A little discussion...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Mar 28, 2022.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

After looking at free agency, our own players being resigned, and now looking toward the draft.

Looking at what we have on both sides of the ball, we definitely have needs.

What are some opinions if we went as follows:

4- Sauce (every Italian loves a great gravy)
    10- Burk's
    35- Watson
    38- McBride

With that type of draft this offense better be top 5-7...the remaining picks on defense and a big ass bruising running back like A.J. Dillon

Cman68 and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

seems ok to me... but I have never been a dratfnik...

i usually only have well formed opinions on a handful to a dozen or so players...

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I can definitely see the first 2 picks. I don’t know about Watson.. seems like a land mine to me

4. blackssmagic

I hate this time of year to be honest. All these mock drafts and anonymous scouts saying things etc...

I looked at this as what would provide the greatest bang for the buck. I am way far from being a draft expert. More so, looking at this team and trying to think a few years out

5. blackssmagic

I have watched his film, and while I am definitely not a expert. What I liked was the size/speed combination. His athleticism is the hands down best in this draft. Question is was it because he played in FCS or is he really that good? Is he the next Copper Kupp or Denzel Mims?

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

First two picks would inject a lot of skill into this roster..

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I just think he was underwhelming.. looks like a track and field athlete not a football player.. plus if he’s all that why wouldn’t he transfer out of division 2 or even dominate division 2 with all American honours.. he had none of that… I think he is fools gold

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

While I think you have the right mindset, I dont think that’s what they will/should do.

1st thing is that both Douglas and Saleh have stated that they want to build the trenches and we’re continuing to hear that this off-season. I don’t believe this is some smokescreen. This is a core philosophy of what both men believe. Both men probably think could the last time they have the opportunity to draft in the top 10 whether it’s because the team improves or they don’t and both men are fired. So with that said, I don’t see any scenario where they stay at 4 and 10 and DON’T take at least one player on the offensive or defensive line.

Despite what some might think I think it could be very likely they take Icky Ikwonu if he’s there at 4. Otherwise I think it’s definitely KT or Jermaine Johnson at 4. At 10 I could see them going receiver there though if Wilson or London aren’t there I am not sure Burks is a top 10 talent in the eyes of the scouts and league as a whole. I could see them trading back up into the 20s to get him later in the round.

Lastly, while McBride is a fan favorite, I am less optimistic they will take him in the 2nd round. I have followed their comments in the Senior bowl closely. It didn’t seem like they were head over heels for McBride and thought the group had things they needed to work on according to Middleton. Now it could be a smokescreen but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be true. This is deep class and we seemed to have improved by going after two decent free agents to fix the position. My guess is we will address it in 3rd round or later.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

its a bit nitpicky... but WE KNOW that scouts and the league misses players EVERY SINGLE YEAR

this isnt a defense of the player as I havent a strong opinion about him...

i'd put as much stock in my own opinions as many "experts" you probably should too.
    worst that could happen is we are just as clueless as they are!

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I’m not saying they can’t be wrong. Maybe Burks goes that high because Douglas is damn sure he’s going to be a stud here, but he also seems to know how to move around the draft board. I think he would most likely try to trade down to acquire a guy like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Losmeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be happy at all with picks #4 and #38. Edge is the 2nd biggest need we have. There's no way that JD should pass up taking an Edge in the 1st round, but if not, he has to take one in the 2nd round (Arnold Ebiketie or Boye Mafe). I'd love adding Burks and Watson. Skip Sauce, take an Edge at #4 as we should, Take Burks and Watson, then Cine or Brisker at #38. We need a S in the 2nd round. I don't want McBride. He's too slow, not that tall, and I don't think the Jets will be looking to take a TE that early, and may not take one at all. I think they should take one in this strong and deep draft. I'd love to add Ruckert, but he will likely go in the 2nd or the 3rd at the latest, and if the Jets take one, I think it will be in the 4th or 5th round. I want them to take either Cade Otton or Jelani Woods. Otton is a complete TE in that he is a good blocker and a very good receiver. He's no burner, but he's fast enough, a good route runner, and a smart route runner. Jelani Woods has a ton of talent and is huge. He's raw, but could wind up being the best TE in this draft class.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

For me it's Hamilton and Lloyd at 4 and 10. (this is assuming both pass rushers are gone, which should go without saying) The middle of the defense is going to get steamrolled by any team (coughPatriots) that is built for December if they don't get stout.

I love Sauce's game and think he has a chance to be a really special pro, but the dude can't tackle. 4 is way too early for a corner that can't tackle, you want the total package or you want Deion Sanders.

I think they'll end up trading for another receiver and then maybe grab one in the second round again. Who knows who will fall?

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the Jets like Burks a lot, but that could be a smokescreen. That said, Burks is one of only 2 players in the draft that at this point every team in the league has interviewed. That says something about what NFL scouts think of him as opposed to the media and fans. They could take him at #10, but I think JD would probably try to trade down to the mid-teens and take him. I hope that he doesn't burn draft capital for the 2nd draft in a row trading up. That would be a mistake imo, even if he gets a good player I like. We need MORE picks, not less. It's not often a team has 4 picks in the top 38, and that shouldn't be squandered. I think your comment in your other post was spot on regarding their not drafting this high again any time soon. I don't think they're worried about their jobs, but think the team will become a playoff team by next season.

I would be shocked if the Jets have any serious interest in McBride. They want SPEED. They have made numerous comments over the last year about how speed kills. McBride is S - L - O - W as is London. I doubt the Jets have any interest in either. I sure hope they don't.

I think they need another TE and should take one in this strong and deep TE class. I think it will be at least the 4th round, if not the 5th when they take one however. I think the two they should be strongly considering are Cade Otton and Jelani Woods. Our TE Coach was leading the workout at Woods' Pro Day, so that may speak volumes about the Jets' interest in Woods.