The Run Defense MUST be Fixed!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If you were in charge of the New York Jets, how would you address the defense to stop the run? We were the 29th ranked run defense in the NFL and that quite simply ain't good enough. I am not suggesting this takes precedence over helping Zach Wilson, but it is a major concern as we enter the off-season. So what say you?

As always, I look forward to reading all of your responses. Hope you check out the video!

Brook! and nycarl like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cut Rankins. Sign a 2nd tier DT who is a known run stopper. Re-sign Fatukasi.

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with the cut Rankins idea as he was horrible against the run. I am not sure Fatukasi fits the new system as his play dropped off last year. I would like to sign a run stuffer like Jones from SF or BJ Hill. If we draft an edge rusher we could move JFM back inside and still have Lawson, Huff and the rookie on the edge.

Having better tackling DBs will help somewhat too. While Hall and Carter were good against the run Echols, Davis and all our safeties were very poor.

4. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Trevon Walker!!!! My favorite draft prospect.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Fatukasi may not be a fit for the new scheme, but the Jets are in negotiations to re-sign him, so they must think he is. He is home grown. Fans complain about not re-signing our own, why wouldn't they want him back? He was very good against the run and got much better pressure on opposing QBs than most realized.

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I would prefer his teammate Jordan Davis 6'6" 340. However, I think Saleh, who emphasizes speed, would prefer Walker, but not at 4 or 10, only if the Jets move down.

7. NCJetsfan

Davis is a great player. The problem is his aerobic conditioning. He can't stay on the field for any length of time. One simply should not take a part-time player in the top 15 picks, maybe not in the 1st round at all. It's a shame. If he lost 20-30 lbs. and improved his aerobic conditioning he might truly become a beast and a potential HOFer. If he doesn't, he may not last 3 years in the NFL.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I know they did want to resign him for a reasonable amount but the problem is he likely has more value to teams playing a different system which may bid up his price. It looks like he will not be resigned.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-rumors-folorunso-fatukasi-walk-free-agency

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

If he does wind up walking, I wonder how many posters will trash JD for not overpaying in order to keep him.

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

foley did a great job as a run stuffer, rankins was really just a situation rusher forom the DT spot and pretty cheap for it. I wouldn't mind an upgrade on the d-line but we cna't just replace both of them easily. i'd keep both and maybe draft a DT and thne rankins can leave next year

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

improve our passing game and points scored on offense. best defense is a great offense.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

So I guess for JD, step 1 for improving our run D was to let our best run stuffer depart in FA.

I called this over a year ago. He will not re-sign anyone here before him, which is just a ridiculous way for a professional to approach things.
    Quinnen is next.

13. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

dude FA isn’t over and DT isn’t a tough position to find a late rounder if that to plug in and play relax man lol. He’s plugged a new RG and a starting TE while bringing back Berrios. You want the entire thing done in one day smh some of y’all are unreal man

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Yeah, never mind that our best run stuffer in the past is not a good fit in the new scheme and didn't have a good season this past season. I'm sure that JD and Saleh were very interested in DJ Jones but he got the same thing Fatukasi did (3 years $30 million @ $10 million per season).

There are literally between 50-100 FA DTs. There are other good ones still available in FA. Some of our posters need to find a new team to root for or a new sport.

PJ4Ever and Nyjets4eva like this.
  15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Fatukasi is a HUGE loss but everyone wanna talk shiny new tings.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was a bit concerned when Saleh first came on board and the d-line guys loved his defense.....just pin their ears back and rush the QB. Sound great for sacks and harassing the QB, but not too good for shutting down screens or the run game.

So if Saleh absolves his 4 d-lineman of run duties, I'm not sure how you shut down the run. Especially when 1 or 2 of our LBers are pulled for Nickel/Dime defenses most of the time. DBs who can tackle maybe? Like that FA DB we just hired? Top box safety? I'm not really sure....

PJ4Ever likes this.