cutting Davis and starting WRs are Moore-Burks-Berrios w Mims first off the bench? Are you drafting two WR in this awful, couldn’t be worse scenario?

IIMeanDeanII and KingRoach like this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Lolwut?

We haven't taken a single receiver in the first round in 21 years. From 2011-2015 we took 4 DL in the first round.

10. KingRoach

We’ve drafted more WR with premium picks the last 2 years than the previous 10.

I get it. The Jets have been devoid for years at a lot of positions. That’s why fans want to draft a backup OT at 4 or are ok with a 2/3rd tier EDGE at 4. Let’s draft 5 WR bc we need weapons!!!

TBH - I find it quite entertaining.

ouchy likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

offense can be successful and still but the D on the field a lot if it works off big plays. it's why teams will slow down their offense at times to give the D a rest and why teams don't always operate out of a "2 min drill"

At the end of the day we both agree both sides are important. The big thing for me is we've put so much into the offense since JD arrived and so little into the D and I understand why, it's just time to address the defense IMO

KingRoach likes this.
  12. REVISion

You compared spending 2 2nd round picks in 2 years with spending 4 1st round picks in 5 years.

I don't get how anyone could consider 2 2nd rounders to be some gigantic splurge, especially since one of them is terrible and is going to do nothing for us.

We haven't spent a truly premium pick on a WR in 21 years. It's no coincidence our offense has been anemic for as long as I can remember.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have been trying to stay impartial with this discussion about what is most important for the NYJ, offense or defense, WR versus CB, Edge versus OL what ever the case might be. The premise by many, myself included, is that the most critical element is to make Zach as successful as he can be, because if we don't develop a franchise QB we don't win....That fact is hard to deny. But its not quite that simple. You don't ignore glaring needs and superior talent available on a defense, a D that has consistently been overpowered by most competitors. A strong D is as much a friend of your QB as a WR, and keeping the score close is the difference between winning by a field goal versus needing a TD or two. That is huge to a rookie QB. The best thing we can do is provide Zach with renewed confidence, on both sides of the ball.
    I do support adding a WR thru free agency and the draft, but I do not support over reaching for one in the first round when we could have two desperately needed D players as immediate starters and full time contributors in a position of major need. Be it Edge, CB, LB or safety or even a stud OL. There is no Chase this year, but there are plenty of D help with very little risk. Have we forgotten how we played D last year, deep safeties, giving them the middle of the field for the pass after pass, getting slashed with the run. Never stopping a cold. That isn't the way to help Zach, where he cant even sit down to watch the D before he gets called back to action, one more score behind. He has enough growing pains as it is. The draft is to select the best available talent at each round to help the team, never over reaching for need. That is just the wrong thing to do. We will know the results and JD thinking soon enough, so if WR is the best for us at ten strike, if not go elsewhere. My two cents.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. KingRoach

No. I compared spending a premium pick on WR 3 years in a row to spending a lpremium pick on DL 4 years out of 6… even those GMs didn’t do 3 in a row.

Top tier players are found in the 2nd every draft. With DK, AJ, Debo, Hill, and Adams being in the news this off-season, I’d think you’d know that.

There’s no doubt previous regimes have made some terrible draft choices. So far this one is batting 1000.

If the Jets take a WR this year, I’m 100% on board, I just don’t think it’s the dire need people are making it out to be.

ouchy likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Worst defense in franchise history and Jets fans want a receiver

not to mention its a great draft for defensive players. Its a no brainer

ouchy, BacktoQueens and KingRoach like this.
  16. REVISion

It's not that simple at all lol, why are you acting like first round picks and second round picks are equal in value? You can't just label them both "premium picks" and gloss over the massive difference in value.

Even if they were of equal value, 3 picks in a row still wouldn't be as bad as 4 picks in 5 years (why did you say 6 for 2011-2015?). Just admit it was a bad analogy and move on, sheesh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. REVISion

We were the 28th scoring offense lmao, all while passing constantly because we were always playing from behind.

It's the oversimplification brigade on the "defense wins championships" side.

Plus those of us on the side defending offense don't event want 2 offensive players in the first round. Most of us want to spend 4 on defense and the less valuable 10 on offense.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

It wasn't a bad analogy. Joe Douglas has spent so many valuable resources at the Wide Receiver position. If we need another one then he sucks at identifying talent. Personally, I dont think we need another one

ouchy and KingRoach like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Well yeah, because we had the league's worst starting QB

20. KingRoach

All picks inside the top 64 are considered premium. I’d never heard of the term “truly premium pick” before.

Let’s make some other types of premium so we can all be on the same page.

Super premium can be 1-3
    Truly premium can be 4-16
    Premium plus can be 17-35
    Premium can be 36-64
    Future insurance salesmen can be 65+