How will the Jets OVERCOME the Elite AFC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 19, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Title says it all. By my count there are about 7 ELITE QBs in the AFC:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Justin Herbert
    Josh Allen
    Joe Burrow
    Lamar Jackson
    Russell Wilson
    Deshaun Watson

The answer/plan shouldn't change. Continue to add terrorizing pass rushers to his said QBs and add Olineman who can protect ours. Be smart and prudent in free agency and continue to accumulate future draft capital.

What say you TGG?

Like, Comment, Subscribe : )

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets are doing it right. Support your young QB and the system…add TE talent, continue to improve the OL and get more WR/RB weapons for the offense. The defense added to the secondary, now grab some LB’s and another EDGE and go to war.

I moreso like the guys they picked up who are young enough to support this rebuild and can grow together, JD didn’t go crazy adding veterans on the downside of their careers at all.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Great video again Penny. Liked. If Zach turns out to be as good as his ceiling I think we will still make play offs regularly and hit the big game once or twice.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Bills just gave Von Miller big money to stop the opposing QB. No matter how much they hurried Mahomes, he escaped and made the plays needed to beat them. Mahomes torched the best secondary in football ( Bills) like he was playing flag football.

Jets have to find 2 pass rushers in this draft, I like depth signings they added but in reality they need game changing playmakers, neither a CB or a Safety will stop the QBs you listed from making plays.

Whether it’s KT or Ojabo, or KT and Lloyd or Dean, pass rushers is a must!

Then you have to give Wilson another weapon, another OL and WR, control the LOS on offense and defense.

Bellicheat has been doing this for 20 years, he wins the battle at the LOS by stopping the opposing team from running the ball, makes them one dimensional, yet the Patriots are always one of the top rushing teams in the NFL, play grind it out, field position football.

Im not discounting the pass, but don’t rely on Wilson to do it all, get some weapons and run the ball, Wilson should not have to pass for 350 yards every game for this team to be successful, build a team that is strong in all three phases!

#4 Red Menace, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

KT is probably not falling to the Jets. Vegas has Hutch as the favorite to go 1 with Tunsil staying put and I don't see KT sliding past the other 2 that both need an edge rusher.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My bigger concern is surviving in the AFC East. Our division is nasty full of very difficult defenses. Recall we were 0-6 vs our division last year while 4-7 against the rest of the league. Our divsion is our biggest obstacle on our road back to respectability.

mrmajix, Cman68, NoodleArm and 4 others like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You are correct, I was looking at the roster for teams ahead of Jets, all three of them need pass rushers!

Even though KT upside is still being questioned by analysts so Ikem or Neal might be better prospects in eyes of other teams.

#7 Red Menace, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

1. Zach has to improve a lot. Not necessarily top 10, but at least in the top 15.

2. We need a top o-line to have a top offense.

3. We need some actual star players on both sides of the ball. Pro bowlers who make game changing plays with some regularity.

Pepsiguy5, mrmajix, Jeff M and 6 others like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1. By adding a pass rusher who can wreak havoc on opposing QB's.

2. The CB group taking a step forward from last year.

3. Zach taking a massive leap forward in year 2.

4. Not getting run over every week.

10. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Zig when they zag. You need elite units more than balance. This draft offers us the opportunity to put together an elite D-Line.

Pair an elite pass rush with some old fashioned ground and pound, ball control football to keep those opposing QBs off the field.

All Gas No Shake and Red Menace like this.
  11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Who's the elite pass rusher? Karloftis? Williams? I mean maybe.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

When you read the player bio's when doing those draft games, there seems to be a lot of promise out there.

Boye Mafe
    Mafe was a massive riser after he earned the highest pass-rushing grade among edge defenders during the Senior Bowl practices. He's an ascending player who possesses one of the best get-offs in the class.

Nik Bonitto
    Bonitto may be a designated pass-rusher at the NFL level, but he'll be a weapon in that regard from Day 1. He's been the most productive pass-rusher on a per-snap basis over the past two seasons, earning a 93.6 pass-rushing grade in 2020 and a 92.5 pass-rush grade in 2021.

Arnold Ebiketie
    Ebiketie transferred from Temple to Penn State and proved his 2020 production was no fluke. He beat up on quality tackles en route to a 90.5 pass-rushing grade and 52 pressures.

Kingsley Enagbare
    Enagbare has been one of the highest-graded pass-rushers in the country over the past two seasons, recording an 89.2 pass-rushing grade in 2020 and a 92.5 in 2021. While he’s not the kind of athlete who hears his name called early, Enagbare has the violent hands to be productive in the NFL.

All should be available with our 2nd rounders and maybe a third rounder?

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that was only true because we had both so many young players and so many injuries to key starters. I think we're already better than Miami. Tua is not a threat. I think NE is on the decline and with that rag-arm QB, they will not be in our way for long. I think the only team we have to worry about in our division is Buffalo with Allen.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Give your QB as many weapons as possible. Get as many guys to hit the other teams QB as possible. Play the games on the field, not on paper.

Jets best path is to turn into the 49ers east coast. Beat the shit out of the guy in front of you.

Losmeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Great point honestly. We have to start winning games in our division!

Noam likes this.
  16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Its the AFC as a whole, not just the East. I think we desperately need 2 really good receiver's, another pass rusher, a big bruiser type running back, another safety, and a side line to side line linebacker.

With the injury to Ojabo and Jameson Williams they will slide and might provide awesome value in the 2nd maybe 3rd round.

I am also looking at Christian Watson, he has size, speed, and soft hands. I still consider McBride as well.

More and more I am hoping we trade out of 4, KT and IK probably won't lie their at the 4th pick.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world. There will still be some very good - possibly great - Edge and pass rushers later. If this is how the board falls, then I hope JD takes Ekonwu or Neal at #4 and then maybe take the best Edge/P.R. available at 10. If he has a WR targeted that's higher rated than any Edge/P.R. there he can still get one with the 3rd or 4th pick.

Brook! and Noam like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As basic as this may sound I think a lot of Jets fans overlook this. We've had to "make do" with so few actual stars, especially at QB and Edge, that we think if we can just improve all the other positions enough we can make the playoffs. Maybe. Maybe we can squeak into the playoffs now and then with that recipe, but it's almost impossible to even get to the SB, let alone win one, without a few legit stars, and almost certainly one of those has to be the QB. I know we differ in our opinion as to whether Zach is that QB - of course I'm sure he is or will be - but we don't disagree on this point.

Royal Tee, ouchy and Noam like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The offense is good enough now that there are no excuses for Zach. If he plays like a legit QB by NFL (i.e. not Jets) standards, then we'll do alright. Eventually some of these QBs will bolt to the NFC because they want to win, and we'll have our chance. If he doesn't, blow it up and start over.

Royal Tee likes this.
  20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like what JD is doing in free agency. This team has already gotten a lot better and looking forward to four top 40 picks.

If Zach takes a big step, the team will take a big step. That's the biggest question mark and factor to me at this point. If they can get even decent play from him, they should be in playoff territory

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.