2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Welp. Cooks signs a two year extension with Houston. So much for that.

Noam likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm sure his agent used the Jets for leverage right at the end.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The more and more I think about it, I feel like we should just take Jameson Williams if he is truly elite prospect but with a torn acl. He will be back by week 4

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He’s a fuckin stud, picture a more explosive Jeudy

Poeman, The Dark Knight and Noam like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Offering Mims is like offering to empty your trashcan into their trashcan and asking them to like it.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Me too, but as a team that deals with so many injuries lately, I am not sure you want to draft a guy who is already dealing with a significant one. At the same time, WR is a big need for the Jets, and I feel he is the best one in this draft. Tough decision for Joe Douglas.

Fiftynine likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you draft Williams I would feel more comfortable if you paired him with another pro ready high round pick. For example if the Jets did execute the proposed trade with the Saints for 16 and 19 for 4. A Williams and Olave draft would look pretty exciting. Or a tradeback from 10 to 20 for Williams and Dotson in round 2.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or a pre-draft trade for a stud WR + adding Williams.

Noam likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

Did you guys see the report on Twitter that Free Agents don't want to play for the Jets? Or something like that? Not sure where that rumor is coming from.

Anyway, it makes sense to me. Why would a top player want to come to the Jets right now? Joe Douglas is not going to overpay them to come like past GM's too. So I could see those rumors being true. We know Tyreek Hill used the Jets to get more money from Miami, but at the same time that is what happens when you go (2-14) and then (4-13). That is why Joe Douglas is building through the draft. Once the Jets starting winning in 2022 and players see this is a fun place to be, they will have no problem signing in the 2023 off-season.

cval likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No, but I did see this.

All at reasonable salaries without overpaying.

Brook!, IIMeanDeanII, cval and 4 others like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And we now have one of the best TE stables in the league. JD did really well in FA this year. IF we don't attract diva receivers so what. IMO that woulda been a step backwards anyways.

Brook! and Nyjets4eva like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

This report was stupid and most likely just a way to drum up attention and/or a ploy from an agent/team to get the Jets to start going hard after people.

Hill chose more money (no taxes) and Florida, where he has a home
    Christian Kirk got BADLY overpaid
    Allen Robinson chose the defending champs
    Chandler Jones chose a team that just traded for the best WR in football and already made the playoffs

The list goes on, and at every turn it makes perfect sense why the player chose the team he chose. I don't think it's a secret that we need to win in order to be attractive, but the way this guy presented it was pure horseshit and he probably knows it.

13. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

You’re absolutely right! I read it earlier and it was such a bad piece of you know what

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Did you read the full quote of just the edited part?

The full quote isn’t bad, editors do what they need to do to get clicks.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It makes sense, NFL players want long term stability and they want to showcase their talents in big games. The Jets offer neither, the seasons are over by october and they are very unstable

The Jets rarely extend their players. If they play well they are traded or leave in FA. The list is long the past decade and it continued this offseason, Marcus Maye, Jamison Crowder, did the Jets even try to resign them?

Then you consider all the flux and changing of systems, they dont want to play for a team who will end up firing their coaches in a year and changing philosophies so their skills are a bad fit. They look at the guys that has happened to here. Theres a reason whenever the Jets sign someone they have to overpay
    ---

The one way to fix it, I agree, is to build a winning team through the draft but organizationally they need a consistent direction and strategy, on and off the field

Bellys Lies and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

No, couldn't figure out where it came from, so thought I would ask TGG! :)

Brook! and KingRoach like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

This is also why tanking is stupid. Granted we haven't been TRYING to lose, we just have sucked naturally, but you aren't attracting anyone by losing games. Even a scrappy win or two at the end of a season goes a long way when it comes to confidence in the staff and the players. I always think of the Bears the year they signed everyone under the sun, I want to say Trubisky's second year. Sometimes all it takes is an illusion.

Or just overpay everyone like the Jags.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think any free agent's decision is impacted by whether a team won 2 or 3 games the previous year. We've missed out on some truly elite prospects by winning a single more game, prospects that would've likely resulted in more wins in ensuing years. Bosa and Lawrence to name a couple.

I don't support outright tanking from the start of a season, but if it's clearly a wasted season halfway through and you're in the driver's seat for an elite prospect then by all means you should continue to lose.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not sure I can agree with the first sentence. You think Brady was signing somewhere he didn't think he could win regardless of how much cash he was offered? It might be true for some, particularly those who have exceeded their draft status on rookie deals and want to cash in while they can, but for others - particularly vets who already have a good contract under their belts - the opposite can be true. Think Tomlinson vs Bell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are we still classing Lawrence as an elite prospect?

A generational talent?

He had just nine touchdowns to 13 interceptions and a 70.6 passer rating which was good enough to be ranked 31st.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.