Who would you take at 4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Feb 24, 2022.

?

Who ya taking TGG??

1. Ikem Ekwonu

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Kayvon Thibodeaux

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  3. Other (comment who below)

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I heard the same...im gonna look into it more

Ralebird likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The issue that arises for me is if Ekwonu, Hutch, + KT are all taken. I don't really like Neal and want absolutely nothing to do with Hamilton. Safety is definitely a position of need, but how many games does an elite safety win us? One more game last year vs Carolina? It's just a nonimpact position. I think I would just take Burks at 4 and hope the kid from FSU is there at 10 or Sauce is around at 10.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Jesus

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board

Burks #17
    Sauce #10
    the kid from FSU #27

Overreaching somewhat (and I do realise that the link is just somebody else's opinion)

Another link

Burks #29
    Sauce #11
    Johnson 11 #27 again oddly.

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

4. dawinner127

Get the kid weapons is my biggest reason why. Every time we have a young QB we pass on surrounding him with weapons to try and succeed. Enough of that already. Would have been nice to have CD over Becton right now...

I would be shocked if Burks + Johnson don't sky rocket up boards after their combine performances.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. K'OB

Seems to me there are 20 top 10 picks, somebody is going to be disappointed.

You don't know PFF, I thought everybody had heard of PFF, so it isn't like it is some way out there homeboy rating fanboy site.

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2022

Slightly updated from the draft game part but they still have Burks 4th or 5th WR off the board @ #29

I'm not arsed personally, I just thought that taking Burks with #4 was a huge overreach.

ps, those MOCK drafts or sites' big boards will never be accurate atm, due to the draft not taking place yet, kinda like your assertion he will go top 10, tbh.

7. K'OB

Plenty of weapons in the draft, just got to pick the right one, like I just said above, if you collate everybody's assertions on here or on other sites there must be 20 top 10 guaranteed top 10 picks.

CD over Becton is the usual hindsight game, a game we play every year but do you really think CD would have been the player he is with the combo of Darnold and Gase around?

Nobody was unhappy with Becton after his first season, he was also a pick that should have helped a young QB stay off his ass long enough to do something with the ball but alas the Jets jetted again, let's hope he returns a new man and helps Wilson find his weapons next season. (just pray we didn't Jet with Wilson)

We got Moore last season and he will be a huge weapon if he overcomes those slight injury-prone worries, he is a great prospect.

LAJet likes this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I know PFF, I'm questioning PFFs mocks. I don't think Burks will be the 4th or 5th WR off the board after the combine.

He's going to come in a 6'3, 220-225, and run a 4.4 40 yard dash. He makes things happen with the ball in his hands and is a high character guy.

Doubt he makes it past Atlanta at 8.

blackssmagic and dawinner127 like this.
  9. dawinner127

You can never have enough weapons though. Are teams really going to be worried about Corey Davis, Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole? Burks is going to blow up at the combine this week. He is being compared to AJ Brown, Andre Johnson, and Deebo - Sign me up as fast as possible.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

On the mockdraft database sight, which is a compilation of all the various mock drafts done by the "professionals" in the media (or at least most of them), Burks is ranked #14, and he routinely goes in the top 10. That's how important WRs are in today's game, and imo the talent falls off considerably after Burks, Wilson, London, and Dotson. In general, I'm not a fan of "reaching," but there are times when I believe it is ok. For instance if you are in desperate need of a topflight WR prospect, and you know if you don't take one with one of your two picks in the top 10, you probably aren't going to get one. As long as the prospect develops and plays up to the level of which you think he is capable, no one will care where you took him. They only care, when he doesn't develop into more than an average player or is a bust.

In order to achieve greatness, one must take some calculated risks along the way. One will never achieve greatness playing it safe and by the book.

The Jets didn't get to coach Johnson at the Sr. Bowl, but they saw him up close and personal, and probably got a chance to talk to him. Also, you have to remember that NFL scouts quite often rate prospects dramatically differently than the media does. Teams leak rumors to throw other teams off, but the media buys into those rumors when they make their ratings and mock drafts. No offense, but you're also citing pff, which I think is a bunch of hacks. Their ratings are frequently very strange. They rank bad players very highly, and great/very good players poorly. The other thing regarding Johnson is that unless the Jets are very high on one of Ebiketie, Enagbare, Boye Mafe, Myjai Sanders, Logan Hall, Sam Williams, or Cam Thomas, they almost HAVE to come out of the 1st round with an Edge if they plan to add one via the draft, as it's almost a certainty that Hutch, KT, Johnson, Karlaftis, Ojabo, Walker, Drake Jackson, and maybe some of the others I listed will go in the 1st round.

Sauce is one of the 2 best CBs in the draft and is a great prospect. He's totally worthy of either the #4 or #10 pick imo, although I'm not certain that the Jets really need to take a CB early in the draft. I think they'd be better served by adding a veteran CB to help the youngsters.

The Jets have a desperate need at WR, Edge, S and RG. A lot of people think they also have a desperate need at CB. #4 is too high to take a RG, and for most people, is too high to take a S. That leaves WR, CB and Edge. If one doesn't believe the Jets need a CB that early, that leaves WR and Edge. At #4 they'd be reaching for either, and there's no other position or player worthy of taking that high. What is one supposed to do? Since developing Zach is the #1 priority, I'm going to err on the side of reaching for a WR that I think has sky high potential every single time. I'd then take an Edge at #10, unless I would be happy with one of those I listed as probably going in the 2nd round.

#70 NCJetsfan, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    dawinner127 likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We definitely need more weapons but picking Burks at #4 is a crazy reach no matter how you slice it.

Has there ever been a WR that went #4 overall who wasn't even clearly the best receiver in his class? There's basically no consensus among the experts about who the best WR is this year. If you look at a composite like @GasedAndConfused put together then it's 1) Wilson 2) London 3) Burks.

Ja'Marr Chase was the best WR prospect in 8 years and he went #5 overall. This falling in love with individual prospects thing is how teams get burned or at least don't maximize the value of their picks.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm kinda hoping washington wants a QB badly and wants to jump the giants and panthers and moves up to 4. then we can pick 10 and 11

13. dawinner127

I mean we can just go BPA again at non impact positions and end up with IDL all over the place Or maybe another safety.. That sure as hell worked for us in the past.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Huh? Just because I'm saying Burks is a reach at #4 doesn't mean I'm in favor of taking an IDL instead. All I'm saying is taking a guy at #4 who is generally considered the 3rd best WR prospect in his own class is absurd.

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

Oh, come on mate, who even counts Jeff Smith as a WR and Cole will surely be gone.

Also, the other worry for me is these blow-up the combine guys, if they are good then everybody should know them by now and not just what they do under the bizarre spectacle of the combine measurements.

Just to put it on record I have not said that Burks isn't a good player or prospect, just #4 seems a huge reach.

16. dawinner127

I'm not sure if you missed the OP where I even said I would only take Burks if KT, Hutch, + Ekwonu are gone. If those three are gone, who would you take? I like Burks the best out of London, Wilson and Burks. Obviously if you don't like him the better than those other two, you would think it's absurd.

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. K'OB

All fair enough but it still seems to be a lot of players proclaimed top ten talents trying to squeeze into the top ten

in no particular order

Hutchinson
    KT
    Neal
    Hamilton
    Stingley
    Sauce
    Ekwonu
    Cross
    Gardener
    Ojabo

Then

Wilson, London and as this discussion says Burks

Not taking into account a reach for a QB by a desperate team

Then

We had somebody saying Linderbaum was a top ten pick the other week in a thread.

Then

A pair of LB's that could well tempt somebody in the top ten or they are not going to get them at all

Dean and Llyod.

That is 16 players without even adding 1 or 2 QBs :D

I think trading the #4 to Philly for their 15 and 16 may be a great idea in the end and it would ensure that we get 3 of the above players ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. dawinner127

See my post above. If Burks isn't your #1 WR, then it's probably a reach for you. I like him better than the other two guys so I would take him. I have no interest in a C, Stingley, or Neal at 4. Like NC said, people only care where the player was drafted if he flops. If he is a homerun, who cares.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. K'OB

Is Burks anybody's #1 WR bar yours?

I don't really have a #1 tbh I didn't think Wilson is a need for us as he is like Moore and I thought a few in the lower rounds were worth a look in Bell, Pickens, Doubs, along with improving our TE weapons with McBride, Ferguson and or Njoku.

I have not heard anybody proclaim him as such, it was always Wilson or London and I might have read Olave in the mix as well at one point.

As for your last bit, if nobody cared about the pick number then you take the guaranteed home run and have a player for 10+ years and our new C is Linderbaum

But I have never said to take him at #4 even though I would love him at the Jets.

Neither would I pick Stingley due to his injury concerns (this guarantees him a pro bowl career lol)

I am hoping and like you have already said to @REVISion that Hutch or KT falls to us at #4

In a Jets need we should be killing to get either Dean or Llyod even though it isn't a sexy pick.

This is what JD is paid the big bucks for, let's hope he makes the correct decisions for us all.

20. dawinner127

No idea, I can't speak for anyone else on the board. You will have to ask them.

The last time we passed on WRs in a terrific WR class we ended up with the worst one in Mims. That cannot happen again. Go back and look at the 2020 class and ask yourself how we missed on all of them. Everyone said the same thing you are saying now that there are guys in the lower rounds worth a look. You want to risk that, again? I don't.

Totally on board with your TE moves - McBridge + Njoku would be an amazing improvement from what we trotted out last year.

Anyways, hopefully this is all a moot point and we end up with KT, Hutch, Or Ekwonu and one of the big 3 WRs at 10.

K'OB likes this.