2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Former Islander Jean Potvin has passed at the age of 72.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/15/jean-potvin-islanders-stanley-cup-winner-dead-at-72/

He was quite a good player for the team when they first became good (1974-1977), and was brought back after a trade and had a limited role during the first two Cup years. His most important contributions to the team were probably the two times Bill Torrey acquired him - first in 1973, to help ensure that his brother Denis would sign with the team instead of the WHA (and help ease his transition into the league), and then in 1979 (he had been traded the previous year as part of the deal that brought in Wayne Merrick) to help settle Denis into his new role as captain. He was the second-highest scoring defenseman in the NHL in 1975-1976 (behind only his brother), and is the only Islanders defenseman other than Denis to ever have a hat trick (Denis had two goals and two assists in that game, making them the only brothers who were both defensemen to have five goals in one game). They grew up in a French-speaking enclave in Ottawa, which still honors them both.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/potvin-brothers-mural/view/google/

When he got injured during the 1979-1980 season, he moved into the radio booth, becoming a wonderfully and enthusiastically biased commentator. He became known for "Yes! Yes! Yes!" long before it became a team catchphrase, including this time (which I didn't hear, since I was in the stands directly behind the goal):

#4901 statjeff22, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I expected Parise to stay but am pleasantly surprised Clutterbuck is; will be interesting to see the terms.

both are good, likely inexpensive moves and shouldn’t hinder filling in what’s needed for next season.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They are bringing back the same team next year, I think that’s a big mistake. The Rangers showed us how it’s supposed to be done, suffer the bad years with young guys developing, not with aging veterans.

@statjeff22 was right about Lou, I have to give him credit.

4. JetBlue

Parise is getting $1.5 million, which although more than I expected isn’t hindering, and Clutterbuck $1.75, which is a deal. Neither should keep Bellows off the ice if they don’t perform. If Lou can move Bailey that is the slot you open for a free agent. If he can’t, the $3 million likely doesn’t bring in a better player than what you get out of Clutterbuck and Parise.

Wahlstrom and Dobson are locked in for major minutes next year and the future. Bellows should remain at the NHL level to earn his spot. His getting more ice time will depend on his own performance. Who else is in our system to get playing time on the wing?

Even if they have the good fortune of getting the number one pick, Shane Weight is the pick and he’s a center. Autu Raty is also a center, which is who you’d expect to be the next major call up. Neither of those young guys fill the hole at the wing.

for the price I think both are good signings.

5. statjeff22

The issue isn't whether Parise and Clutterbuck are better than anyone we know about currently on the team or in the system, or that they're bad players - the issue is that it is unlikely that either (especially Parise) will ever be an important contributor in any meaningful way. You know exactly what their ceilings are. You trade them for people in the low minors or juniors, or draft picks, on the off chance that those turn out to be just as good (or better) and also a lot younger. This is especially true when you consider that less than a week ago Parise was quoted in a story I read that he would be very interested in coming back to the team as a free agent next year if he was traded now.

The real issue is that this was so predictable - Lamoriello has had the exact some MO his entire career, and it's not what a team like the Islanders need. He is acting like this year never happened, and the team is two goals away from being big favorites in the Stanley Cup Finals. I simply don't believe that that is the case. You have a GM who hates trading away veterans and a coach who hates playing kids, and that is a recipe for disaster for an aging team with not much going for it other than a great goaltender.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Red Menace

This is the reason Islanders will fire Barry or Lou when they repeat this performance next year. The writing is on the wall for this team.

7. JetBlue

I disagree. Sending these guys off for players or low picks that have no chance at playing with the Isles at the NHL level next season or even the season after that, if ever, is a waste of effort when both are being paid so little that you can bury them in the AHL if they turn out to not even be valuable for depth. But they clearly will be. In the end they are a better option than what you proposed if the team wants to win. But if you start from the position that the team won't likely win so why even try, then I can see your point. I simply disagree that they can't win.

if by some chance Bellows can take that same next step Wahlstrom and Dobson has, he will push one of them out so you would have your younger player. Or maybe Simon Holmstrom will make the leap to the NHL next year, but even if he does Barry's philosophy is to bring young players along slowly so both Parise and Clutterbuck are great options at their price to split that time with.

Any major upgrade is going to depend on whether Lou can move Varly, and maybe Baily, in the off season. And if the market wasn't great for Varly at the deadline, Lou may as well wait it out to the offseason.

Nothing about these moves reflect an absolute status quo for next year based on how much they are getting paid.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Don't give up your playoff hopes just yet, Islanders fans! The Capitals have looked embarrassing lately, including back to back home losses where they have been outscored 11-2. I think they play each other this week too, so the Islanders still have a legitimate chance. 11 points back with 14 games left.

JetBlue likes this.
  10. JetBlue

My hope for the season has been tied to getting to within 9 points by game 70. A win tomorrow gets us there at 69.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. JetBlue

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just looked at the schedules. They don't play this week but they do play 2 more times before the season ends. Plenty of opportunity for the Isles to make up ground.

13. JetBlue

And the season has officially gone from disappointment to worst in team history.

14. statjeff22

15. Red Menace

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP. That team was playing a whole other sport for a couple of years there

JetBlue likes this.
  17. JetBlue

Yes it does. It was bad enough his career was cut short.

18. statjeff22

People don't realize just how good those teams were, but I was fortunate enough to be there in person for it as a season ticket holder.

And people really don't appreciate just how great Bossy was. I'll bet plenty of people will be shocked to learn in the news stories today that he is the #1 player in NHL history in career goals per game, and the #3 player in NHL history (behind only Gretzky and Lemieux) in career points per game. He would have broken 700 career goals easily if he hadn't gotten hurt, and might have even gotten into Ovechkin/Howe 800+ land.

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So what was the main line? Trottier centering for Bossy and who?

20. Red Menace

9 consecutive season with 50 goals, only other player to accomplish that was The Great One. If it were not for his injuries Bossy would have been top of the list with Wayne.

Mike had one of the quickest releases in hockey, it was his secret to success, don’t let the goalie get set.

JetBlue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.