2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For a couple of reasons. One, Saleh is on record multiple times as basically saying he wants 8 starting-quality players on the DL. He likes to rotate players to keep them fresh and doesn't want any drop off in level of play and production. Two, while it isn't the only reason the Jets were awful vs the run last season, the play at the DT position beside Q was a major part of the problem. Shepherd isn't the answer, and Rankins was awful vs the run. I could even potentially see them cut Rankins after the draft when they draft an NT.

2. NCJetsfan

They may not, but Connor Hughes has been pretty darned accurate with everything else he has said this offseason regarding the Jets. He seems to have a source inside of the Jets. It could be a smokescreen. I'd rather it be a smokescreen and the Jets using Hughes to get that false info out because I don't want any reporter having a source that feeds him info on important things like this. If other teams know what the Jets are going to do in the draft, it will hurt the Jets.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is part of our issue this draft. From what I can see there are only 5 blue chips, not counting QBs who are a different beast:
    Neil
    Hutch
    Ekwanu
    Hamilton
    Thibs

So while we should get a blue chip at 4, our options are limited. Like you said, there are several very good prospects that don't quite merit blue chip status. But I think most here would be upset if we took any of them at 4. The good news is the blue chips available this year are at at positions of need.

barfolomew and K'OB like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I'm not certain about much with the Jets except regarding JD and Zach, and maybe Becton. That's the way JD wants it.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If the blue chip we want most is not available I am all in favour of trying to get as many picks in the 15-28 region as possible, plenty of really interesting talent in this area (projected) that it would be great to have another pick or two before our seconds and after our #10

#1085 K'OB, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    barfolomew, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, #4 is usually around the area you start juuuuuust missing out on the true blue chip guys at premium positions.

Like Hutchinson is by far the safest pass rusher in my mind. He will definitely be gone by 4. All the others have some question marks. Johnson is a little bit older and a one year wonder. Walker has questionable pass rushing ability. Thib the alleged character concerns.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Sounds promising

barfolomew, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

But isn't the real question, with strong TEs, what percentage of a teams offensive plays are run with 4 or more WRs. For GB, that number is 4%, for Dallas its 3%. Assuming, similar personnel package usage from the Jets, three or fewer WRs would be used on 95%+ of their offensive plays and those three would be Moore, Davis & their new high draft pick, with Berrios and Mims backing them up.

9. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I loved Fatukasi and he was our best run defender before last season. The problem is that he's not a good fit in our new scheme. Still the Jets wanted to keep him and tried to keep him, but he was getting too much money per season. JD felt the Jets could not afford $10 million per season for a player who is primarily a run stuffer, and I agree with him. That's why they didn't sign the Niners DJ Jones, whom everyone thought they would sign to replace him. He also got $10 million per season. Phillips isn't all that. You know what happens when you "assume." I think you are wrong. I think that JD will re-sign Q unless he wants too much money.

JD has a salary structure in mind for the team. In the cap era, one has to do that. One has to think about how much cap is tied up in individual players as well as units. With Saleh wanting 8 deep on the DL and with what Edges cost, there's no way that JD could pay his run-stuffing DTs $10 million per season.

There is no pattern. The roster was absolute crap, worst in the NFL when JD took over. Why should he keep many of those players? That's not going to build a winner. JD has kept the players that were good scheme fits and who didn't want too much money. He has allowed those who weren't that good, weren't scheme fits or who wanted too much money to walk. That's a huge difference. He's using discretion and being wise, rather than it being some dumb pattern. JD re-signed Berrios, he would have re-signed Maye, but Maye wanted crazy money, then got a DUI and didn't tell the Jets, and then got injured (or vice versa). Maye did that to himself. He made it impossible for JD to keep him. Still he tagged him last season and kept him when he could have let him walk. Enunwa was given a crazy contract and suffered a serious injury. For a while, letting Anderson walk looked like it was a mistake, but it hasn't turned out to be. In the 2020 offseason, JD re-signed Poole for a season, then allowed him to walk in 2021, and no one rushed out to sign Poole. Also in the 2020 offseason, JD re-signed Neville Hewitt, Arthur Maulet, Jordan Jenkins, James Burgess Jr., and David Fales. This offseason he re-signed Eddie Piniero, Tevin Coleman, Joe Flacco, Nick Bawden, Jeff Smith, LaMarcus Joyner, and Conor McDermott. Further, how many players that Mac drafted are even still in the NFL? Was JD supposed to keep the trash that Mac collected? He has kept players and given them opportunities, then replaced them when he could get a better player. So your pattern is nothing of the kind. In fact, the pattern is that if a player plays well, JD will keep him, and if not, he upgrades/replaces them, just as any good GM will do.

JD didn't create a massive hole. That's hyperbole. He can't help it if Fatukasi wanted more than the Jets could reasonably pay. If Fatukasi had been more like Berrios, and willing to accept less to stay here, he would still be here. The Jets drafted him in the 6th round and gave him the opportunity and helped turn him into a quality player. I don't blame him for wanting to make as much as he could, but he could have more loyalty like Berrios did. I can't fault JD for allowing Fatukasi to walk.

#1089 NCJetsfan, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    barfolomew and mrjet80 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Huh? We're taking an Edge. Of that I'm certain. We're not going to skip on taking an Edge just because KT isn't there at #4.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I don't and don't think we will as there aren't many quality NTs or run-stuffing DTs in this draft who can also pressure the QB. About the only NT whom I think could possibly be there in the 3rd and worth taking is Eyioma Uwazurike. That could happen, and they take a LB in the 2nd, but I'd be surprised as Saleh values the DL above all on D.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry that you don't get the importance of depth, particularly after last season. We should never again trot out the likes of Tariq Black, Montgomery, Jeff Smith, the other Smith that we let go last season and the like. Having PS level (or worse) WRs as depth is not acceptable for any NFL team that is trying to get to and win a SB, nor is it acceptable for a team who is trying to develop a young QB.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

On any given Sunday it is likely at least one WR will be injured if not two, three, four or five. Last year CD and Moore each missed half the year. Berrios missed a ton. Jeff Smith got the most snaps at receiver at least one game (i believe it was against Jax).

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Listen to the Doctor on moving the chains. It will most likely take a bit longer for him to be 100%

REVISion likes this.
  15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Hey I love the D as much as Saleh does, but compared to edge, wr, and oline it rates low for me. Maybe our last pick in the 2nd round, i could see because there is a logic to taking edge first and then a dt. But any earlier than that would be a bad move. It would be a rex ryan draft move. I loved him as coach but rex was a shit drafter.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. barfolomew

KT and the other guy is cool. Anybody other than that. Im not sold.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My way of looking at it is simple. In the breakdown of a healthy 53 man roster there is a finite number for the combined TE/WR corps that is normally nine, may be ten on a rare cases. They will also stash a WR and a TE in the practice squad, but I cant imagine a scenario where the number will be higher than that. The breakdown is typically 6 WR and 3 TE. They will then suit 5 WRs on game day. I can very well see that mix with the Jets. So the chances of us going deeper than 6 starters are IMHO very slim if we want to give the rest of the positions an equal chance to succeed.

18. barfolomew

True and if injuries do happen you bring up people during the year to fill the benches, not to start.

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Last year was pretty rare where are top 6 WRs were injured but the entire season was rare from an injury standpoint. It might be the worst injury I can recall maybe even worse than 2005.

But, we certainly need more than 3 viable WRs. In the modern game receivers and rbs are injured a lot and miss time. At the minimum we need 4 strong WRs. This year should be about doing all we can to develop our young QB. Last year the team let him down and failed to give him healthy skill players, healthy OL or an adequate defense. They need to do better by him and like Saleh told him on draft day lift him up rather than what we saw last year where Zach had to do the heavy lifting. We can't have games like last year where Jeff Smith would get the most WR snaps or we would play a game where the offense had only 2 starters plus Zach.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. We need 4 strong receivers plus Berrios as the utility knife. The question is how many TE will we keep and will there be room for one more WR.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.