How will the Jets OVERCOME the Elite AFC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 19, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I love how everyone is jumping on the Dolphins bandwagon. The 49ers type offense is never good in year 1.

They have a new HC (first time play caller) a QB that has admitted in the past he did not study hard enough. From the blocking schemes to the complexities of the offense the Dolphins will struggle initially.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No pressure, but JD has to hit on ALL 4 or this race is over before it began. We have to start closing the gap and it better happen PDQ. JD knows this and to his credit, is trying to pick up the pace of this rebuild since the rest of the AFC isn't standing still. Even though he lost out to MIA, that doesn't mean he should just trudge into Dollar General and snap up bargain basement talent again. We already have plenty of "bargains" on the roster. I'm hoping JD is starting to perform like a Big Market GM. He seems more comfortable now..

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Unless injuries occur this is still the Bills division. Also Tua just isn't that good. I wouldn't be surprised if Bridgewater takes over as the starter at some point. I am surprised the Dolphins haven't tried to get Mayfield. He hasn't lived up to his #1 pick selection but he isn't all that bad either. He is better than Tua and Bridgewater.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Beat the shit out of the guy in front of you on the offensive side and defensive side. Basically they need to become SF East. Don't make mistakes, don't turn the ball over. Pass rush, mistake free football, + strong run game will take you a long way.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the reason he tried to make that trade was to help Zach develop and because they thought adding Hill would put their offense over the top and they could focus solely on the D. If we had a veteran QB, I don't think JD would have ever considered making that trade.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Agreed, and all the negative Nancys here are panicking. The are forgetting that our D showed improvement as the year went on and we'll be getting 4 players that we were really counting on last season back that mostly missed the entire season. That year's experience in the scheme for the rest, and Saleh/Ulbrich having a year's experience at their jobs and working with our players will make a difference. Then we've upgraded our D with the additions of Whitehead, Reed, and Martin, and will certainly be adding an Edge and a DT in the draft, and probably a LB and S as well.

cval likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

You might want to see a doctor about your memory. Evidently you've forgotten how terrible our roster was when JD took over, then in his first draft he was working with a different CS with different schemes, and Gase was a big part of the reason we have only won 6 games over the last 2 years. The only way that teams have sustainable success is having high draft picks and getting great players with them.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

That last sentence is just not true at all. Patriots have been great for 2 decades without high draft picks for example. All of the successful franchises rarely have high draft picks actually.

Also I took your advice and checked with my doctor and he said the Jets have picked in the top 10 or 5 pretty consistently and we haven't turned things around yet.

My original point still stands: having "high draft picks" does not automatically = success.

BrowningNagle and Ralebird like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

No it doesn't automatically equal success, but I didn't say that. I said having high draft picks and getting great players with them. That means hitting on the picks. When your roster was as bare of talent as ours, having high draft picks and hitting on them IS the only way to have any success. One cannot built a sustainable winner through trades and FA only.

Your reading comprehension isn't great either, because you checked with your doctor on the wrong thing. THIS is what I said to check with your doctor on regarding your memory: Evidently you've forgotten how terrible our roster was when JD took over, then in his first draft he was working with a different CS with different schemes, and Gase was a big part of the reason we have only won 6 games over the last 2 years.

bleedgreen likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's very incorrect. The Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams haven't had a 1st round pick in 5 years. In that stretch they've won 3 division titles, 2 conference titles and 1 SB title. that's better than our Jets' entire history

Jedi mind tricks and James Hasty like this.
  11. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The 4 first round picks came after the Parcells renaissance. He had stepped down as coach & one of those 1sts came from Bellichick leaving. Parcells was till GM though. That draft was amazing. Everybody focuses on the 4 1sts, but we hit a homerun in the 3rd too. It's amazing how well a single draft can set a team up.

James Hasty and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is because the Rams do not have idiot fans clamoring for their coach and GM and QB to be fired after every game. Some of the takes by you and Br4d are just ridiculous. Develop a young QB , crazy talk he sucks, Saleh horrible coach fire him (After the first game). JD is clueless that is not how you build a team. You read this board and you would think we have Pat and Dolphin fans masquerading as Jet fans.

I am not sure how anybody that has lived through the Mac,Idzik, Gase, and Bowles years can look at what JD and Saleh are doing and think they should be fired. JD was left with a horrible roster devoid of talent, a horrible cap situation, and lack of draft picks. Within the last 2.5 years, he has fixed the cap situation, made strategic trades to give us draft capital and yes had brought in talent but young. Even the 2020 draft class was decent with Becton and Hall. The team is exactly where they should be with how bad the roster was. This draft is crucial but Douglas has a lot of draft capital.

Some hope for this season. The biggest factor is the Jets are in year 2 of this offense. The teams that have gone with this type of offense have almost always broken out in year 2. JD and Saleh were willing to put up with the ignorant fans that have shown themselves on this board (ie Br4d and Yourself etc) because they understood giving your young players reps in this offense was more important at this stage than wins.

Our free agents signings so far have been great. We needed a great guard that thrives in this system check, we needed TE's check, we needed help in the secondary check. We also signed some returning depth in the 0-line that have proven they can hold down the fort for a game or two. We still have holes at WR , LB and edge that should get better from players coming off of injury and the draft.

This is an exciting time to be a Jets fan. We have exciting young players on this roster Moore, Hall, MC1and 2, Que, Echols, Becton, AVT and about to add two more first-round picks. Let's not forget the most physically talented QB we have had since Namath.

I think a lot of these posters want to go back to Fitz, Marshall and Decker have a good season then start all over. JD is building a solid foundation that should keep us relevant for the next 6-7 years.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

ah thats right. parcells refused to guarentee peyton 1st overall so we wound up with keyshawn instead of a FQB. but he did bring in a lot of his guys as well. curtis martin being the headliner

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed is people are overreacting to each and every move this off-season. Some moves are bigger than others. Russell Wilson to the Broncos should be big for them. Adams to the Raiders and Hill to the Dolphins, not so much.
    The AFC is really good though.

1. Chiefs
    2. Bills
    3. Chargers
    4. Bengals (last year's AFC Champion)
    5. Colts
    6. Broncos
    7. Browns
    8. Ravens

I think those 8 teams have a legitimate chance to compete for the AFC Crown. Then some questionable teams who could if things fall their way:
    9. Titans (last year's #1 seed)
    10. Raiders
    11. Patriots
    12. Dolphins
    13. Steelers

Then 3 teams who I don't think are bad, but we just don't know what they will be yet:
    14. Jets
    15. Jaguars
    16. Texans

The Jets and Jaguars could make big jumps. Besides injuries, I think the conference will be closer than ever. Instead of the best team being (14-3) or (15-2) they will probably be (13-4) or (12-5). Instead of the bottom being (2-15) or (3-14) I could see them being (5-12). Most of the conference will fall between (10-7) and (7-10). Should be really exciting.

I know Jets fans are worried but our young players being battle tested in 2022 will be a great thing for their future. Despite the difficulty of the conference, they can still compete for a playoff spot too.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

16. GasedAndConfused

the NFC sucks. the rams, bucs, cowboys, cards, packers, and niners are the only playoff worthy teams and there are 7 spots to fill. it's not even a real competiton

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

from your lips to God's ears... if he doesn't I am coming for you, LOL.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He already had Keyshawn.

He tried to follow Jimmy Johnson's draft style and we got Farrior.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Crazy talk! Just crazy talk!:rolleyes:

No one is saying that Douglas has done a perfect job. And we all have moves that he's made that we disagree with. But jeezus, the repeated calls to fire him and/or Saleh, and give up on our best chance at actually having a FQB in decades has long ago become tedious. Yes, they're all entitled to their opinion, and to express it, but it does make me wonder also if these "nattering nabobs of negativism" are really Jets fans.

And out of curiosity - although I'm not curious enough to go back reread every post during the Idzik and Macc years - how many of these people were okay with hanging in there for them or Rex, Bowles, and Gase? Those were cases where a quick trigger was fully warranted, and I was one of those calling for that to happen, but many here argued for "patience". But if you can't tell the difference between the lack of ability of the GMs and HCs before the Douglas/Saleh era I don't know what to tell you.

cval likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

man your right and that draft sucked. although farrior did go on to be a beast with pitt after we let him walk. we had the top pick and wouldn't guarentee it manning so he stayed in college another year. we traded down and missed on 2 HOFs and 3 pro bowlers out of the 7 picks before us to take a LBer who was medoicre for us and then went on to be a beast for another team.