2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s that time of year again… figured we could use a place to compile all the Jets news and rumors.

We all know about Amari Cooper but the honey badger noise has gotten loud. And now this:

sign me right up. Culture changer, game changer, anchor of a defense.

FJF and LAJet like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

If this is for anything less than a 2nd, Douglas needs to be questioned. Heavily.

one of these days we’ll learn that you need to have a set of balls to have success in this league. Douglas thinks he can get by thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room.

edit: Cooper and a sixth for a fifth and a sixth. Douglas better have a fantastic fucking gameplan because this is a HUGE gaffe

PJ4Ever and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

Same shit different diaper. One of these days/years/decades/regimes we’ll learn how to build around a QB

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If the Cowboys are giving him up for that little, they must know something we don't.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets don't understand anything about how to build a successful team at this point.

That's why they really need a Parcells to come in and fix this thing. The Jets are so far from the last time they were successful that there is nobody in the organization that understands how to get there. And that iteration was very short-lived because nobody in the Jet's FO at the time understood how to build for sustained success.

The last guy who had the whole package was Parcells.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Coopers cap hit must have scared the other NFL teams and he did have a tendency to completely dissappear lately in big games. I do like Cooper though, don't know about Browns move but he should get the ball more often

barfolomew likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Shopping in the bargain bin. A Joe Douglas trademark.

#7 BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

We really don't need another undersized slot receiver.

hornblower and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The fact that the compensation was so little tells me Cooper was not willing to renegotiate the $20 million per year. That means the Browns are taking a chance salary cap wise. The Cowboys gave him away for peanuts. While Cooper is a good WR he’s not a great WR. I’d rather see the Jets add a little size at the position with a guy like Allan Robinson or just draft one.

10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

and the 30 other teams that didn't see this as no-brainer, can't miss some caste it as

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think Amari Cooper would have been a great addition for the Jets or a true #1 that Zach Wilson could count on, but I think the fans wanted it because it would signal that the Jets were entering "Win Now" mode and were trying to do everything they could for their young QB. Instead he goes to the Browns for basically a 5th round pick and we get articles claiming JD is going to take it easy in free agency. Not what fans want to hear. I've said it before this off-season: I just want the Jets to win. I don't care who JD signs or who he drafts, as long as it leads to success. Meaning, I won't complain about any move or non-move, but I will complain if the Jets are (2-5) in October.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isn't a big deal. Cooper Isn't worth the money he will get with this trade. I'm glad we didn't trade for an overpriced WR.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have given Cooper $20mil/yr if he was on the market.

Rockinz, MoWilkBeast, Noam and 5 others like this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah I can’t disagree with that

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was only interested in Cooper if he was released. It would make no sense for him to agree to a lower salary unless he was getting an extension, and by that more guaranteed over the life of the deal

16. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Cooper has been traded twice already. Good receiver but not a true WR1 while making WR1 salary

wewantsapp, hornblower and KingRoach like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't. Cooper is not worth anywhere near $20 million per season. He is the most grossly overrated player in the NFL by Jets fans. It's laughable. The NFL showed what they think of Cooper and his contract. Trading for him not only would have cost us a good player in the 3rd round, but would limit how many FAs JD could sign. We will be better without him.

It is not a gaffe just because you say it is.

LogeSection2RowJ and LAJet like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

You don't do it by burrning draft capital for an overpriced WR that disappears in games and for stretches of the season, or that gets in his QB's face after a loss. You don't bring in a diva WR with an attitude with a young QB.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Exactly. It's laughable how some Jets fans are having a hissy fit acting like Cooper is the second coming of Jerry Rice or Lynn Swan. I'm glad he was traded to Cleveland. I never wanted him!

#19 NCJetsfan, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    hornblower and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Is this what’s happening? Or are we upset that there as a very obvious and clear path to WR1 for the price of a 5th and we are worrying about money in a league where you can create cap space with the snap of your fingers? Hint: it’s the latter.