2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's an anomaly. I feel like he was viewed as a bust at each stop he's had but he's done nothing but producer for all the teams he played for. I'd love to be the 5th team he plays for that lets him down.

Not sure him coming here is rescuing him but at 28, he could easily be a part of this WR corps for the duration of a new contract. Very much worth a third.

And that's the problem... I think at some point a team is going to get fair value for him and I think he's worth more than a third. But man if you can get Cooks with a 3rd and draft London at 10, you have the most complete WR room you've had maybe ever in franchise history. Every base is covered... you got speed downfield, you have crisp route runners, you have a jump ball guy and you have a possession guy in Davis that can also get downfield and make contested catches (outside of last year).

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's easy to say "Sure, Cooks for a 3rd!", but I doubt they take that deal. What's the most the Jets should pay for him? Is he worth the #10? After all he's certainly more proven than any WR in the draft. Or perhaps one of #35/38?

Personally, I've started thinking in terms of using the #10 to trade back to get more picks, and grabbing a good WR with one of the 2nd rounders, so I'd consider giving up one of those for Cooks while using the #10 for more capital.

EDIT: After some more thought, I wonder if a third and Mims would get it done?

#1162 ColoradoContrails, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One thing to remember about Cooks is that he's used to having great QBs throw to him. He's played with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Geoff during his SB year, and Deshaun Jackson. He's a FA next year so he'll probably choose to go to sign with a top team, or want a massive contract.

To me this feels like it would be a one year rental with a guy who is in a contract year. So he could produce big for one year, or become a malcontent if he feels Zach is costing him future money. I'm not sure this situation is a good fit.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A couple things, Goff sucks and he had 90 catches last year from Davis Mills.

so no, he's not only produced with good QBs at all

Nyjets4eva, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Whenever I see Brandin Cooks' name I'm reminded of how the Jets took Calvin Pryor 2 picks before he went to the Saints... Good times

Very solid receiver and would probably be a great addition at the right price. It's tricky for me. I'd probably give a 3rd, not sure about a 2nd. He is pretty young, 29 this season, though also has a lot of tread as he's entering his 9th season. As others have said, I'd wonder about his contract demands. Also is he close to slowing down given the amount he's played already? Overall though, I'd be excited if he was a Jet

Poeman, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's not what I was saying. I'm saying he is used to good QBs. In a contract year he is going to want to produce. If Zach and him don't connect then it could become a distraction for Zach's development. Also, Zach very rarely looked as good as Mills last year. There is too much downside for a one year rental.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I feel the opposite. I'm worried Zach Wilson will throw him too many dimes and drive his contract demands through the roof! :cool:

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Hard pass on, Cooks.

Damn, that would be very disappointing.

9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

LOL at the idea of Cooks fetching far more than Adams and Hill got in trades.

Point of Reference #1: Two years ago, the Texans gave up Pick #57 in the 2020 draft for Cooks and a 2022 4th rounder.

Point of Reference #2: Last week, the Patriots got DeVante Parker and a 2023 5th Rounder from the Dolphins for a 2023 3rd Rounder. Parker is not consistent, but is owed less for 2022 and 2023 combined than Cooks does in 2022.

Noam likes this.
  11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I did post it rather tongue in cheek! Just made me laugh when I read it.

12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Holy s*@t lol. No way in hell we sign off on any of these. If any of you are familiar with Jake Asman he does a Jets channel but works for the Texans beat in Houston. He suggested a second would probably get it done and loves Cooks on and off the field BTW.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I can't tell If we are just viewed by other NFL teams fans as the dumb fuck organization that will literally give up that much because we are that dumb fuck organization.

...or

A 12 year old got inspired by Madden and decided to throw some bullshit up on the internet.

Fucking... yikes.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I wanted him in the draft but dumbass Idzik drafted a fucking box safety instead…oh that Calvin Pryor gem of a pick.

god I HATE Idzik

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

There is quite literally no explanation for thinking ANY team would do this. It's just some idiot writing for a website that accepts anyone. Cooks would be a great addition... for a third round pick. And there's no reason to believe it would cost anything more (although I think a team would give up more).

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I remember wanting Cooks so bad too

17. BroadwayAaron

I wanted Cooks too but what helps me get over it is knowing we would have either traded him or let him walk after 3 years because whatever we had going on at QB/OC would have undoubtedly led to Cooks being unhappy and underproducing.

ouchy likes this.
  18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

cooks has had at least five concussions

i wouldn’t give up more than a fifth for him

Noam likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Dude averages 72 catches, 990 yards (easily over 1k since rookie year) and 6 TDs a year. Two years out of 8 under 1k yards and one of them was his rookie year where he played 10 games. He's a fantastic WR that has missed 5 games total since 2017. That's absolutely worth a third rounder at least.

Edit: I mean the guy's "per 17 game" averages are top tier, and he averages 15 games played per year....

81 catches, 1149 yards, 7 TDs

That's a WR1, I just don't think it's the right skillset for what we have in our WR room currently.

#1179 BroadwayAaron, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. DSL97

DSL97 Member

Looks like Deebo wants his extension now - I'd throw #10 and a future 3rd for him if things don't work out with the 49ers

Bellys Lies likes this.