2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don’t know that a traditional NT is a fit for this defense as shown by Foley having his worse statistical year along with the 49ers lacking someone in that role.

Regarding the rotation of 8, we have:
    Lawson, Q, JFM, Marshall, Thomas, Huff, Rankins, and Martin amongst others.

Which 2 of these are getting cut to make room for the 2 DL you plan on drafting?

barfolomew likes this.
  2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Werent we the number one rushing d when jd took over?

3. KingRoach

As Saleh has said, a receiver doesn’t have to be a WR, it could be a TE or RB.

Trading for the best WR in the game is not the same as spending a top pick on a WR.

I won’t be disappointed if we draft a WR in the 1st but the reaction of this board is we don’t draft one will be priceless.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, stats without context are just numbers. When teams can throw against you at will, why should they run, thus holding the rushing stats.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That’s his agent trying to boost his stock

cval likes this.
  6. KingRoach

Are you suggesting he’s not shooting to be ready for the regular season?

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes in Gregg Williams' scheme, but then Williams was fired, Gase was fired, and the schemes changed. Also, our being #1 was a bit of a mirage because teams could pretty easily pass on us. They didn't need to run the ball.

8. NCJetsfan

I'm not planning on drafting 2 DL. You must have me confused with someone else. Marshall struggles vs the run. He is listed behind Rankins, but he isn't a run-stuffing DT. Q, JFM and Marshall are ALL 3T DTs. Rankins probably is as well. The Jets don't have a prototypical run-stuffing DT on the roster. An NT would totally fit the scheme. An NT doesn't just come in one flavor where he sits back. Some of them attack and push the pocket and get good pressure up the middle. Shepherd could easily get cut, and for that matter Rankins could get cut. Rankins was awful vs the run last season and only fair vs the pass. He wasn't nearly as good as he was with the Saints.

joelip likes this.
  9. KingRoach

Why would a teams ability to throw on is affect yards per carry (in which we were top 10)?

10. KingRoach

My mistake I don’t know where I got that idea.

Oh… this is where I got the idea

11. NCJetsfan

That's listing possible players that I think the Jets will take at each of those positions. Did you think I meant that the Jets were going to take 3 Edges, 4 WRs, 5 OTs AND 3 DTs?

12. NCJetsfan

Since they are focused on developing Zach (as they should be!), I believe that they will keep 4 TEs and 6 WRs. They don't need to keep 9-10 DL like they did last year.

LAJet likes this.
  13. KingRoach

No… I think you predicted the Jets would draft an edge, a wr, an OT, and a DT.

DT + DE = 2 DL

Now that we have that cleared up, let’s go back to the original question:

Regarding the rotation of 8, we have:
    Lawson, Q, JFM, Marshall, Thomas, Huff, Rankins, and Martin

Which 2 are you cutting to make room for the 2 new DL you want to draft?
    You already mentioned Rankins so who’s the other?

14. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Remember that unlike last year's team, this year's team will have 2 very good TEs who are solid receivers. Depth is important but the question is whether you are choosing to give up depth at other positions (particularly OL) to have a 6th wide receiver, that barring injuries to 2 other receivers at the same time is not likely to see the field very much. Our Oline depth is very weak, I'm scared of what the team will put out there if just one of the starting 5 go down on the Oline. For example, If one of our guards goes down, are you ready to see GVR starting again? If you had to choose between using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 6th wide receiver, versus a backup guard, which is the wiser choice? In my view, I'd much rather have a good backup guard and not have to worry about seeing GVR on the field again.

Once again, I am not against drafting a 2nd wide receiver (assuming that they draft one with one of their 1st round picks) with a 4th or 5th round pick, but, in my view, the higher draft picks are better utilized on other positions where we need depth, rather than a 6th wide receiver.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. KingRoach

I’ve been loving the idea of drafting Zion in the low 20s to be our starting C/ backup OG.

barfolomew and Noam like this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think he comes into the fold midway through the season and doesn’t do much. His true rookie season will be in 2023

cval likes this.
  17. KingRoach

I think that’s a good call regardless of how hard he trains.

I bet he still goes b4 20. I’d love for Atlanta to get Williams at 8 and Ojabo in the 2nd and say FU22, we’re building for 2023

Rockinz likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Marshall is not part of the rotation, but he could be cut anyway. Shepherd is part of the rotation and as I said in my previous post, he could be cut and Rankins could be cut. That would leave Thomas and the rookie, and occasionally JFM in passing situations.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. KingRoach

Btw you wanting to dump our 6th rd DL pick and the other guy wanting to dump our 5th rd S convert… how long do you think developmental pieces need to develop usually? A week, maybe 2?

20. NCJetsfan

The only OL depth position for which a 2nd round pick may be used is for OT, and that's only because of the Becton injury and Fant's contract. 2nd round picks are generally starters unless one has a very deep and strong team, and we are nowhere near that point yet. We're not drafting an OG or C in the 2nd round, and probably not in the 3rd round, either, as a lot of them wind up as starters or rotational players. If we draft an OT in the 2nd round, Edoga can be cut. If we draft an OG in the 4th or 5th round, he could supplant GVR on the roster. I think LDT will sign with us as depth at OG. He's going to hold out as long as he can and hopes he gets a starting gig somewhere, but hopefully, he will wind up signing here and replacing GVR. If we draft an IOL that can play C like Parham or Cole Strange, Luke Fortner or maybe Alec Lindstrom, he could supplant Feeney on the roster or be on the PS.

barfolomew likes this.