How will the Jets OVERCOME the Elite AFC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 19, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the team doesn't suffer any major injuries this season and don't win at least 7-8 games, it's a total indictment of the CS, NOT JD. He listened to the CS and has gotten them the players and types of players they want. It is their job to put them into a position to succeed, have good game plans and execute. If the players aren't executing, it's on the players and the CS, again not on JD. JD hasn't made any head-scratching type picks and he has added very talented, athletic, faster players to the roster who love football and have great character. He hasn't added any lazy players, those who are playing just for the $s, hasn't signed a bunch of older/expensive FAs who don't really want to be here, and hasn't added players that have off-field issues or who would be problems/distractions in the lockerroom or on the field. We all know that the draft is a crap shoot. So is hiring a HC. You never know who will succeed and who will fail, but JD hired a HC who has a CEO-type mentality, who is inspirational, whom players respect and love and for whom they want to play. JD has secured extra picks with trades, gotten amazing return in trades, and great value with his FA additions.

If JD has another great draft, and the team still struggles this season, anyone who tries to blame JD is flat out wrong and using poor judgment.

No one likes their record, but after a decade of inept, awful, embarrassing FA periods and drafts, nothing better could have been expected. I think we could swap JD for any of the top GMs in the game when they first became a GM, and their record would have been no better with the Jets than JD's has been, and could have been a lot worse. Anyone who expected a better record with the awful and almost complete lack of talent on the roster simply isn't being realistic with his/her expectations.

2. NCJetsfan

3. NCJetsfan

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He hired the coaching staff.

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

My hope is that we are much more competitive. I think 8-8 would be about as high a benchmark as is realistic. The key is for Zack, and all of our other young players, to really start to show improvement. if that happens, I'll consider the season an unqualified success.

papapump and Jets79 like this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

It would also be nice if we could stopping being a punching bag for the rest of the AFCE. Haven't won a game against our rivals in two years. It has to start there. If they ever hope to get good and one day get into the playoffs then they need to start winning divisional games.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One thing people somehow keep failing to realize is the NFL is a very close sport. All of these guys are talented. All of the coaches are smart. So it is key difference makers that sets your team apart. That is why QB is so important. O-line to protect the QB. D-line to get to the QB. etc. It is not rocket science. The AFC looks stacked due to solid QB play, but who is to say Zach Wilson won't be one of those great QB's? We don't know yet. I think the AFC has better overall teams, but the NFC is strong. The Rams, Buccaneers, Packers, Cowboys, Cardinals, 49ers, will all be really good. It's tough to win in the NFL any season. No excuses for the Jets. They have to find a way to get better and win more games in 2022.

papapump, LAJet, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What's discouraging to me is that even when we were terrible in the past, we would still manage to beat Miami at least once. It seems like forever since we've beat them.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I will be very disappointed if we go 0'Fer in the division again.

The Dark Knight and bicketybam like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that needs to change in 2022. I think the Jets can split with the entire division and go (3-3). That should be the minimum team goal, at least. I know Buffalo is tough, but the Jets need to find a way to compete with the top teams. They have no excuse to not split with the Dolphins and Patriots.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The problem with your wish is the talent gap between the Jets and the rest of the AFCE. The gap got wider over the winter even with our multiple signings. Just more evidence on just how far behind we are. We're not splitting with BUF. We're not splitting with NE mainly because the Jets can't beat them "mentally". We always find a way to lose against them. They talk a great game, then go on the field and get their asses collectively kicked annually. MIA with Hill will sweep the Jets again unless if by some miracle we get AJ Brown or DK Metcalf or draft a WR that can take the top off the secondary and our new OL meshes quick enough to protect ZW.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

I don't think the talent gap is that far apart. Buffalo is building a team that is Super Bowl or bust, so they clearly have the best roster, but they are still beatable. New England and Miami are not better than the Jets. At least in my opinion. There would be no excuse for Robert Saleh to be swept by either of them. Last year the Jets had bad luck against the Patriots. Wilson instantly threw 3 picks in the first half in Game 1 and then was injured instantly in Game 2. Both bad efforts by the Jets. That can't happen again this year. Both Miami games were also close. One with Flacco, one with Zach. If the Jets want to make serious progress, they need to start winning these games.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold is the crux of our problem in my view. While I think we most definitely need to improve our receiving corps by adding outside threats, I don't think we will win many games by high scoring shoot outs against the teams in the division nor top teams in the AFC. Why? Because IMO along with their good offense, they all have a better, or much better D than us. We desperately need a killer pass rush, ability to stop the run and better corners to keep up with their receivers. If we are not able to slow them down at least some we will be toast. Let us not kid ourselves thinking that by adding a great WR or even two will solve the problem, we need to upgrade heavily both sides of the ball, and this draft need to address that for us to take a major jump in closing the gap.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The talent gap between the Jets and the other AFCE teams is significant at this point. The coaching gap between the Jets and the Bills and Pats is significant.

If you're expecting more than 1-5 against the division you are likely to be disappointed.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

I do. The Jets disappointing me would not be the first time, but I think it will be different in 2022.

LAJet likes this.