Ulbrich

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jojo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I hope they know what they're doing. In my work designing computer systems, we always strived for simplicity. Complexity was harder to achieve and harder to maintain. Not saying complex won't work, but we'll see.

SOJAZ, NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Me too. I would have preferred simpler systems as well. Not only is there the long learning curve with this scheme, but more players are able to play a simpler scheme. One of the worst things about more complex schemes is that they require very specific types of players, and those aren't always available, then the scheme isn't going to work as intended (well). Even when they're available, it can take new players in the scheme a year or so to get comfortable, so as players age or you upgrade them, one is constantly having to deal with players who are struggling with the scheme. IMO that's getting complex for complex's sake and the coaches are over thinking things. I don't have much appreciation for anything that Rex said or did, but the one thing I did like that he said and was part of his philosophy was "KISS" (Keep it simple s?) I know that normally means "keep it simple, stupid," but believe Rex had a different last word he used. Regardless, when the scheme is simpler, it's easier to find players, because one can more easily adapt whatever one's doing with the scheme. More complex schemes are more rigid and not as easily adaptable.

The only real advantages that I can see from more complex schemes is that teams don't see them very often so it's harder to prepare for them, and if you have the right players for the scheme, it's a tough scheme to beat.

Like it or not, complex schemes are what we have. We all have to hope that JD will be able to find the right players for them and that our CS will make the schemes work as intended.

#22 NCJetsfan, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. But wasn't the thing about Rex's defense was that it presented so many different looks that it was hard for offenses to figure out? That sounds complex to me.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I don't know. I'm no expert on schemes. It may have been somewhat complex. I just remember that he said he wanted to keep it simple and fun. Rex wasn't the most cerebral coach we've ever had, so I doubt that it was too complex.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You could apply the same post to the offensive coordinator. Both Ulrich and LeFleur were awful.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

hilarious an entire thread, OP and everyone who responded on ignore, i open it up and I see why.. carry on

cval likes this.
  7. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Well said..I agree..plus in a complex scheme, regardless, youre gonna lose someone every year, no guarantees the guy replacing can just plug and play, and if they suck , it sets you back..like anything else, but its HARDER, to keep it updated.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

DL injured, players playing out of position
    LBs totally lacking outside of Mosely and Williams as a late pick up
    S's, both injured
    CB Hall and a string of tryout types
    Offense inconsistent, losing TOP every game

You haver to look at the why, not the numbers exclusively

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Geezus. I'm sure this was already mentioned but he lost Joyner, Lawson, Maye, Jarrod Davis. Had to play many rookies and young guys who weren't ready yet. Lost some of those for many games including Nasirildeen and Sherwood. JFM went quiet after his contract extension until the end of the year. Yes, it could have been better but let's put a little context to it

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

During the off-season context goes by the wayside for both Offense and Defense. The defense was bad why is what needs to be figured out. Defense is much like offense multiple schemes can work then it comes down to execution and having the right "Play" or "defense" called on any particular play.

If I have a bad defense or play called for a particular scenario it will take a great play by an individual player to make up for it. If You have the right play or defense called but your players suck it does not matter.

12. NCJetsfan

I remember what Rex said when he was hired about KISS. It was in numerous news outlets. He may have had more complex schemes, but that's not what he said with his mouth.

As far as Saleh goes, even before he was hired when articles were being written about potential candidates, there was talk about Saleh's/SF's D scheme, how complex it was and how it could take a year or more for players to fee comfortable in it. There were more after he was hired. There's also a big psychological difference between attgacking, being very aggressive and pushing upfield, vs holding one's ground, reading and reacting. That's just common sense.

13. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

JD signed him 2 safetys to play linebacker :)

14. NCJetsfan

Dude, are you intent on showing your ignorance? Saleh wanted those two. I believe that Fred Warner and some of the other top LBs in the NFL right now were collegiate Safeties as well. The move is towards lighter, faster LBs that can cover.

#34 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    PJ4Ever likes this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Def an adjustment, but it’s much easier mentally to just be aggressive rather than waiting and reacting. Just saying. And Rex’s schemes were complex, man. Rex said a lot of things lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I think it depends upon the player and his age/experience. If he's more used to attacking, yes, it's easier. But if he's been coached for years to sit back, read and react, then I would think it would be pretty hard to break that habit, to just go without hesitation, and not stop to read or think first.

With regards to the bold, true dat! He definitely said a lot of things. Too many.

#36 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Did we? We had a bunch of rookies who may pan out to be better. We gutted our linebacker corp and due to all the injuries we were starting both safeties with guys who aren't NFL players. If Hall didn't take the leap he did, corner would have been worse than 20 also.

Not endorsing Ulbrich

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Shaq Thompson ( Panthers) was one of the first safety/ LB that has had true success in the NFL after being converted to full time LB. However his playing weight is 230, he has never been 215lbs as a professional football player playing the LB position.

We are all aware of the transition the NFL is making with some of their LB, however weight and strength still come into play due to the fact the offense will take advantage of any mismatch.

Sherwood and Nasirildeen were playing at 215lbs , in the NFL that is a mismatch, now that they are in the NFL we know they have a professional trainer and they will continue to grow as men and professionals, if they bulk up to 225-230lbs, I can definitely see them being able to play at that weight, last year, their inexperience and their playing weight contributed to a bad run defense.

If you look at Quincy Williams he played at 230lbs and he was noticeable on a lot of plays, he was still fast, but he wasn’t rocked by the OL on run plays like the other young converted linebackers were.

Fred Warner who you referenced is playing at 230lbs as well, they may have converted from safety’s but they are not playing at safety weight.

I hope our two young kids can bulk up and help this team on defense, Jets need all the help they can get!

#38 Red Menace, Mar 5, 2022
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

4-3 is what our d-players played in their whole lives, starting with peewee football. It's only when players run into an NFL 3-4 defense that things can go sideways, not the other way around.

There's no excuse for how bad our D was.

The ONE excuse I can get behind maybe a little bit is the bad position our D was constantly put in (due to our bad Offense). Playing D for 10 extra minutes and defending 6 extra possessions than any other D can take it's toll.

But our D wasn't the only one put into bad positions, but our D responded the worse.

#39 Footballgod214, Mar 5, 2022
    westiedog1 likes this.
  20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We had a mismatch of rookies and players literally off of the street. Injuries to the DL, LB both starting Ss, the list is long

NCJetsfan likes this.