Are the Jets a LOCK to take a WR at 10?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 9, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I love the idea of taking a number of WRs at 10!

-Jameson Williams comes with risk, but also tremendous reward.
    -Garrett Wilson feels like a very safe, but potential dream fit for the offense.
    -Drake London brings some DIFFERENT to this offense with his size.

Having said all of that, are the Jets a lock to do so like many of us believe they are? I think there are some legit reasons to believe that the Jets will surprise us and NOT take one at #10 overall.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All of the WR's you mentioned come with risk attached.

Specifically, Williams had the ACL in January and will likely not be field-ready until Late Oct/early November, this assuming that his post-surgical rehab stays on track. London and Wilson are not the kind of WR's you want with Zach Wilson. Both of them are receivers who are better underneath and getting YAC. For Mike White they'd be ideal but for Zach they're square peg/round hole fits.

I'm thinking all of them are too risky to take at 10 given the Jets circumstances.

The guys you'd like to match Wilson up with are Williams, Pickens, Watson, Moore, Austin III, the guys who are fast enough to get down the field and naturals at tracking the ball as they run under the rainbows. All of those guys carry too much risk to be a 1st round pick. Some of them like Moore and Austin III are unlikely to be #1's at the NFL level, instead turning into complementary burners opposite another deep threat WR. Williams and Pickens are the real deal if healthy, true #1 prospects that you could focus the offense around. Watson is a total wild-card. Looked good in college in an offense that featured the running game but obviously not a main engine there. He could be a game-breaking #1 in the NFL or he could be Stephen Hill.

boozer32 and ouchy like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Huh?

You do realize that Wilson Is faster or just as fast as every down field WR you mentioned there? Wilson Is also a very good deep threat prospect In his own right.

I'm so confused.

FJF, Borat and REVISion like this.
  4. DSL97

DSL97 Member

In regards to williams, I believe articles have said that it was 5-7 months recovery time from his surgery date - which was in late january. They have also said Williams is ahead of schedule - He could realistically be game ready by early October. Either way - Jameson Williams is the best wide receiver talent in this draft and I'd gladly sacrifice the first few games to have a dynamic playmaker on the team.

Brook!, BrickcityJet, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It was his back handed way to take a jab at Zach. He somehow thinks Mike White is a better QB

Cman68, KingRoach, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Which WR the Jets draft really doesn't matter that much. The top 5 should be good enough to make their marks in the NFL. What matters is Zach Wilson. Unless he can complete passes with better consistency than we saw last season, you can have the second coming of Jerry Rice and it wouldn't make much difference.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis as always Penny! And I agree that Douglas may not take a WR at 10. The only one I'd consider taking there is Williams, and he may already be gone, but even if not, he does carry some risk due to his injury. So, despite my being a diehard "offense first" guy, I can easily see - and maybe not so easily like - JD double dipping on "D" with 4 & 10. If Hutchinson isn't there at 4, maybe he decides to take Sauce or Hamilton, and then Johnson the Edge at 10, and look for his WR with one of the next picks, even trading back into the first, although I don't really think that happens.

With his FA acquisitions Douglas has done a great job of giving himself flexibility and masking his intentions - there are a lot of ways he can go depending on how the board plays out.

At this point, I still think - hope - that he gets a true #1 WR in a trade before the draft. That would take a lot of pressure off the major objective of ensuring that Zach has everything he needs to succeed. If he can do that, my next hope is that he trades back out of #4 for a good haul - maybe the Saints two first rounders and another good pick, possibly in 2023. Then he uses 10 to get Johnson, and one of the Saints picks to get Linderbaum or possibly even Hamilton if he slides (it's possible). He could also use one of those picks on the best LB or DT available - Dean, Lloyd, or Davis would all present great value at those spots and fill big needs. And then with either of the 2 second rounders - assuming he doesn't trade back into the fist round - he can take the BPA WR.

Based on what he's done so far, and going hard after two stud WRs so far, I think he's well aware that he has to deliver a near-playoff ready team this year, so I think he's going to be looking to grab All-Pro potential talent with those first picks, trying to acquire one or two more towards that end, and again, still trying to get that stud WR before the draft.

#7 ColoradoContrails, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    ouchy and Noam like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+100

It's funny how posters get so giddy over the upcoming draft

Their denial is so pervasive they fail to acknowledge the Elephant in the room

Do we have our Franchise QB? ..?? Can I see him win some games? Or get through 1 month of football with some decent stats ?? This is just way to scary and depressing to acknowledge..even for me

For NC Jets it's a foregone conclusion and his opinion is a ray of hope;)

Brook!, Royal Tee and westiedog1 like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't think so. It's not out of the question that they go defense at 4 and 10. The unit can't get gashed on a weekly basis like it was last year. And let's say a RB and TE are selected this year. Would it be the worst thing to go all in on a WR in 2023? If Zach is going to become a FQB, he has to make players around him better.

BTW, I don't oppose taking a WR at 10 or in a later round. Just considering an alternative way of building the team.

ouchy, The Dark Knight and westiedog1 like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im confident in saying almost every Jets fan is well aware everything rests on the QBs shoulders. Putting him in the best position to succeed is what we want.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's possible to get excited about the draft and also recognize that the team will ultimately rise or fall with Wilson.

12. Br4d

The Jets really need to match the receiver they ultimately take to the QB who they plan to play this year.

The upside in the draft is that the majority of the receivers plugged as 1st round prospects will really help and be helped by a rhythmic distributor. So even if Mike White is ultimately the guy under center this year virtually all of the top guys will be enhanced.

The downside though is that you're not helping Zach Wilson much with a guy who wants to catch a short pass and make some yards after the catch. Wilson doesn't throw those short underneath passes well enough yet to take advantage of the Wilsons and Olave and Dotson types.

So the Jets really need to make a choice. There are a couple of early WR's that would really help Zach in Jameson Williams and Treylon Burks. There are several 2nd/3rd rounders that might be a very good match in George Pickens, Skyy Moore and Christian Watson.

If Jameson Williams hadn't gotten hurt he would be the 4. If George Pickens hadn't been hurt with an ACL recovery all season until near the end he would be the #4 or #10. That's just the Jets lousy luck showing through.

ouchy likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree that JD going hard for FA receivers is a sign he wants to use the first round on other positions, which would be ideal. However, paying the ridiculous salaries some of these FA receivers are getting is a little off putting in our rebuild. Not that I want to be cheap but paying a fortune for one WR seems like a win now strategy, the final piece type thing, and we aren't there yet.

In the draft I love Williams. But my concern isn't just the injury, but how it will affect his first year development. Receivers have to develop in the NFL also. Some do it faster than others, especially if they go to an offense they are familiar with. That wouldn't be the case with WIlliams, and making his first start week 4, or whatever, would carry some other challenges, like being behind in developing with Zach, or developing in the NFL period. I feel like if we take WIlliam's his first year might not be that impactful. That again makes me question his value at 10.

Dfaninpeace likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Zach Wilson is going to be a really good QB in the NFL. Probably the best Jets QB of my lifetime. Still, that doesn't matter when building a roster. The Jets need another top WR. If they can draft a true #1, that would be great, but even a solid WR to go with Moore and Davis would be really good. Then you have Berrios and Mims to go with them. Sign another WR or draft another and you have a good group for any QB that is behind center.

I agree with @PennyandtheJets, they could double dip on defense with #4 and #10. We will see. Many people keep saying Pass rusher at #4 and WR at #10 and that makes the most sense to me. Good video!

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If the scenario was Hamilton and Williams are both available at 10, I'd go Hamilton.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we don’t take Burks we are going to regret it. Don’t let combine numbers screw with the talent that’s on film just like DK from a few years ago.

Br4d likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hell, I'd still go Hamilton at 4. A 40 time didn't change anything I saw on tape and he's really one of the best prospects in the draft. Some team will take a chance in the top 10.

Brook! and ouchy like this.
  18. Br4d

I'd much prefer trading down in that scenario if a good deal could be worked,

It's possible that Hamilton is just the most value at #10 and then I guess the Jets have to take him since he is most valuable and also at a position of need.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Sauce or KT at 4 I like better. If Hamilton is there at 10 it’s a tough call between him and Burks. I feel Burks and Hamilton will make an immediate impact. Hamilton maybe more so.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ehhhhh not sure Metcalf is a good comparison. Metcalf had one bad combine event and was an extreme outlier in every other one.

Metcalf:

4.33 40 @ 230 lbs
    41" vertical
    11' 2" broad jump
    7.38 3 cone

Metcalf also benched 225 more times than the average offensive lineman.

Burks:

4.55 40 @ 225 lbs (average for his weight)
    33" vertical
    10' 2" broad jump
    7.28 3 cone

They really aren't comparable at all. Metcalf had one bad event and was like 99th percentile in every other one. Burks is average or below average for his weight across the board.

There's a lot of evidence that WRs with 3 cone drills as bad as Metcalf's have a very low chance of working out, he was just so elite and explosive at everything else that he was able to overcome it.

mattyd99 and boozer32 like this.