Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You can't have a shitty defense, I agree with you. You can't win a Super Bowl if you don't have a complete team, special teams included. The point is, having an elite offense will win you more games than having an elite defense will.

The Jets desperately need to add a high potential WR in this draft. They only have Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Braxton Berrios as their three guys. The Jets are one injury away from trotting out Jeff Smith or Denzel Mims. Other than that, I agree the Jets need to make big time additions to edge and safety early.

Edge, WR, and safety are the biggest needs in this draft.

boozer32, Borat, IIMeanDeanII and 2 others like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rams made it with a very medicore offense and goff at QB then were held to 3 points by the pats, who also only scored 13 despite having tom brady. anyone watching that game knew it was over when the rams couldn't move the ball. you need a well rounded team to win. no team with a bottom 10 defense is making the SB let alone winning one regardless how potent their offense is. we have the talent on offense to be legit. if zach moves foward like allen did and we get him 1 more WR our offens eis potent. hell even without zach last year mike white threw for 400 and flacco and johnson threw for 300 each. the offense was moving. with a RB 2 and another WR added in the draft our offense can cook. the D was ranked 32nd, thats never gonna fly. they last 2 drafts have all been about the offense. it's time for some defense

he is not gone after 2 years. not gonna happen

3. GasedAndConfused

whats the point of winning 12 games to not even win 1 playoff game? sure you can win games on offense alone but you won't go deep into the playoffs. there aren't any good 1 sided teams anymore the bets teams are good on both sides of the ball.

we do need a WR in the top 4 picks. I agree with that, but the other 3 need to be defense.

4. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

YEP

ouchy likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Come on man, the Rams were the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL that year lol...

They were 7th in yards per game if you want to go that route.

Borat likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

3 teams with top 10 defenses in the playoffs didn’t win a playoff game while another 3 didn’t even get there. Again, there needs to be a mix, all 3 phases need to be competent, I just think the teams focus should be offense in an offensive driven league.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We're going to have to put up 50+ on the AFC if we don’t make serious improvements on every level of our D

REVISion and GasedAndConfused like this.
  8. KingRoach

Rams we’re the 2nd highest scoring team that year? Are you suggesting Defense Wins Championships?

9. GasedAndConfused

that is true but they scored 3 in the SB which only helps my point. they outscored the pats by 100 points during the regular season. the pats were the 4th highest scoring team. yet the SB was 13-3 becuase of 2 good defenses and the team that played better on D won that game

I mean the bills were the top D and lost becuase of a coin flip. neither D could stop either offense. mahomes and allen were both in fire. had either teams D stepped up for 1 series they would have won that game for their team

the niners were the 3rd best defense and beat a much better offensive team in dallas.

the rams statistically were a middle of the pack defense but they added von miller at the trade deadline and had a stacked D of miller, donald, ramsey among others. their pass rush won them the SB and Miller was the bets player in the SB

Even when the giants were ranked 32nd in defense, they shut down brady in the SB with their pass rush. It's important to have a balanced team. coaches are too good nowadays for 1 dimensional teams to dominate. we've invested a ton in offense since JD got here. last season we switched from a 3-4 blitz heavy scheme to a cover 3 zone scheme and we need to address the defense

10. KingRoach

I love the “one injury away” argument /s.

Should we go through and list all the positions where we’re “one injury away” from being in trouble?

Since you started with WR, I’ll go next. Here’s another position where we’re one injury away from being in trouble:
    All of them.

LAJet likes this.
  11. REVISion

Ehhh but you said they "made it with a very mediocre offense", which to me means they made it all the way to the Super Bowl with a mediocre offense, not that they had a bad offensive performance in the Super Bowl. Their offense was elite and had a bad game, that's all.

And this just reinforces what I said before - that you don't even make it to the Super Bowl without a good offense and that defense is sometimes the tiebreaker beyond that. Same story with the Chiefs/Bucs Super Bowl, and with the Rams/Bengals Super Bowl. In the Chiefs/49ers Super Bowl the Chiefs won primarily because they had a more explosive offense.

KingRoach likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

Where did I say the Jets didn’t need to make serious improvements to their defense?

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The Jets are in a weird spot with their WR group.. really only Berrios and Moore I feel will be involved steadily and Davis/Mims will make the odd splash play as they have shown their entire career.

So I dived into watching more film on WRs coming out and man there are so many different flavours. If they want a deep threat it’s Williams and Olave. If they want a quick intermediate guy it’s Wilson. If they want a jump ball guy/red zone target it’s London. If they want a jack of all trades guy it’s Burks. Considering they went after Hill that makes me think they want a deep threat guy. So I think it will come down to Williams or Olave with an outside chance of Burks/Wilson.

Borat and Jojo like this.
  14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Davis is now regulated to the odd splash play corner? I get most people didn’t like his signing, but when he was in Tenn in a heavy run first offense he put up good numbers. To say because he had a disappointing year and was injured he’s now just a 4/5 receiver is kind of extreme no?

15. NYJFOREVER

Davis is a solid wide receiver. Is he a superstar? No, he isn't, but to lump him and Mims together is wild. Mims doesn't even look like he could play college ball based on his tape in 2021 tape.

deviljets7 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

nah your right. I don't remember their offense being so prolific with goff but he did have that 1 year when it was and he made the pro bowl and that was the year. still he got exposed pretty hard by bellichick in the SB.

I'm agreeing you need a good offense but you need a good defense too. our defense was dead last, having a good defense boosts the offense as you get a better TOP. I think we have a good offense on paper assuming some things work out but the D is really lacking in talent and I think we need to address that in this draft

REVISion and BacktoQueens like this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yet only scored 3 pts in the Super Bowl, as they saw an excellent Patriots D that was carrying that team.
    the Patriots won the Super Bowl having only scored 10 pts. 10 pts!
    Zero TDs and 1 INT from the ‘winning’ QB.

The better defenses are still what’s been winning in playoffs.

#277 BacktoQueens, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    ouchy likes this.
  18. REVISion

Whatever the exact categorization of Davis is, the point is we need another elite WR. As it stands now we have maybe one if Moore pans out. Davis averages 650 yards per season during his career, he's a #3 WR in any tier 1 WR group.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree with you.
    Our defense being this bad is the worst thing for the development of a young QB.

We currently have major holes at Edge, Interior DL, LB, S……and a stud CB wouldn’t hurt.

#279 BacktoQueens, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    tomdeb likes this.
  20. REVISion

Great offenses don't score 30 points every single game.

I honestly feel like this shouldn't even be a discussion but let's look at past SB winners and how their scoring offenses and defenses ranked:

Rams

O: 6th
    D: 9th

Bucs

O: 2nd
    D: 7th

Chiefs

O: 2nd
    D: 10th

Pats:

O: 4th
    D: 6th

Eagles:

O: 1st
    D: 4th

Again, nobody is saying defense isn't important, we're just saying offense is very clearly more important. Every single Super Bowl winner going back 5 years has had a higher ranked offense than defense.