GAC - Mock Draft 3.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 24, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Done so far in offseason

Re-signings:
    Braxton Berrios
    Will Parks
    Mike White
    Eddy Pineiro
    Joe Flacco
    Conor McDermott
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Nick Bawden
    Tevin Coleman
    Nathan Shepherd

Free Agency:
    Laken Tomlinson, RG
    CJ Uzomah, TE
    Jordan Whitehead, SS
    DJ Reed, CB
    Tyler Conklin, TE
    Jake Martin, EDGE

Projected moves

Cuts:
    Ryan Griffin (3.2M)
    GVR (3.5)

Free Agency:
    Linval Joseph DT (2 years 8 mil)
    Keelan Cole WR (1 year 2 mil)

Draft

I'm going to do this with no trades and be as realistic as possible. also doing 2 versions depending where KT falls

version 1 (If KT i there at 4)

4 - Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE
    I really think he's going to slide to 4. I think the top 3 go ekwonu, hutch, neal. O-line and edge are all premium positions, houston likely wants to sure up the o-line to see what they have in mills when he has some help. it's also a deep class and after they trade watson which is coming soon they'll have more picks to address other needs like well basically their whole team. as good as hamilton is, i'd take him if KT and hutch are gone but I think being a safety he's gonna fall a little

10 - Drake London
    It seems more and more likely we are targeting a WR in the draft. JD has been linked to burks and london which makes sense wanting a bigger guy for the outside with davis. which moves moore and berrios as the 2 slots. personally I prefer wilson if we do go WR at 10 but it appears london and burks are the 2 we are looking at most and it seems to me the jets prefer london but burks is also possible

35 - Travis Jones DT
    Jets clearly want to build the lines. we lost foley and I brought in joseph to compete for that as well as sheaprd but clearly we want a young cheap stud there and jones will fit nicely next to Q and joseph, marshall and shepard can battle for roster spots while Q is backed up by rankins and JFM when he slides inside.

38 - Christian Watson WR
    He blew up the combine and jumped from a 4th rounder to likely a 2nd. some have rumored even a 1st. The thing is I can't understand why he isn't rated higher and was rated so low to begin with. his film is clean and he just dominated. his combine showed his athletic ability but his film is even cleaner as he made it look too easy so I think people are in the mind the competition was too weak and he wasn't tested but realistically I think he was just that good and has the tools and ability to flash in the NFL as well. just because we took 1 WR high doesn't mean a 2nd one doesn't make sense. davis has only 1 year left after this year and can dumped in the offseason with no dead cap if both Wrs look legit and davis doens't show up enough to justify it. berrios is likely departing in 2024 as well and is just a depth guy. this means in 2024 we can be looking at a london, watson, moore trio as the top guys and plus we'll have depth in the meantime for injuries

69 - Greg Dulcich TE
    I know we signed uzomah but he's 29 on a 3 year deal and we brought in conklin too, but that doesn't mean we can't look at a 3rd TE. Dulcich offers a lot in the passing game and I think is underrated and a steal here. I think he's TE2 behind mcbride.

111 - Troy Anderson LBer
    a smart pure athlete. 4.0 GPA and class Valedictorian in high school. played QB/HB until switching to LBer for his final 2 years. he's smart, can read offenses and has great short area burst. fits saleh's system well and could QB the D from the sam position. basically a mosley replacement who can sit behind mosley for a year

117 - Jerome Ford RB
    we have carter but not much behind him. coleman is who is he and is on a cheap 1 year deal. we still need a !B to carters 1A as MLF likes to rotate RBs and keep them fresh. ford is a similar back to carter but also has homerun speed and fits the system well

146 - cole strange - OG
    Depth on the o-line is always important. We've obviously locked in our starters for the next 3-4 years with AVT and tomlinson but adding more depth always helps. especially if we need a replacement at some point because we can't resign AVT or have to cut tomlinson in 3 years. he's been rumored as a JD favorite and fits all the JD qualities of team captain and high football IQ

163 - Markquese bell - S
    JD loves late round DBs. joyner is on a 1 year deal, we added whitehead. davis and pinnock are the depth. Bell can compete for a spot and fits the system well. the 6-2 212lb safety and former WR earned a 9.54RAS has great ball trakcing skills and is stout as a run defender. could be a late round gem DB which has been JDs specialty lately between hall, echols, guidry, and carter II

Analsys:

I think this draft really fits the JD mold. WR is a target and we likely take 2 of them. and he wants to build in the trenches so taking an edge at 4 and a DT at 35 makes sense. We don't need o-line early, our o-line is pretty set

Dulcich might be a stretch in the 3rd for us. Not sure if we target a TE but he could also look to use a TE at FB and drop bawden. this may be the only pick that doesn't fit the mold

in the late rounds he takes a LBer like he did last year and a safety like last year and a RB in the 4th like the previous 2 years as well as a developmental OG to replace GVR

Version 2 (if KT goes in the top 3)

4 - Kyle Hamilton S
    Assuming hutch and KT are gone, I think JD goes with hamilton. both him and saleh said they look for blue chip unicorns in the 1st and hamilton fits the mold. He's a generational safety prospect who is a game changer on defense offenses need to account for. can play the run and pass equally well, large, quick, and fast processor. he's not adams, he's adams combined with maye in 1 safety

10 - Jermaine Johnson EDGE
    If we don't get an edge at 4, I think JD takes one at 10. they always stress the importance of d-line and johnson is a solid player in both the pass and run, has produced in college, impressed at the combine and his film is clean. not to mention very high motor guy. I think he fits the bill perfectly

35 - Travis Jones DT
    Jets clearly want to build the lines. we lost foley and I brought in 2 guys to compete for that as well as sheaprd but clearly we want a young cheap stud there and jones will fit nicely next to Q and joseph, marshall and shepard can battle for roster spots while Q is backed up by rankins and JFM when he slides inside.

38 - Christian Watson WR
    He blew up the combine and jumped from a 4th rounder to likely a 2nd. some have rumored even a 1st. The thing is I can't understand why he isn't rated higher and was rated so low to begin with. his film is clean and he just dominated. his combine showed his athletic ability but his film is even cleaner as he made it look too easy so I think people are in the mind the competition was too weak and he wasn't tested but realistically I think he was just that good and has the tools and ability to flash in the NFL as well. I think 38 is a good WR spot this year with the deep class. same way we got moore in a similar spot last year.

69 - Nik Bonito LB/EDGE
    Bonito is an interesting prospect as he can play edge and rush the passer but also be a SAM and drop back in coverage. I think he's the type of weapon we can find ways to use where he can be a LBer in the rare 4-3 situations as well as a rotational edge rusher

111 - Jake Furgeson TE
    Just because we signed 2 TEs doesn't mean a 3rd won't be a need. Furgeson is a nasty blocker who has some receiving ability as well. we could use him in the FB role to replace bawden and as TE depth

117 - Jerome Ford RB
    we have carter but not much behind him. coleman is who is he and is on a cheap 1 year deal. we still need a !B to carters 1A as MLF likes to rotate RBs and keep them fresh. ford is a similar back to carter but also has homerun speed and fits the system well

146 - cole strange - OG
    Depth on the o-line is always important. We've obviously locked in our starters for the next 3-4 years with AVT and tomlinson but adding more depth always helps. especially if we need a replacement at some point because we can't resign AVT or have to cut tomlinson in 3 years. he's been rumored as a JD favorite and fits all the JD qualities of team captain and high football IQ

163 - Bo Melton - WR
    not a huge fan of bo, but I do think we need to take 2 WRs and all the top ones are gone by now so why not take a flyer and see if we can develop him. plus he would be a good special teams add

Roster based on the 1st draft (which I think is very likely)

Offense (26)

QB wilson, flacco, white
    WR Davis, Moore, London (R), Berrios, Watson(R), Cole, Mims
    TE Uzomah (FA), Conklin (FA), Dulcich (R),
    OT Becton, Fant, Edgoa, Mcdermott
    IOL Mcgovern, AVT, Tomlinson (FA), Strange (R), Feeny
    RB Carter, Coleman, Ford (R), Bawden

Defense (24)

EDGE Lawson, JFM, KT(R), Martin(FA), Huff
    DT Q, Jones(R), rankins, joseph(FA), marshall
    LBer Mosley, Quincy, sherwood, anderson (R), nasrildean
    CB Reed(FA), Hall, Carter, Guidry, Echols
    S Whitehead(FA), Joyner, Davis, Bell(R)

Special teams (3)
    K Pinero
    P Mann
    LS Hennesey

#1 GasedAndConfused, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Murrell2878, SOJAZ, boozer32 and 4 others like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Ordinarily i'm against WR in the first for a variety of reasons, but i have changed my mind. Getting a top WR in FA or trade is about as rare and getting a top QB that way -- i.e., super rare

So you have to draft them and having 2 firsts plus a need gives us the ability to gamble a bit where i would otherwise argue against

there will be a lot of defense in this draft for us

3. GasedAndConfused

yeah having an extra 1st and 2nd really gives us flexability and if you think about it for adams we get AVT and London and for darnold we get ford and watson. plus have our own picks for the d-line in KT and jones

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I haven't read the WR thread in the draft section but do you just prefer London to Wilson or do you have Wilson going to Atlanta at 8?

Also, I'm not so sure the Jets double dip at WR with the need for a FS even though I do like Watson. I think the Jets are going to take a S and IDL with 35 and 38. I like Alec Pierce in the 4th.

My two round mocks on TDN usually end with:

4 -- KT
    10 -- Wilson (I would take London here if Wilson goes 8 to Atlanta)
    35 -- Jaquan Brisker
    38 -- Perrion Winfrey

Noam likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

technically i'd prefer wilson but not a big fan of any of the WRs at 10. i'd take one with a trade down though but I was doing it more in what seems to be what JD will do. and I think he likes london then burks over anyone else at 10.
    I like the brisker pick for sure. i did one where I took daxton hill in the 2nd but brisker is similar as well. it opens us up for a 3rd round WR as well then over dulcich which makes sense. Wi8nfrey is nice but not what we need on the DL. it should be travis jones if we go d-line in the 2nd. so maybe something like

4-KT
    10-london (or wilson or burks or olave or williams)
    35 dax hill or brisker
    48 travis jones
    69 austin, metchie, doubs, bell, wandale or maybe one winds up falling who should have been a 2nd

Noam and Nyjets4eva like this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would swap out the DT for a guard or center type. I like Ford also think he would be good with the Jets. Nice mocks.

7. GasedAndConfused

why? we have a solid o-line as it is. we just signed tomlinson for 5 years and AVT is in year 2 of 5 on a rookie deal (technically 5 because the option year) a OG won't be playing for us anytime soon.
    meanwhile foley left a huge (literally lol) hole on the d-line. we need that 1 tech DT to take his spot and eat up space and stop the run. JD also made it a point that DT was an area od need and that he prefers to build in the trenches. I would be shocked if we don't take a DT within those first 4 picks

boozer32 likes this.
  8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am really against drafting London. I would rather they take Burkes at 10 and Watson at 35...I really like Watson, they kid has it all

9. GasedAndConfused

i'm not a fan of a WR at 10 really either unless it's wilson. but it seems the jets like london and burks. personally for me if it's between those 2 I like london a lot better. burks doesn't look great to me at all. kneal harry 2.0 is written all over him. london has alshon jeffrey potential

10. boozer32

Foley replacement is already on the roster Marshall. But we are a month out from the draft things will be crystal clear by then.

11. boozer32

I think I would either take Burks in a trade down. Or take Watson and Pickens in the 2nd round. The Jets need two additional receivers if they aren't gonna play Mims then they need to let him go. Davis had a bad year so right now only Moore is WR1. The Jets have for a long time forgot this position and giving Wilson some talent to work with so be a priority.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Marshall is not a Foley replacement. Marshall has a strong pass rush but he is very weak against the run similar to Rankins.

13. GasedAndConfused

he was a 6th round pick who barely played last year. Not sure i'd instantly peg him in as a replacement
    2 WRs does seem like the way to go for us

boozer32 and James Hasty like this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

WR overkill.

If we are getting our WR in round two there is no reason to reach at # 10.

At the very least we should trade down from #10 or avoid double dipping by taking a different player at # 35.

KingRoach likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

we have the 2 extra picks though. Not sure what else we would take then. we no longer need OG or TE that high. jets don't seem to feel like they need a LBer. I guess you could make a case for a FS and a 2nd WR in the 3rd or 4th though

boozer32 likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In round two if we don't trade back into round one we could take safety, defensive tackle, running back, linebacker, edge rusher, or offensive line depending on who slides out of round one.

Receiver could also be an option but I wouldn't double dip that early if we take one at # 10 (a bit of a reach there).

KingRoach likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

well I have us taking edge at 4. and we don't need more then 1 since we have lawson, JFM, huff, and martin.
    DT I have us taking in the 2nd as well already
    Lbers sure but jets don't seem interested. O-line I don't think so either unless there was insane value.
    RB and S are possible though

18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets are hoping that one of the QB's pops and someone is ready to move up. This is a draft with many players pretty close in talent. Trading down for extra picks seems to make sense.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Hate the London and Watson picks.. think they will both bust out. I love the KT, Ford and strange picks all 3 of those guys are my guys for sure. Overall not bad. Would of been a home run if you took Burks/Wilson at 10 and addressed corner at 35 over Watson.

KingRoach likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

i'd rather take wilson or williams at 10 but I was predicting what the jets might do and right now it seems their top 2 in order are london and burks

Rockinz likes this.