2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Ralph Macchio (the Karate Kid guy) and I were both at the game at the Nassau Coliseum when the Islanders won their first Stanley Cup, but I had much better seats than he did (he was in the last row, and I had season tickets much lower than that). He is a serious and genuine Islanders fan, like Kevin Connolly.

stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. I was checking standings just now. Saw that Islanders are pretty down. But they only played 33 games while Rangers played 41 games. Why is there such a big difference? Is it due to Covid? Will they eventually play the same number of games?

In short, do Islanders still have a chance for playoffs or did that ship has sailed already.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I believe it had something to do with the opening of their new arena. I believe they played the first 13 games or so on the road and they could play as many as other teams due to not havi g home games.

As far as making the playoffs, I'll leave that to the Icelander fans.

6. Brook!

What is your team bickety? Rangers or Devils?

7. bicketybam

Rangers. I hate the Devils.

8. Brook!

And in NBA and MLB?

Before you ask, my only team in New York area is Jets. I am not a fan of any other New York sports team. I root for all of them once they are in the Play Offs. But I don't follow other leagues in Regular Season.

9. bicketybam

Yankees and Knicks. I should be a Giants fan but I started out a Cowboys fan so when I went to switch to a NY team, the Giants were out of the question.

10. statjeff22

It was because of COVID - they've had more games postponed than anyone else in the NHL because of it. They are now going to average roughly a game every other day for the rest of the season (at the end of April), and will end up playing the same number of games as everyone else. Do they have a chance to make the playoffs? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

Brook! likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No longer in last place..... CHAMPIONSHIP

12. statjeff22

Dominated at home by the expansion Kraken, the team with the third-worst record in the league. Not only is the season over, Lamoriello and Trotz might be reaching the end with this team also. Absolutely pathetic performance in every way.

13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Trotz has to go. I've seen saying it for a while now. He's Rex Ryan 2.0.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Trotz isn’t a problem and Lou has rectified the cap issue. Any clock on them begins next year.

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Even when this team went to back to back ECF they weren't really talented. They were a team built on hard work, goaltending, and playing a defensive system. I think they are worn down as playing that way night after night is exhausting and doing it for 3 years now. They are a slow team with too many players over 30. They need to get younger, faster, and most importantly more high end skill especially on offense. Lou has his work cut out for him this offseason. Trotz is one of the best coaches in the game. He is not and shouldn't be fired because of a down year after two exciting playoff runs.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. JetBlue

Arguably the worse loss of the season but hopefully the one that makes it absolutely clear that they aren’t playing for this season any longer.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Defense is weaker without Leddy and Towes. Chara shouldn't be playing anymore. They still can't put the puck in the net. The 4th line is done. This isn't the same team from the last 2 years. I don't know if the Isles will go with a full rebuild or a reload for next season. But significant changes have to be made. They still have a nice core to build around however with Sorokin, Barzal, Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, Wahlstrom. I hope Trotz starts giving the younger players more playing time. Its the only thing they should be doing at this point.

JetBlue and stinkyB like this.
  18. statjeff22

I hope it's a lot more than hoping - I hope Trotz is ordered to give the young guys more playing time. Unfortunately, Lamoriello seems to be as infatuated with veterans as Trotz is, so I'm not counting on it.

Petrozza likes this.
  19. JetBlue

Watching the Isles on TV just doesn’t do them justice… they are even worse seeing them live.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At this point I am more interested in the offseason with FA, the draft, trades. This team needs a significant overhaul. There are some good pieces to build around but they need to get younger, faster, and add more skill to both the top 6 and blueline. Lots of work to be done here.

JetBlue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.