Transgender Swimmer Lia Thomas obliterating records

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 8, 2021.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

How ridiculous it is that this sentence even exists.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We are lucky to be alive to witness this proud moment in women's sports.

[​IMG]

Savatage likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Lia Thomas came in tied for fifth in the 200 m after her 500 m win (unless she threw the race). Imagine getting beaten by a girl? o_O

Sure, you're always going to get your bigots who will veil their true objections - or not (insert RELIGION here) - but by and large people have been extremely supportive of her choice to transition. For the millionth time this isn't about that. At the end of the day what this is is a farce.

EDIT: On the 500 m:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...rs-dont-have-a-chance-swimmer-says/ar-AAVeV2V

On the 200 m:

https://www.ibtimes.sg/trans-swimme...h-200-yard-freestyle-final-social-media-63474

^Funny that's where I went on the 200 m before I found several opinions that that's what happened. Opinions from swimmers, to top it off.

#83 jetophile, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think the NCAA needs to change the rules in order to allow biological females to compete with trans-women more fairly.

First rule should be "no dicks allowed"...

FJF likes this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I do not care what side of the aisle you lean politically.
    Progressive, liberal, conservative, homophobe etc, if you do not have a problem with this you have a fucking screw loose.

FJF likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This isn't even close to a hard call.

I'm really shocked the NCAA didn't see this coming and have an adequate rulebook in play when the situation arrived on our doorstep.

If the NCAA is going to allow trans-women to compete in women's athletics they really need to let actual women take testosterone supplements to even the field over time.

There are really two questions here:

1. If somebody is a trans-girl from a very early age, and most pediatricians will suggest and approve such a transformation if the medical conditions suggest it is the right move, are they still performance-enhanced many years later when they reach competition age?

2. Why the fuck would a school administrator allow a recently transformed individual to compete in the women's bracket in collegiate sports?

I'm willing to look at question 1 and be persuaded that a toddler or younger who underwent the transformation due to physical issues might be ok to compete with women in scholastic sports.

On question 2 I'm just going to repeat the question: Why the fuck would a school administrator allow a recently transformed individual to compete in the women's bracket in collegiate sports?

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's the absolute last thing they should do. Just don't let Lia Thomas compete in women's swimming.

Leicester Jet, FJF and Br4d like this.
  9. Br4d

I was just pointing out the absurdity of allowing a testosterone enhanced individual to compete in women's sports.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The answer to #2 is the fear of the cancel culture mob. You have to placate the mob or risk losing everything.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Okay cool, you got me nervous there for a second. :confused:

Br4d likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure pediatricians should keep their licenses if they suggest such a thing to a child.

Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  13. Br4d

First of all there are often compelling physical reasons to assign a sex to a child when gender is unclear at birth and there are a lot more of these cases than you might imagine.

Secondly, we've done enough research on gender association at this point to know that the suicide risk for a child who believes they have been born into the wrong gender is very high compared to their peers. It's much higher than the suicide rate for children who have no gender questions.

When you break it down further the the risk is much higher in children who identify with the other gender but are not switched at any point. Then you get the children who identify with the other gender and are switched and finally the children who do not have gender issues. The first two groups have a much higher incidence of suicide attempts than the third group. Feeling like you are born into the wrong body creates a higher suicide risk no matter what path you ultimately choose.

So a pediatrician who sees a child struggling with gender identity already knows that they are on a high risk path no matter what they do. No pediatrician should suggest a particular path in this situation and most would not. However if the child and parents bring the question to the pediatrician it is an obvious choice. The child is less likely to attempt suicide if they choose to have the reassignment than if they choose not too. Any pediatrician presented with the choice has to go the route of lesser harm unless they have strong reasons to think that route is actually the wrong route. Note that discouraging a gender reassignment when you know that creates a higher suicide risk is definitely not following the Hippocratic Oath.

As an example of a situation in which the pediatrician might think that gender reassignment was the wrong answer consider the case where the parents seem to be more committed to the transformation than would otherwise seem warranted.

The child is often very young and when the pediatrician sees the parents rushing the proposition when the child is not clearly a candidate the proper approach is to do no harm and dissuade the parents as best as can be done.

When the child is an adolescent and conflicted but the parents are the primary sources you get the same situation. Do no harm.

When the child is an adolescent and is the source but the parents are conflicted, again you do no harm.

However when you see a child that is really struggling socially with gender issues and everybody on the patient's side is looking at the issue that's when you have to figure out where doing no harm lives.

#93 Br4d, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

What scientific medical reasons would a medical doctor see to start feeding a child hormones to change their biological sex? They’re sad and don’t feel like they fit in?

Pediatricians shouldn’t be making those calls. Period.

15. Br4d

https://cbs6albany.com/news/nation-...-youngest-to-have-gender-reassignment-surgery

This is just an anecdotal case that describes that pathway from a pre-pubescent child to a teenage reassignment.

The professional literature is vast and encompasses psychiatry, psychology, pediatrics and a host of other medical realms. There was no point to bringing it into the conversation because I'm not qualified to paraphrase any of it. If you want to look it up you will find a lot of arguments and counter-arguments against early reassignment and the methods used to facilitate it.

Note that all of them deal with children who are having major issues with gender association from a young age and how the process of helping them evolves, surgically, hormonally or no intervention.

16. Br4d

Note that pediatricians do not suggest such things to children. They deal with the questions that parents and children bring to them.

If a child needs any kind of surgery they're not hearing about it from their pediatrician, they're hearing about it from their parents and pediatrician.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Bro, you’ve said nothing about any medical diagnosis that relates to science. You just posted an article of a kid that had the surgery because they felt they should be a different sex.

18. Br4d

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

8th place today I saw on the news

I havent paid close enough attention because mostly I dont care about womens sports but do any of his/her competition have a problem with it? I've seen plenty of old men complaining, I'm just wondering if the women's swimmers are upset? If they aren't then who cares maybe? Idk.