Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm just going off your premise not playing tic for tac. You went off projection with Pickens before he even played a down in the NFL. You then threw Moore's college stats out which were pretty good but he didn't do much with the Jets. I'm optimistic about Pickens's potential as we all would be for any Jets draft pick. That's all I'm saying.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

didn't do much? moore did start off slow and got hurt but he had a 4 week span where he was top 5 in the NFL in catches, yards and 5TDs. in a 6 week span after he came back form injury he had 459 yards, 34 catches, and 5 TDs. in about 1/3rd of a season. if you take that span and stretch it to 17 games it's 1300 yards, 96 catches, 14 TDs. unfortunately he got hurt then missed the last 5 games. he was on pace for a pro bowl level season. that pace would have been good for 7th in yards, 12th in catches, and and tied for 2nd in TDs. on top of that he did it with 4 different QBs wilson, flacco, white, and johnson. if thats not producing then IDK what is to you

3. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I do agree with you that our linebacker core is in dire need of help but there are just so many holes on the Jets it is which should take priority. In my opinion the offense should take lead for the primary reason that we need to make sure that we give Wilson all the tools to succeed this season. Everyone will tell you the reason most young QBs fail is the lack of weapons at the WR position and poor protection. The jets have put their eggs into Wilson and Douglas has a solid plan which was to build the OL and give him the WR tools needed. I agree that we don't have good linebackers but we have 9 picks this year and I think JD will address the linebackers in round 2 and 3.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We're talking about Pickens as a college prospect though. He had a promising 1st season but kinda fell off in his sophomore and junior years, partially due to injury. He was never as good in his college career as Moore was. Moore showed promise as a rookie in the NFL but needs to stay healthy. I won't get into it as GAC had already replied to you with something similar to what I would.

I will say, I don't hate Pickens as a prospect, I hate Pickens as a potential top 40 pick. The Jets 35 and 38 picks need to be instant starters and I don't think Pickens is that guy. Just my opinion. If Pickens is there at like late 50s, early 60s, I'd consider moving up for him

Noam and boozer32 like this.
  5. boozer32

I hope Douglas does too. I'm getting tired of the snail's pace he is addressing the roster. Granted the other build jobs didn't work out either. But if he's asking the fans to be patient then he needs to show some goals are being reached. The Jets need to win at least 6 games this year to keep the fan base engaged.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. boozer32

The Jets need better receivers to help this offense. and I don't think they are taking one in the first round so Pickens might be there in the second. I also don't believe they will take a TE in the second round. But if they not playing Mims that makes it even more important to get some receivers on the roster.

7. NYJFOREVER

No chance they go TE round 2. TE will be a day 3 target.

I'm thinking they take Wilson or London at 10, hopefully Wilson.

Noam and PJ4Ever like this.
  8. boozer32

I sure hope not. London is slower than a snail and Wilson well he is from Ohio State a college the Jets have had awful luck with for decades. Only Matt Snell and Nick Mangold have been successful as Jets from that school. If those are the picks draft day will be early for me as the booze drinking will be accelerated.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

London has yet to run the 40 and I certainly don't think he's as slow as people are trying to make him out to be. Just like Burks wasn't nearly as fast as people were trying to make him out to be.

Your school theory Is non-sense.

jonnyd and PJ4Ever like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

Scout the player, not the helmet.

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

snails pace? he took over a team that

1) was in cap hell from bad contracts (mosley, bell, trumaine)
    2) had it's best player pissed at the team and wanted out (adams)
    3) had no FQB and was dealing with a bust QB taken 3rd overall
    4) had no o-line
    5) had only 1 good WR (who he sadly let walk and admitted he made a mistake)
    6) had a shit head coach that was likely on the way out but had influence over his 1st draft
    7) after his 1st year he had to find a new HC who completely changed the defense from a 3-4 blitz heavy man coverage to a cover 3 press zone defense with wide 9 front 4.
    8) awful TE group

in this short span he's
    got rid of gase and got us a real HC
    moved adams for a ton of draft capital
    rebuilt the o-line into an above average unit
    fixed the cap and we have room and flexability
    drafted a FQB
    built a solid WR room
    got us 2 good TEs
    got us a solid CB group

he still has work to do, mainly on the defense but we have 4 picks in the top 38 plus tons of cap room next year for free agents and we are only in year 3 of JD now. it's hard to overhaul an entire defensive scheme in only 1 year which is where we were at last year.

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I have no doubt Williams is the most talented WR prospect in this draft. I remember during last year's draft scouting Smith, Waddle, and Mac Jones, this skinny kid kept showing up on film and it was like, "who the heck is that, he is going to be great".

But the injury really makes me nervous if we want him pick 10. That pick should get us a stud, maybe pro bowler. Do we want to risk it on someone who is still in rehab, and maybe lost a half step? Will it hinder his rookie development? I just don't think I could commit to using 10 on him because IMO this needs to be a sure thing daft. If we do take him I wont sweat it, but it is a little risky to be my pick at 10.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I agree, but to counter - there are no sure things in any draft.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Also, I'm concerned about our current WR obsession. Mostly because JD seems to also have it.

Somehow this wrong notion that if you don't have a golden stable of WRs than a young QB wont develop properly. There is absolutely no truth to that. Look at Mac Jones. This was a guy that fell to 5th QB taken in the draft because it was thought he was only good because he had a golden stable of WRs. He goes to NE with the worst receiving stable in the league and makes the pro bowl. Why, because he is a talented NFL quality QB. He didn't need a single stud prove he belonged.

You need good WRs to go deep in the playoffs but its not going to help Wilson develop into a great NFL QB. He is either going to do that or not, on his own. O-line is a far bigger need for his development.

Which takes us back to this draft. None of these WRs, none of them, are in the class of the 4 WRs taken top 10 last year (Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith), except a pre injury Williams and maybe Wilson. None of them look like surefire #1s in the NFL. IMO we need to try and trade down or use pick 10 on someone who has a future probowl shine. If we force or reach for a WR at 10 it will be a mistake.

Sec124DieHard and tomdeb like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is a good point. Allen didn't have Diggs until year 3, but he did show improvement in year 2 with Beasley and Brown as his top WR's. I don't think Wilson would be a reach at 10 though. He has the traits needed to be successful in the NFL(speed, route running, hands).

ouchy likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

On the flip side look at Baker Mayfield. They got him top drawer receivers but at the end of the day he is what he is.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, the Browns got Watson for a reason. If Zach doesn't become at least a middle of the pack QB this year, he's likely not the answer.

Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

mayfield is an american hero for getting OBJ a superbowl ring

Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The offensive line seems good enough headed into 2022 with Becton-Tomlinson-McGovern-AVT-Fant. The Jets can improve it with a 2nd Round pick if they want. Pass rusher and wide receiver feel like bigger needs at the moment that can be addressed in the 1st Round. We know Joe Douglas loves OL though, so him taking one at #4 wouldn't shock anyone.

Your WR logic makes sense, but you also need to do everything you can to help your young QB succeed. Zach Wilson can show you if he is a good NFL QB or not with Moore, Davis, Berrios, Mims, etc at WR, Uzomah and Conklin at TE, Carter, Coleman etc at RB and a solid O-line. I agree with that, but he also can be even better if he has a true #1 WR. There is nothing wrong with Joe Douglas trying to get him one. The more weapons the better, and they have done a solid job improving the skill positions for Zach, compared to Sam.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think if we look at the consistent playoff teams - almost all of them have a ton of weapons on offense, whether it's WRs, TEs, RBs or QBs who can run.

The only real weapon I'd say we have, in terms of being a top tier talent at his position, is Moore. Carter is good too but I don't think he's a bonafide threat on offense like Moore is. Our TEs are alright now but none of them are real weapons, just upgrades from the atrocities we had at TE last year.

I think a big part of the WR focus is wanting to leave no doubt about whether Wilson is succeeding or failing of his own accord or because he doesn't have good enough weapons. I do agree that we'll probably be able to tell either way, but it's an easier decision to make if the talent around him can't be questioned.

NYJFOREVER, Jets79, Borat and 2 others like this.