First round post FA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by californiajet, Mar 17, 2022.

1. californiajet

californiajet Member

Taking a look at how Joe D has filled holes (very impressively) in FA - tell me this wouldn’t make you happy as a fan for this (previously unpopular) 1st round:

4 - Hamilton
    10 - Linderbaum

Pick your WR and DT of choice in round 2 and this is a really impressive roster.

o line becomes potentially top 10 on paper and we’ve built our own “legion of boom”

2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Tbh I wouldn’t like those as the first two picks. I think at those spots we pick two positions that aren’t really premium and both are too early in the draft for me. I think we could trade back and still get one if not both guys, so I wouldn’t use 4/10 on them feels like a reach maybe not for Hamilton but Linder

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I still don’t want a safety at 4

that doesn’t address pass rush and I think pass rush is still a huge hole

the top teams are loading up with two top rushers…we don’t even have one

We are all hoping Lawson comes back strong, but even if he does, he’s not been a consistent double digit sack guy right? And with an explosive player like he was, there is no guarantee he comes back 100% from an Achilles. We have no idea what he will bring. Could he be a 10 sack guy? Yeah maybe. But he wasn’t that before he got hurt so we’re working on hope here.

and while I like JFM, he’s not a dominant pass rusher either. We have Martin now too, so great, we have a couple of backup type rotational type pass rushers to pair with a guy coming off a big injury

not good

I think we need to come out of the first round with a pass rusher, and maybe even 2 in the draft.

Personally I’d rather see pass rusher and WR in round one

4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

No. I could get on board with Hamilton at #4 & a DE at #10. I don't think we can go with a C at 10 though. One of those two picks need to be an EDGE guy.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we still need an edge. I don't think linderbaum is in consideration. WR is a big need too. I think it's edge/WR or hamilton/edge and WR in the 2nd

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think you can still draft a solid Safety in round 2 or even 3. I am a Nick Cross fan.

I think you trade one of the first round pick to get couple of extra picks at 2nd and still get an Edge, WR in first round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think Hamilton is the pick. They just signed Whitehead who is more of a box safety and they need a centerfielder free safety not Hamilton. They just signed a FS for 4.5 million in Joyner who has had a lot of success as a FS and the CS is really excited about. I think we are done at safety except for the possibility of a developmental safety who can sit and learn behind Joyner. But, that might be Pinnock.

I do think the idea of Linerbaum at 10 or trading back to 15 to 20 for Linderbaum might have a lot of merit. They don't seem happy wit McGovern and Linderbaum is a special player. But, the beauty of all their signings is they can go BPA. The only almost guaranteed positions to be drafted in the first 2 days are edge, WR and DT.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With the signings of Whitehead and Joyner I no longer see Safety being a pressing need, and certainly not one to use a 1st round pick on. Edge is still the biggest need, followed closely by WR #1. But if Thibodeaux isn't there at #4 (I'm sure Hutchinson won't be), I think Douglas would be happy to trade back for the right compensation. Also, because after KT the Edges drop off but not steeply, and the WR class is deep in a similar way, I can see him trading back from #10 too. With either or both of those trade backs he'd had a few more prime picks to use to fill the rest of the glaring holes on this team.

Worst case scenario is that he stays at #4 and 10 and takes Thibodeaux or one of the two top Tackles, and then if he really loves a WR he can take him at 10, or Lloyd or Dean because they still need to shore up the LB corps and they can still get a very good WR or Edge (if they couldn't get one at #4) with the next two picks.

NCJetsfan, BrickcityJet and cval like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Obviously depends on ho the board falls, if it’s icky,hutch,kt than no problem with Hamilton at 4.
    I like Linderbaum at 10 also

10. GasedAndConfused

it's not a pressing need but hamilton is a unicorn blue chip player so I don't think of ti as taking a safety, it's taking a game changer on defense. if we don't pick hamilton then I wouldn't draft a safety high at all. i'd look for maybe one in the 5th. edge and WR are still a need

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, that's certainly a possibility as well, but what Douglas has done so far has given himself huge flexibility in the draft for taking the BPA based on whatever he deems the biggest holes are. This is the proper deployment of a BPA approach, unlike "BPA All Day" Maccagnan who simply took who he thought was the BPA regardless of what the teams needs were.

It's refreshing to have a GM who knows what he's doing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Still rather take Ekwonu or Thibodeaux at 4.

I’m cool with Linderbaum at 10 but would think WR is more the pick

Jeff M likes this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm very solidly in the group that does not want to take Hamilton at 4. I'd probably be reluctant to even take him at 10, although I probably wouldn't complain too much.

Right now I'm thinking Kayvon at 4 and WR at 10. I dont know how that matches up with the Jets board, but thats my preference in a vacuum. If Kayvon isn't there at 4 and trading back isn't an option, I'd go OT.

I think there is a reason the Jets didnt really address WR in FA, and thats because they feel they have some strong options at 10.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

4. Thibodeaux
    10. Wilson or trade down a little and get Lloyd

I don't buy the character concerns with Kayvon and fully believe it's designed to get him to fall to a team in the 6-10 range. We've lacked a pass rusher who can wreck games since Abraham was traded.

I know some here want a bigger WR, but Wilson does the three most important things you want in a WR. Speed, route running, and reliable hands. If he's taken before our second pick, I'd look to move down a bit and get more picks while improving the LB group with one of the top prospects.

15. GasedAndConfused

thats the big factor to me. JD did a great job plugging holes. I don't see a glaring need anywhere. They said round 1 is for unicorns so I think kamilton and edge are on the table. after that it depends what happens with the 1st 2 picks. they also seem high on WRs. I think if KT falls its him and a WR (unless hamilton fell to 10 somehow) if KT doesn't fall I think it's hamilton and edge at 10

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Filling all the holes that we have so far, JD can take whoever he thinks is BPA. All he has to do is make sure he takes a WR, DT and Edge on the first 2 days. That opens up a ton of possibilities.
    At 4 I think we all expect JD to go Thib. If Thib is gone I could see him wanting to trade back as there is no value in a DT, Edge or WR at 4 without Thibs. But if he stays at 4 I could see him going Gardner or Ekwonu as both are phenomenal talents. At 10 again he could trade back. But he seems likely to go edge with Johnson, Ojabo or Karlaftis or WR with Wilson. But he easily go great value with Linderbaum or Gardner. The possibility of trading back into the early 20's for an edge, for London, Jamison Williams, a DT or even Zion Johnson could happen. Filling all our holes has really opened up a ton of possibilities. But, I think whoever JD drafts it will be a JD type player, high character, leader, guy who lives and breathes football and team captain. According to Conner Hughes, one of the big reasons the Jets were able to attract so many FAs without paying a premium was because of the culture change in the Jets locker room. I don't think this will change.

It seems the off-season is always the time of high hopes and dreams but maybe this is the year that Lucy does not pull that football away from us.

cval, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. californiajet

californiajet Member

All good points above.

I didn’t point out that I assume KT would be gone at 4. If he is there then I assume that would be the pick (and I’m no expert whether the reports of issues with his motivation are BS or not).

100% agree that edge is a missing link (literally since the trade of John Abraham ). We can’t fill all needs in one off season - but I am damn impressed with how many holes JD has filled with the draft capital to follow.

it’s just interesting how the roster is being filled out - and if they believe Hamilton is truly a “unicorn” and you end up with “Ed Reed 2.0” and “Nick mangold 2.0”…

…are we complaining a year from now that we didn’t pick “premium positions” at the top of the draft?

Could all be a moot point as we might be gearing up for a big trade - but picking these 2 doesn’t seem as crazy as it did a week ago. That’s all I’m saying.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The main goal is to add 2 studs who can be anchors for the team in the upcoming years at 4 and 10. If the picks are Hamilton and Linderbaum, then I think Joe Douglas would accomplish that goal. I feel like (if they are done) with big free agent moves, then pass rusher at 4 and WR at 10 make the most sense still, but we will see. Having 4 picks in the Top 38 allows Douglas to address DE, WR, OL, and S if that is his plan. Could be a DT too with Foley gone. Either way, the free agent signings have put the Jets in a great position to attack the draft and select players that are BPA but also fill a need for the Jets.

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

seems like 2 overdrafts from one POV... i agree like 60/40 that it'd be overdrafting... buuuuuuuut

as you say... combined w/ what we've done already NOT AS crazy... interesting thread. I think I get you.

20. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Edge and tackle or linderbaum