Sam Darnold Warned Jets They Were 'Making a Mistake' in Panthers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You can argue whatever you’d like. He was worse than Darnold as a rookie and worse nearly across the board in every category in their last six games as a rookie except he threw less interceptions.

Being better than Lawrence and Fields is not an accomplishment. They were terrible last year.

How was he better than Jones “down the stretch?” Mac Jones had a 87 quarterback rating over his last six games on 62% completion. 8 touchdowns to 5 interceptions.

Wilson was 77 on 53%, 5 touchdowns to 1 pick and threw for 40 less yards per game.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A Jets fan is someone who wants the Jets to succeed. Thinking they're unlikely to succeed isn't the same thing as not wanting them to succeed. And shame on those implying otherwise.

Jojo and REVISion like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

A Jets fan is someone who wants the Jets to succeed. Thinking they're unlikely to succeed isn't the same thing as not wanting them to succeed. However, constantly repeating how bad they are and how unlikely they to succeed sounds like you are “rooting” for them to fail. Someone who roots against their teams success isn’t a fan and shame on those implying otherwise.

PJ4Ever and cval like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...worse than even Tebow. But 'you' looked into the future and saw a once in a generation leap in Allen's throwing ability? I'm impressed! Please do me a solid and PM the lottery numbers for tomorrow night's drawing...thanks!!!! you da man!

PJ4Ever and Rockinz like this.
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Some of this has to be blamed on the defense especially the "40 less yards per game" stat over the last 6 games. NE was in the top half time of possession while the Jets were almost dead last. Better defense creates more opportunities and quality opportunities at that. Some of that can be placed on QB play but when the D can't get off the field it's certainly a factor in TDs and especially yards per game. Stats don't tell the whole story.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on
    No fan roots for a player in particular or the team in total to fail. There is in no way shape or form a fan would do that. . Even if you didn’t want the player for whatever reason or you didn’t think he had what it takes you don’t root against him to prove a point. Hope you are wrong and move on.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh I mean this can swing the other way too though. The Jets defense being bad and the team being out of games creates more time for east garbage time yards and completions.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. Those days are gone. We are trying to get out of the bottom of the league. I loved how you crushed the Pats. They are your nemesis for now. Let's go with "Bills Over Pats" for a while and if it feels weird, I promise, we will grant your wish.

@Cman65 - Boss. Go for it if you don't mind :)

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The dolphins should be a better team than the pats. Pats haven’t been competitive with us since Brady, other than the fluky snow game.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So Bills Over Dolphins cool with you? :)

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

LoL I already won the lottery in so many ways! Allen had some of the best college splash plays that you couldn’t deny the talent. Then people ragged on him about completion percentage without watching the tape and seeing him hitting WRs off their helmets and right threw their hands because of his NFL arm. Stats are deceiving. Allen’s tape was awesome at Wyoming where he was playing in a pro style offence I might add.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Leave him with his OG name man.

REVISion likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Allen was drafted where he was because of his physical traits, that’s it. His tape was bad and I think you pointing out splash plays being the only stand out on that tape explains it all. He landed with a team that did every single thing right to bring the rest out of him.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

His tape was not bad. His splash plays showed his elite potential. The rest was solid with tons of drops by his WRs and his OL couldn’t block a grade 10 tyke football team.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Rookie years are meaningless.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The analysts were high on Darnold even after his third year. Those guys don't like admitting they whiffed on draft picks.

I liked Wilson a lot as a prospect but there's no doubt he was awful as a rookie if we're being honest with ourselves. You don't make the correct reads most of the time if you finish the season with a 55% completion percentage. Even if he did make the correct reads, his accuracy was so bad on short and medium throws that it didn't really matter. We can split hairs about why he was bad but there's no doubt he was bad.

Jojo, Ralebird, PJ4Ever and 1 other person like this.
  17. REVISion

People never seem to get this no matter how many times it's said.

I root for the Jets, the team, first and foremost. My rooting for individual players is tied to their ability to improve the team. I want every single one of our players to succeed, but that doesn't mean I necessarily think they will.

Debating about whether we want our own players to succeed is completely pointless, I don't know why people even bring it up. We're Jets fans on a Jets forum, it goes without saying that we want our players to succeed.

The interesting debates are almost all related to how likely we think it is that various players will succeed.

18. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Rookies play like rookies. Anyone who expected more was delusional. Mac Jones had the benefit of playing with an all-world offense and defense, and he was still pretty bad as a rookie. Putting Zach out there with the 2s and 3s on offense and a defense without their key playmakers was a recipe for exactly the kind of production we got.

19. REVISion

Mac Jones was pretty bad? He completed 68% of his passes at a much higher Y/A than Wilson with an almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Yeah, he was in a great situation, but he played about as well as rookie QB's do other than Justin Herbert. Jones was 8th in the NFL in completion % and 14th in air yards per attempt, so it wasn't just dinking and dunking.

It's also just flat out not true that rookies always play bad. Go look up the top QB's in the league and check out their rookie seasons, almost all of them completely blew Wilson's out of the water. Great QB's usually show some evidence of being great very early on, and highly drafted QB's almost always go to really bad teams so the surrounding talent is hardly an excuse.

20. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Dude you are literally comparing apples to oranges. He went into a situation he couldn’t fail in, if he did he had to be dumb. Almost any rookie Qb could of done what he did in a dink and dunk offense with a an amazing running game are you serious lol. Watch football and just don’t throw out stats saying be completed 68 percent of his throws as if he was asked to do anything special all year man stop

ColoradoContrails likes this.