Rockinz Jets Mock draft 2.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, with a bunch of trades yesterday and some more knowledge on the 2022 prospects this is the conclusion I’ve come too for our draft. This is what I believe will happen not necessarily what I want to happen. Enjoy the read!

1. Jaguars - Aiden Hutchison Edge- They think about OT but decide to go BPA on their board. Besides Josh Allen they also don’t have much depth at DE.

2. Lions - Malik Willis QB - I truly feel the Lions are in a really good spot to get their FQB that is raw but has upside. Sitting a year or at least half a year behind Goff is something the Lions will find intriguing.

3. Texans - Travon Walker DL - Lovie Smith has a long way to go to get their D on track and I feel they will start in the trenches with Walker who can play anywhere on the DL for them.

**TRADE**
    Falcons - 4th overall + 163 overall
    Jets - 8th overall + 58th overall + 1st 2023

4. Falcons - Kenny Pickett QB - Arthur Smith wants his guy. He just signed Marcus Mariota and had Tannihill in Tennessee. Pickett is very similar to both QBs only better in my opinion. There is also Smoke linking Pickett to their division rivals in Carolina at #6. I think Atlanta pony’s up and jumps them for the QB they covet.

5. Giants - Ikem Ekwonu OT - Giants need help on their OL and Ikey can play guard or tackle for them.

6. Panthers - Evan Neal OT - Carolina looses out on Pickett so they better protect the starting jobber they throw in at QB whoever that might be.

7. Giants - Kyle Hamilton S - With Peppers moving on the Giants take a position of need that could also be their BPA.

8. Jets - Sauce Gardner - I love KT here but I’m not sure JD/Saleh feel the same way. I think Sauce is a perfect fit for Saleh’s D and now he can have a true rotation in the secondary with DJ, Hall and Sauce.

9. Seahawks- Kayvon Thibodeaux Edge - Pete Carrol will consider Matt Corral here as well but he pulls the trigger on the upside that KT will bring to their D. They might also pull the trigger and trade back into the 1st for Corral if he slides past the saints and Pitt.

10. Jets - Jermaine Johnson Edge - JJ has the moves, size and attitude JD/Saleh covet and I think they won’t think twice about this pick. It’s a huge need and JJ has huge upside.

**Trade**
    Chargers - 35th + 38th + 117th
    Jets - 17th overall

17. Jets - Treylon Burks WR - Once again when their is smoke there is fire and the Jets have been all over him through the draft process. It seems Burks fits the Jets philosophy with his attitude, skill set and gives them a different flavour for Wilson. They jump a few WR needy teams to get their guy and still have a second rounder from Atlanta.

58. Jets - Christian Harris LB - He is full of juice, pair him up with CJ and these 2 Bama boys get to work. He brings speed, tackling and can cover TEs. Hopefully he falls here.

69. Jets - Alec Pierce WR - Adding more weapons for Wilson that is a different flavour. Pierce would fit the vertical threat, with solid hands and 50/50 ball ability in the red zone. Love the double dip here.

111. Jets - Jerome Ford RB - Ford is just too good to pass up here. He can run with speed, with power, run inside, run outside and has a nose for the end zone. I think he’s a perfect fit for MLF and partner for Carter.

**Trade**
    Vikings - 146th
    Jets - 156th + 192

156. Jets - JT Woods S - JD finds a partner to slide back 10 picks and takes Woods who was a ball hawk at Baylor with big upside.

192. Jets - Neil Farrell DT - Run stuffing gap filling bruiser. JD takes a flyer on a kid that can help our run D and has upside.

With this draft it’s evident we need to help Zach Wilson take the next step and get playmakers on D so we don’t get run over in the AFC. I think we accomplished exactly that!

Wilson would be getting a playmaker with safe hands in Burks, a true deep threat in Pierce and combine that with Moore being the intermediate route running technician, Barrios in the slot and Davis on the outside. There would be a lot to be excited about. Plus add Ford to the RB group that also relieves some pressure off Wilson!

On D we are getting a true #1 corner that can match up with size and speed on any WR across from him in sauce. He didn’t allow a TD in 3 years! Then we add the Edge rusher to pair up with Lawson in JJ that has the most true pass rushing moves in the class. Christian Harris is a beast and can fly around making tackles. He’s the perfect partner for CJ in this defence. Woods has upside at safety and can compete with Joyner/Davis for the starting spot. Ferrell is a lottery ticket that most likely is a PS guy but will compete for a spot on Saleh’s DL rotation in camp.

BacktoQueens and WW85 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of this mock at all. I don't want Sauce, I don't think we got enough for trading down, and would want the draft capital THIS year, not next.

I think trading up burning both our 2nd round picks and a 4th would be a colossal mistake and foolish. The Jets cannot afford to burn draft capital trading up for a player. IMO the only valid reason to trade up 95% of the time is to get a QB, Edge or LT. The only other situations where I think it would be acceptable is if one already has a playoff team and has one weak spot that they have either been unable to address satisfactorily in FA or the draft. Then if they think that player X at that position will put them over the top, it's valid.

Trading up twice, would make it doubly dumb imo.

The rest of the time, GMs trade up because they have fallen in love with a player, and that frequently burns them. That player winds up not being as good as they think he will be. For a rebuilding team, it's a total no-no, especially two years in a row. That's not how the best GMs build a team. I would seriously start doubting whether JD was the right man for the GM job if he traded up again in this draft.

3. Rockinz

I have them trading up once and trading back twice.

I have a feeling the Jets will trade back from 4. Sauce wouldn’t be my pick I’d take KT at 4 and not look back. I just have a feeling that’s not what JD will do for some reason. As for the compensation I would do that any day. Atlanta’s pick has a good chance to be top 10 in 2023. In a stacked draft. I would be all over that plus a second this year! I think the compensation is definitely there.

As for trading up I feel if they were willing to use 2 seconds + third and 30 mil a year salary for a WR. Plus he’s done it before for a big need at guard. I definitely feel if there is a player at WR he likes and he gets a 5th year option JD will do it.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You disappointed me with the value received for #4; you lost me with your pick of Sauce.

Rockinz likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

appreciate the effort and I won't say "cant happen" because anything can happen in the draft
    but the trade at 4 to me makes no sense. the falcons give up way too much there. a future 1st and maybe a late pick is more then enough but we won't get a 2nd and a future 1st for them to move up 4 spots. not to mention to take the 2nd best QB in a weak QB class 4th overall. I just don't see it.

I also don't see why the chargers would trade back. they are in win now mode in the toughest division in football and have a good roster. they want to add a stud at 17, they don't have many holes at all.

as far as the jets picks go
    I'd hate sauce over KT. it would be a huge mistake.
    at 10 we wouldn't need johnson if we took sauce. we could take our top WR (hopefully williams)
    we wouldn't have 17
    with the 2 2nds i'd love harris, wouldn't need piece and not sure who else would be there on your list but i'd take travis jones

The later picks I like more ford is a good pick in the 4th. woods is ok for safety but I like bell there better personally. a run stuffing DT is a need so can't complain at 192 but really we need one earlier.

Rockinz likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Yes, agree I’d rather have KT at 4 but unless it’s a masterpiece of a smokes screen by JD I really don’t think he’s the pick. At that point we are better off moving back. As for compensation I think it’s in the ball park if such a trade were to go down. We paid 3 2nd rounders to move from 6 to 3 and so 8 to 4 is comparable. I think we won’t do it unless the first next year is on the table.

To Sauce or Not to sauce is debatable. On 1 side you have the best corner which is a premium position in the draft sitting there at 8. Yes, I would also take KT but what if JD doesn’t have him on his board which is rumoured….

7. Rockinz

It’s what believe is the going rate. That Atlanta pick easily can be top 10 next year. So, grabbing a top 10 pick plus 2nd this year to slide back 4 spots is actually a no brainer if I’m JD.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

No Sauce at 8 and Rachaad White instead of Ford at 111. Otherwise I love the players selected!

Harris is going to be a beast in the NFL, he’s a heat seeking missile!

Rockinz likes this.
  9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

This.

Everyone really needs to put away the draft chart because none of these QB's are viewed to be as good of prospects as Fields or Trey Lance. Getting the Falcons 2023 1st rounder, which looks to be a near-lock for top 5, to go from 4 to 8, would be highway robbery.

Rockinz likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we did a really bad trade though so hard to use that as a barometer. no other trade has been close. sure they'll pay some extra to move up but not that much extra. a future 1st and maybe a 3rd would be the best we would get which is

jets give
    4 1800

jets get
    8 1400
    future 1st 420
    74 220
    total 2040

it's still 1 sided but thats the QB tax and ATL would still have 4 for their QB plus 43 and 58 in round 2 and 82 in round 3 so plenty of picks to make that move

I do think it's possible NO is looking to trade up for a QB. it's why they got an extra 1st this year. it's all that makes sense really and they could give up their 2 1sts to get to 4. (worth 1875) which would allow us to pick at 10, 16, and 19 for edge, WR and BPA (maybe wyatt) and we could probably trade 35 to a good team for a future 1st and they can get an impact player that falls and figure their future 1st will be mid 20s so not a big fall back for them and will have pick 38 plus 2 1sts next year

as far as sauce goes, there is almost 0% chance the jets take him. even connor huges reported it and he's been on point. jets aren't interested in a CB

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe. But that's where relying on pure numbers - "trade value" - falls short. You need to account for expected context. In what is considered a "weak" draft at the top of round 1 - that is, there are very few "slam dunk" players available in the highest positions of value - trading back can prevent you from getting one of those few studs, even if you stay in the top 10. I'd rather get more picks and go back into the 10-20 range where I can still get guys that will step right in, plus a few more. That said, if JD doesn't have anyone rated as worth the #4 for him, I could see him consider what you're proposing, but again I think he should get more for moving back.

12. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I see that now you listed by what the team was getting rather than what the team was giving up. That's the opposite of how I've normally seen it listed, and it threw me.

What makes you think the draft will be stacked next year?

He traded up last year because he was desperate to get an OG to help protect Zach's blind side. That was acceptable because of the reason why he traded up, but it still wasn't the ideal thing to do. Just because he traded up last year doesn't mean that he will or should again this year. If he does, that will be a mistake on his part, no matter whom he takes. Top GMs don't do that. After trading up, they trade down the next year to recoup those picks. They know that trading up is something that should be done rarely. That's something that rebuilding teams should not do except to get a QB, LT or Edge or a situation like last year.

It's one thing to get a stud WR who would help ensure our young QB develops and takes our offense to the next level. It's quite another to take some rookie that he's fallen in love with who could bust.

Rockinz likes this.
  13. Rockinz

It’s a track record that he isn’t afraid to pull the trigger on a prospect he likes. Quite possible it doesn’t happen and he just waits till the second round but in this scenario but I had him getting aggressive for a player he is linked too.

14. Rockinz

Hey man I hope ur right lol more would be better but I truly feel that’s in the wheel house of a potential trade.

15. Rockinz

I’d take KT personally but Sauce to me is just a great fit and CB is a impact position. I can see him be the guy they covet in that situation.

16. Rockinz

I’m not huge on the chart inside the top 10 and when a QB is involved… look at the price SF paid to move up last year as well.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Not sure about trades, but I love every single player you drafted.

I've made it known Sauce and JJ are my two top picks for the Jets. Not to steal your thunder, but I will be doing a Mock a week before the draft, waiting on a possible trade (WR). To be fair, I won't be drafting one of my top 2 players.

Burks would be great target for Zach. Perfect big body dominant receiver we need.

We need to call the Jets the "Bearcats" with 3 Cincy players.

I was watching games to see Pitre and Woods really stood out, good pick.

I think we could add some OT depth and maybe another TE.

#17 WW85, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    BacktoQueens and Rockinz like this.
  18. Rockinz

Those bearcats on film sure looked good. Watching their games it really feels that their core players will be really good at the next level. JD must see it too.

19. Rockinz

JD has done it twice before. When you factor in jumping a division rival that also might covet him the pick would only be on the table for a price like that.

20. NCJetsfan

and

I'm curious on your opinions on Pitre. You obviously like him. Please tell me what you like about him.

I like the fact that he was a CB, and probably will be moving to S in the NFL, and he seems to have been a bit of a ballhawk, but I read an article of scouting report that said he was very stiff moving laterally, and maybe that he had stiff hips and didn't pivot well or something to that extent. Is that fair or accurate? Have you seen it? Initially I liked Pitre and had him right there with Hill, Cine and Brisker, but after I read that, I lost interest in him. Does he offer anything that Cine and Brisker don't?