Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It IS the worst idea. More than likely any WR taken late in the draft will be of 0 help this season, may never develop, and almost certainly will never be a stud, #1-type WR. Neither Davis, nor Moore, nor Berrios could stay healthy last season. For much of the season our QBs were having to throw to truck drivers and Grocery Store bag boys. They cannot keep doing that and expect to win or to develop a young QB. They need a WR who can step in and produce day one at a high level.

THIS year is the key for Zach, adding a WR next year won't be any help to him. Developing Zach is the #1 priority of this team. Period. Some of you guys need to understand that. It doesn't matter if you don't like him or don't think the Jets should have drafted him. They did, and he's our starter. If you guys are truly Jets fans, you will root for him, and you will want the team to do everything possible to ensure that he develops into a FQB, including waiting to address some needs on D until next year if need be. This team is not going to win unless Zach develops. If he doesn't, we'll be trying to find a new QB, having to trade the ranch to move up in the draft, and quite possibly looking for a new CS and GM. That would ensure that we won't be winning any time soon.

#21 NCJetsfan, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Jets79 and mrmajix like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Burks plays faster than that, and thrived playing in the best football conference in the collegiate world. He has better hands, is better at YAC, and is a better all-around football player.

#22 NCJetsfan, Apr 2, 2022
    Mogriffjr, Jojo and Rockinz like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

No they shouldn't. I'll bet that they aren't even going to draft a CB, nor should they. It's the deepest position group we have. WR and Edge are glaring needs. We have other needs as well. Taking Gardner would be a luxury pick as would taking Linderbaum. That's not going to happen. The Jets are building from the trenches out. They'll be more likely to take an OT than Gardner.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Thankfully, the Jets don't have to choose between a WR who has great speed and crummy hands and a slow WR with great hands. London is slow and doesn't have good hands or he doesn't have good focus because he drops lots of passes in contested catch situations, and with his slowness, in the NFL every catch could be a contested catch.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t mind a respectful debate with a fellow Jet any day Revision.

Would have been and is are 2 very different things when it comes to stats. I’ll be honest I’m not a stats guy. I just see a player watch his tape and make my judgment on him. Burks dropped 3 balls all year which was around 4% while London dropped around 9% and dropped 2 easy ones in what’s regarded as his best game vs Wash st.

London vs Burks when it comes to YAC isn’t even close on film… Burks literally is like a running back once he gets the ball in his hands and has one of the best stiff arms of all time.

London is taller, better at jumping and boxing out receivers with his basketball pedigree. Burks is just a pure football player that has better hands, speed, size (girth), toughness, agility, football awareness, YAC, route running and most of clean bill of health. I don’t think it’s even close to be real with you. London reminds me exactly of Nkeal Harry and Burks reminds me of Andrea Johnson/AJ Brown.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  6. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Stats tell a different story... though.

Unless you think other WRs never drop passes too.

He has one of the best % of contested catch in all college.

As I said, I am willing to get back 3 or 4 years from now and look back at the WRs. I am very confident Drake would be prime time target for his QB which ever team draft him. He is amazing at winning 1 on 1 and he is great at using his size to his full advantage.

REVISion likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just want to watch a full Jets 17 game season where I don’t see guys I’ve never heard of running routes out there for an entire game.

We’ve seen way too many Jeff Smith, DJ Montgomery and JJ Jones types over the past couple years.

cval, REVISion, Rockinz and 2 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? London doesn’t have good hands?! And he doesn’t have good hands in contested catch situations? Have you ever seen him play?

If you want to talk numbers he caught 88 balls on 119 targets (74%) as the sole provider of offense. 15 targets a game on average. He had double digit catches in 5/9 games last year. He caught almost half of Slovis’s completions against Utah and more than half of his completions against Notre Dame.

And that’s playing with a quarterback(s) who stared him down and were afraid to throw to anyone else.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-wr-drake-london-usc

#28 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 2, 2022
    REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Yes, I've seen him play. He has something like an 8-10% drop rate in contested catch situations. It might be a lack of focus vs hands, but it is an issue, particularly with all the dropped passes we had last year, and with his lack of foot speed, most of his catches in the NFL are likely to be contested catches.

10. NCJetsfan

No, stats don't tell a different story. He had more contested catches than any other WR in the draft, but that's because he's slow as shit. His drop rate on contested catches is between 8-10%. That's not good, considering how many dropped passes our WRs had last year, and the likelihood that most of his catches in the NFL will be contested catches. There's no way I'd take him and that's saying something because I've been saying all offseason that the Jets need a taller WR where Zach can just throw the ball up and let the receiver go get it. It's not every day a 6'6" WR comes down the pike. I really wanted to like him, and have rarely been as disappointed as I was in him. I don't see the attraction at all. I'd take another shrimp at WR over him every single time. That's how much I dislike him as a prospect. Watson is 6'4" and Burks is 6'3" I think. One of those two can give us the tall WR we need

11. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

We will revisit that in a year or two.

12. NCJetsfan

For certain. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before, and undoubtedly it will happen again and again. I've also been right a lot more than I've been wrong, however. If the Jets draft him, I will try to root that I was wrong about him and root for him to be succesful, but it will be hard. The drops will have to stop immediately, and he will have to prove to me that he can get open, stay healthy, and make a great contribution to our offense. I truly hope I don't have to cross that bridge, however.

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

They’re all glaring needs. Pick an elite player at either CB, Edge or receiver. My personal favorite is Gardner. I don’t believe those receivers have the elite traits that Gardner does. In a perfect world, I’d take an edge and Gardner with those two picks and take a receiver and whatever else in the second. But make no mistake, your corners are not “deep” lol. You don’t even have quality starters let alone any depth behind them. It’s a huge area of weakness just like the other positions are. Pick any of them and you’re doing well.

James Hasty likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Bc Jets fans want instant gratification. Moore will have a better 2022 season than any receiver drafted in RD1

BrowningNagle and James Hasty like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

London is better after the catch (backed up by the numbers) and London produced a lot more in terms of catches and yards, so I don't know how those could go in favor of Burks.

London led every single receiver in the nation in missed tackles forced per game.

We've gotta stop this "lack of foot speed" thing when the guy we're comparing London against ran a 4.55 with awful agility numbers.

Us London people aren't even saying he's especially fast, just that he's fast enough (probably about the same as Burks) but significantly bigger than Burks, a better route runner and a better jumper.

It makes absolutely 0 sense to think London will struggle beating DBs but Burks won't. I guarantee if London runs a 4.6 you guys won't hand-waive it away and say he "plays faster" than that.

#35 REVISion, Apr 2, 2022
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’ll take that bet.
    The Jets draft Sauce before 10, I win. The Jets draft OL before 10, you win.

Any other scenario is a push.

if you agree to those terms, let’s come up with something to bet.

17. Rockinz

London ran away from nobody on film where Burks ran away from Alabamas secondary and Texas A&M. His football speed in full pads is ridiculously fast for 6’2” 225.

Also London isn’t bigger than Burks he’s taller. Burks is much bigger (thickness/girth) and stronger.

18. REVISion

How can you run away from nobody while leading the nation in missed tackles forced?

19. Rockinz

I didn’t see it on film. I didn’t see one play where he ran away from the secondary for a TD on a Go/Post deep passing play. With Burks I saw several. The 4.55 combine 40 is one thing football speed is another. On the play where Burks torches Texas A&M he even stumbles a bit and still the DB couldn’t get a glove on him.

20. REVISion

So you value absolute top speed over quickness and agility in wide receivers?