Robert Pattinson is THE BATMAN

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, May 31, 2019.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm not a Super Hero movies fan by any stretch and I've been past sick of it for years. Anyway, here's a great photo I took in a beloved haunt of mine that I thought I'd share:

[​IMG]

: /

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Headed out today to see it. Got tix for the 2:30pm show.. Wanting to see what Zoe looks like in a catsuit. Hard to fake it in a catsuit... :)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Cman68

Just got back from the movie. Long but it kept you involved with the plot twists. Zoe Kravitz might be the smallest Catwoman in the history of Batman movies. Someone should take her to Cheesecake Factory and turn her loose. I think my cat has more weight than she does. She could turn sideways and walk between the raindrops but not get wet. :)

The new Batman was grim throughout and that pretty much is in character. I was disappointed in all the rainy night shots. I think there were only 2 daytime scenes. The Producers went light on the toys too. The Batmobile looked cool. Wayne Manner really looked super dark and foreboding. Definitely NOT a batman movie for kids.

Darkest Batman movie I think ever produced both in style and content. Reminded me of Zach Snyder's Justice League (which I liked much better than the first version). Nice set up at the end for Batman II.

Poeman and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Zoe did a great job as Selina despite her small size. Haha. I thought she looked really good too. I liked the rainy night shots. Gave the vibe of how bad it is to be in Gotham. I thought I would not like The Batmobile since it was so basic, but I loved it and that specific scene chasing Penguin is amazing.

I saw The Batman for a third time yesterday with some friends, and both of them DID NOT enjoy it. That's why I said on opening night that it was not for everyone. You go on a journey with Batman though. You learn as he learns. The people that complain Bruce Wayne is not how he should be or Batman is not how he should be are missing the point of the film. He is learning. He is growing. It's really well done.

After seeing it 3 times, these are my only complaints:
    1. Too much cursing. Commissioner saying "Happy F***ing Halloween" seemed unnecessary and saying "God ****!" "Jesus"! "Christ!" just found it off-putting. Gotta mix up the dialogue. One or two is fine, but ten? Yikes.
    2. The Riddler is pretty brutal. He is a true serial killer in the film. Probably would have scaled him back a little knowing many younger people will be watching. Paul Dano did a great job though.
    3. This one is a spoiler so I will be vague, but it was odd Riddler did not try harder at one point in the film. Confused me.

Besides that, an amazing film that I would give an A grade to. Not quite A+ like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, but right up there.

Poeman likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

CMan's cat says see how I laugh.

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Yep... Dory does have more weight than Zoe Kravitz.. :)

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It was a incredible film, 3 hours long but man you can tell Matt Reeves put his heart and sweat into this. The look of Gotham was amazing, the grungy Se7en/Arkham video game vibes where Batman is learning on the job is what I wanted to see. Batman is vulnerable and not at his peak in year 2 so I liked seeing him struggle and fuck up too.

The cast was wonderful. Jim Gordon, Catwoman, Penguin, Falcone, even the side characters all felt like they fit in this universe.

Robert Pattinson will evolve into the philanthropist and playboy that is Bruce Wayne eventually. Right now getting this film right was important.

Biggest shout out to my favorite bat villain Riddler/Paul Dano...Dude was terrifying and such a difficult villain. He almost won, the riddles were so smart and I liked how Batman was trying to keep up.

As a overall film I was never bored even if long. I think it is a better film than TDK. As great Heath was as Joker, Maggie Gyllenhall as Rachel was bad.

This bat film may just spawn a while new Reeves universe of movies and shows. I can't wait!

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It certainly is no Snyder or Jerry Schumacher Batman. Closer to the original Keaton film. Riddler's flaw is he likes to drag shit out and can trip himself.
    He was very terrifying villain.
    As for cursing I had no problem with it, this world is dark and had a lot of adult themes. Def not a kids film. Not for 5 year olds

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Zoe is so sexy

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The cinematography as a whole was amazing. The music was awesome and well placed. Action scenes were shot very well and Pattinson’s triumphant moments were done very well. A couple parts made me chuckle.

The story though? It felt as though it was a lot of meandering around. The Riddler & Mob stories were not very connected at all. The reason the mob had power was literally just slipped in because it felt like they forgot to set it up.

Pattison was good for how his role was written, but they made him too emotionless for most of the movie. When they’re questioning the Penguin, it should’ve been him, not Gordon screaming at him. Batman traditionally struggles somewhat with being Bruce Wayne and Batman at the same time. This version was literally just Batman.

Lastly, the story was building in the first hour with all the mob stuff and the Riddler and they just suddenly veered off course to focus on Wayne’s family for half an hour. That’s where the story lost my engagement.

All in all a fun movie that’s worth a theater trip in one of the upgraded theaters with Dolby Atmos. But it was meh honestly and too long for a patchy story with two or three storylines that aren’t connected.

#70 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    The Dark Knight, Cman68 and Poeman like this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I gotta say the sound design was excellent too...The moment the new batmobile started gave me chills.

Batman was relentless and reckless, I think as future movies go he probably gets wiser

12. The Dark Knight

Yeah, he definitely will. As he did throughout the movie and especially the end. It was so well done. Can't wait to see Batman and Bruce continue to grow as characters.

And yes, the Batmobile moment is fantastic!
    She was the weak part of the film, I agree, but she also was barely in it. I'm still having a tough time on figuring out where to rank The Batman because it truly is it's own thing. That is a big compliment in itself to Matt Reeves. My favorite Batman films are still The Dark Knight, Batman (1989), and Batman Begins. Now The Batman joins that list. :)

Poeman likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Very cool deleted scene of Batman and the Joker. I get why it was cut from the film, but I would have left it in. Berry Keoghan did a good job. Definitely a dark Joker. Hopefully we will see more of him in the sequel.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

Good news: If you did not feel like spending your whole day at a movie theater with The Batman's nearly 3 hour run time, it is coming to HBOMax this Monday! I think it is also available to buy digitally on Monday too!

bicketybam and barfolomew like this.
  15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

She dominated that movie. She had such a good performane and she was so hot

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see it. Thanks for the heads up!

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Just finished it. It felt too long to me. I thought Pattinson did a fine job except for when he took the mask off. Guy looked like a strung out junkie. Didn't care for that.

I have no issues with a dark movie. It had a great feel to it. The Riddler was a very frightening figure but when I found out who he really was it was sort of a letdown. Very well acted though. Dano was fantastic.

I don't think I could sit though it again at this point. It will take me a while to want to see it again. I don't think it is nearly as good as the Nolan movies. To me, those are the best. Don't get me wrong. I liked it. I just didn't love it. And 3 freaking hours? Too long.

18. The Dark Knight

That is an understandable review! Especially talking about re-watching it. I was talking about that with a friend. It's not the kind of movie you put on if you want to have fun and enjoy a Batman movie, like you do with The Dark Knight or Tim Burton's Batman. You have to be in the mood for it and ready to sit for 3 hours, which will not be too often for most people.

And I was fine with his look when he took his mask off. He did look like a mess, but I think that was their point. Bruce will continue to learn and control his emotions in future films. I did not mind that take.

Poeman, JetBlue and bicketybam like this.
  19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is a hard movie to review. The individual components of the movie are all top notch. The directing is brilliant, the score amazing, the acting is great (including Pattinson), the tone and pacing perfect for a Batman detective movie, the writing and story great, but overall the finished product isn’t as great as those individual components. maybe they are undone by the length of the movie.

Despite that it’s very satisfying and I’d rank it alongside Batman and Batman Begins, behind The Dark Knight but ahead of The Dark Knight Rises, and far better than the rest of the Batman films — Returns, Forever, & Robin, BvS and Justice League.

20. The Dark Knight

Yeah, great way to explain it, @JetBlue! I agree with all of that. I love Batman (1989) because it was the first Batman for me, and The Dark Knight is clearly my favorite, but The Batman ranks right behind them with Batman Begins.

JetBlue likes this.