In what ways does Zach Wilson need to improve

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Feb 27, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well was it wrong?

BTW the Ringer was created by Bill Simmons who was an OG on ESPN's online platforms and a NY Times Best-selling Author, it seems pretty credible but ultimately we can agree or disagree but usually disagreement is done by making actual counterpoints

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1. Accuracy: He needs to hit his WR's and RB's in stride. He continued to improve with that down the stretch.
    2. Consistency: He needs to be more consistent and play for 60 minutes with solid football.
    3. Comfortability: Wilson needs to continue to get more comfortable with the NFL game.
    4. Reading defenses: He needs to understand what the defense is doing before they do it. That will allow the top 3 to improve.

I think he can improve in all of those areas. Better players around him will help with it too. Zach Wilson's future is bright!

Brook!, bicketybam, dmw and 2 others like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree. He needs to bulk up a little, though.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Like I said there are plenty of breakdowns of Zach's games that do more than just pick a few bad or good plays. . There is plenty of good and yes bad as well. Derek Carr broke down Zach this morning and it was very positive. Zach was a rookie we will see what he does this upcoming season. Why do you want him to fail so badly that you refuse to see any of the good?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

I don’t want Wilson to fail. The thread’s topic is what he needs to improve on and I shared a relevant discussion of that. It would make no sense to share a fluff piece as it would be off topic.

Start a thread on what Wilson does well if you are looking for that

Ralebird and James Hasty like this.
  6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

He needs to put together the best of what he did at the beginning of the season with the best of what he did at the end of the season. Essentially keep up the short/medium pass accuracy but not be afraid to let it rip to an open receiver downfield whether on designed rollouts or when a play breaks down (and just throw it away when no-one is open).

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe ZW's struggles with 'easy' throws into the flat are due to him being panicked, thinking there's a monster pass rusher about to tomahawk his throwing shoulder and he has to get rid of the ball ASAP to avoid the big hit? Hearing footsteps that aren't really there.

That's the results of being a rookie who's getting hit far too often. Even the EZ throws become panicked throws.

HOPEFULLY his 2nd season he'll have much better protection and can settle down and throw with confidence...not terror.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

All the ways you can think of.

dmw likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I love Simmons' podcast but the Ringer is all 20-something writers who are paid basically nothing.

I'm being nitpicky though because their point about Wilson's processing is true so far.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I will say this about Zach: He has great potential. He himself has actually handled the situation really well. He went from BYU to the NFL. Got thrown right into the fire with a first time Head Coach, first time Offensive Coordinator, a very young offense, and a very young defense. Not to mention the team was coming off a (2-14) season. He also did not have a veteran back-up QB to learn from or lean on for advice. That could easily set you up for failure (and it did), but Wilson overcame the obstacles and improved as the season went on.

He held his head high the whole time and kept moving forward. I think he will make a big jump in 2022 and some people will be surprised, but it really won't be to me. Just part of the process.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To what/who are you referring? Who is Simmons? What 20 writers? What is their point about Wilson's processing?

12. REVISion

Bill Simmons, longtime sportswriter who founded The Ringer website. By 20-something I meant the writers for the website are mostly young. Wilson processing thing was in response to a post by Browning on page 1.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I found their website, but didn't see anything about Zach in a quick look. What did they say about Zach's processing?

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's a waste of time to try and figure out "what does Zach Wilson need to improve" when so much around him needs to improve. This is just a tired old spin on the whole "Zach Wilson can't be a good NFL QB" meme. Let's discuss this next year at this time, assuming Douglas has substantially improved the OL and weapons.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He got over the missed easy throws in the second half of the season. It was way overblown if you ask me. I saw Mahomes bounce a couple of those "easy" throws as well.

He just needs to keep building on how he played at the end of last season (Minus Buffalo). He played great against Tampa and just needs to be more consistent. Another year and a better cast will help as well.

16. REVISion

Did he? I don't think so. I remember plenty of passes in the dirt even during the 2nd half of the season. Zach's completion % after coming back from injury was 1% higher than it was before the injury.

Ralebird and James Hasty like this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I didn't really see that at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Exactly... when I read the title, I thought mental aspects of the game...

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach needs to put in the time perfecting his craft. He's only been in the league for a year and probably by now has realized that the "HeroBall" that used to work at BYU doesn't translate that well into the NFL. Josh Allen put the time in and look at him now.. JD can help the kid out by getting some more talent on both sides of the ball. Wouldn't hurt Lefleur to come up with and call more creative plays either.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

Yeah but it was an impressive 1% :D

REVISion likes this.