How will the Jets OVERCOME the Elite AFC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 19, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You know that guy at work that you say, "How'ya doin'?" when you pass him in the hall and he proceeds to tell you how miserable his life is? That's these guys.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You'll have to get in line! LOL If Zach and JD don't pan out, I'll probably come for me as well! In all seriousness, if Zach doesn't develop and JD doesn't have at least a very good draft this year, I am probably done with the Jets and football. It's really gotten to a point of diminishing returns for me, and all the negativity just sickens me.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's why I don't consider Parcells the god a lot of Jets fans do. Still, he was the best thing since Ewbank, sadly.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's totally correct. The Rams drafted their core players. They were only able to make the moves they have over the last several years because of the strong core that they had.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i get that but to many fans he took a losing franchise who was 1-15 the year before and in 2 years won 12 games and went to the AFC champ game. So i get it. we haven't had much success at all. only 3 coaches have took us to a conference championship in our history. parcells, ryan, and ewbank. thats pretty sad unless your pitt who's only had 2 coaches total in the past 40 years and won multiple superbowls

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I genuinely believe Douglas isn't any better than his predecessors (well okay he's better than Mac, but that's like saying Zach is better than Hackenberg). And after about 2 seasons is when I started calling for their heads too (if I were posting here during the Rex days, I would have given him a bit more slack but only because we actually won under him). Anyway, I think the best thing to do now is give Douglas, Saleh, and Zach the opportunity to prove me wrong this season (I hope they do!), but if they fail, we need to clean house.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Starting all over again sounds awesome!

8. ColoradoContrails

Even if they fail (<6 wins IMO and looking disorganized and outclassed) they're not going to "clean house", especially if Zach shows improvement. Even if Zach fails, I doubt they clean house. How many times do you want to go through the 1-2-3-Fire Everybody and Start Over! Cha Cha? ANd that you believe Douglas is no better than his successors is mindboggling to me, but hey you get to have you're own opinion.

PJ4Ever, bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

I want to go through the 1-2-3 Fire Everybody and Start Over! Cha Cha until we finally hire somebody competent. And I find it mind-boggling that after putting up a 6-27 record with a team that pretty much everyone who isn't a Jets fan thinks is on track to suck again, Jets fans comfort themselves with the idea that Douglas is good. Also for what it's worth, we're only 0-1 at firing everybody and starting over (Mac and Bowles). Every other time, including this current iteration, we didn't start over but instead fired only one of the coach or GM and consequently had to hire someone who was willing to keep the other guy on.

10. ColoradoContrails

First, firing just one of the the two - GM or HC - usually creates more problems than it solves, unless the GM is a proven GM and has won before and knows what he's looking for in a HC. Second, how can you and others be so quick to hit RESET and completely ignore the absolute shithole Idzik, Macc, Bowles, and Gase left this team in? When I said I was calling for Macc to be fired after Year 2 (and actually wanted Bowles gone after his first year when he choked and couldn't get them into the playoffs), and then the Johnsons actually extended them both and allowed them to sink the team even further for 3 more years, that's the kind of hole Douglas inherited. And his his first year was a perfect example of why firing just one guy and keeping the other isn't a good idea. Douglas virtually wasted the first year he had to sign FAs and draft trying to stock Gase's cupboard.

We clearly aren't going to agree.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The structure in place is different, GM hires his coach, unlike the past where they both had equal footing with owner. Saleh is Joes hire, he can fire him and hire another HC, not sure if that will happen, even if Jets bomb this season Johnson’s won’t bail on them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

True, up to a point. Woody can still fire both, although not as likely. But many here complaining are aiming their blame at Douglas as much as Saleh, so my point still stands. Do you really want to hit RESET again?

Or can anyone take a step back and objectively realize how bad this roster was when Douglas took over after the FA and Draft had already happened, and with a (putrid) HC he didn't hire?

13. HomeoftheJets

I understand Douglas inherited a shithole. The problem is that after two years, I think the team is still a shithole and Jets fans are overrating our current crop of young players like they did the last crop. Despite that, I'm still willing to keep an open mind and give Douglas and company a chance to prove me wrong, which is why even if I took ownership of the team today, I wouldn't fire anyone earlier than the end of the season (and if I were to fire someone, everyone else would be going with him). But what I don't get are the posters who say they'll still defend Douglas if the team has another terrible season. That would be like me saying I'd still want him fired if we finish with a winning record.

#113 HomeoftheJets, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Brook!, James Hasty, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We all see the same thing, however after Macagnan, no one is going to be ok with another run of bad seasons of 4 wins.

The best thing we can do is stop watching until they start winning. 10 years is a lot of wasted time.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You left out the bit about half the people here root for the Jets to lose.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, particularly in net yards and net points.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

"Continue to add terrorizing pass rushers". When did we begin doing that, to continue?

18. ColoradoContrails

Of course another losing season of 4 wins would be hard to swallow, and would likely really turn up the heat under Douglas's seat, But what those GMs did are not Douglas's fault. Woody should've fired Macc the moment he passed on Mahomes, and then hired a qualified GM and allowed him to pick his own HC. That would've likely saved us 3 years of misery, but he didn't. But fortunately he did hire a qualified GM in Douglas IMO and finally allowed him to hire his own HC. I remain optimistic that we're headed in the right direction, but only the performance on the field will prove that one way or the other.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Last year, some teams figured out how to slow down or completely stop the Chiefs. Make them go on long drives and Mahomes run for his life more often than he wants to. They played a lot better after starting 3-4, but the bad habits of Mahomes reared their ugly head again in the AFC Championship Game at home.

As great as Allen is, we held him out of the end zone in the second 2020 game.

Burrow can be gotten to with pressure.

Herbert has been stifled twice by Belichick's defenses twice. What has he done that we can learn from?

Stopping these guys will be easier said than done, but it's possible.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

If JD drafts the way he did last year, this team will have "better" talent, than the last few years. If this team looks bad meaning, unprepared, making mental mistakes, being inept... you have to point the finger at the CS FIRST and not JD. However, the question I would ask is, "is it coaching or is it the talent." If we conclude its the latter, then it's on JD and we would have to consider if he is who we thought he was/is.

One thing I do know is 6-27 is not cutting it, at least for me! IMHO the team better be improved, meaning if they still lose but are competitive and losing to superior teams (talent and coaching) then I can live with that... but not giving up 400 yards and 30 pts a game and not scoring, that has to stop and if it doesn't it falls squarely on JD since he is RESONSIBLE for the talent and CS.