Who would you take at 4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Feb 24, 2022.

?

Who ya taking TGG??

1. Ikem Ekwonu

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Kayvon Thibodeaux

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  3. Other (comment who below)

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Assuming in this scenario the two greatest needs are EDGE and OL, I'm taking Thibodeaux every time.

The Jets have needed a premier pass rusher for a long time, and he could be an absolute monster.

If OL is that important to the Jets this year, I'm comfortable waiting and seeing who makes it to 10. I'm probably taking a WR at 10, but I'm fine with OL as well.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would do KT at 4 and OL at 10. Then I would grab a WR and LB in second round, there are some good WR that will be available in top of second round.

I hear lots of guys talking about Debo Samuel what is forgotten is that he was drafted in beginning of second round.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes he was, but Burks is a better prospect than Samuel was. Burks can be a lot more than what Samuel is.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

in this case I'd take KT.

For me I really wanted hamilton but looking at all the possibilities out there i'm thinking the order should be

1) KT or hutch if one of them falls to 4
    2) if not, trade down for more picks
    3) If we can't find a trade, then take hamilton

I'm not a fan of reaching for a player that high. We don't need a QB which is the only position to overdraft. It's possible the giants draft one to move on from jones and if rumors of that hits, a team like wash could look to move up from 11 to jump them. a trade up like that would likely cost them 11th, 42, and 2023 1st. I think that's worth us passing up on hamilton. it gives us picks 11 and 12, and then in the 2nd 35, 38, and 42. plus I feel a lot better picking some of the players we are rumored to at 10 and 11 then I do at 4. when you pick in the top 5 you want a FQB or a blue chip player and I only see 4 blue chips in this draft in hamilton, neal, hutch, and KT. so them plus a QB will likely round out the top 5. then it's onto the T2 players and the difference in the talent you get from 6-11 is not going to be much of a difference in this draft. If we did this and landed johnson and a WR. that leaves us with 3 2nds for TE, S, and LBer. the rest of the draft we still have 5 picks to address anything else. I think securing our RG spot before the draft and doing this would be best

MoWilkBeast and westiedog1 like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I made a very similar selection early on. Difference being I also considered a top tackle depending on Becton future. Edge, if gone top Tackle or trade down, if no trade option then Hamilton. I’m warming up to a trade for the 4th pick more, but not if the top edge is there.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If KT is there I’m taking him and hoping Burks falls to 10.

if KT is gone I’m taking Burks 100%. Nothing will help Wilson more than a country boy with 5 XL gloves that catches everything, runs a 4.4 and is built like a brick house. Plus he can line up anywhere and frees up Moore for passes down the field.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

I really don't want an OT. we've used 1sts on LT and LG 2 years in a row. our o-line isn't as bad as people make it to be IF we can keep LDT or sign a vet RG and IF we extend fant. that gives us a solid starting 5 that should be at worst league average and at best possibly top 10. people tend to forget how dominant becton was as a rookie in some games. and fant played like a top 10 LT last year. AVT was solid and can make the jump to great in year 2. mcgovern was a top 10 C. LDT was good enough but landing a laken tomlinson would sure be nice.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO Our OL is one injury away from being a mess. Last year injury rash is not atypical. We absolutely need to refill the pipeline with new blood, C, OG and RT. Moses did a great job as Fant but Becton is an unknown and LDT might not even be in the cards. The draft needs to mind both sides of the equation with talent. May be not in the first, but, If there is a stud T or C or Guard you need to grab it. Prior to JD we paid zero attention to the OL and it showed. In year one JD encountered a disaster and he hasn’t quite totally fixed that OL yet…on year 3.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

literally at least 30 if not more teams in the NFL can say the same thing. quality starting O-line aren't sitting on the bench anywhere. there isn't enough of them for every team to field 5 guys who are at least decent let alone have 1 team or multiple teams with extras. it's also a weak o-line draft overall. we have the starters, best bet is to try to grab some late guys to develop and hope to get lucky with them. sure prior to JD we paid 0 attention to the o-line but with JD (not including players who aren't here anymore) he's used 2 1sts, signed 2 FAs and traded for 1. he replaced all 5 lineman and built a solid o-line. we have other needs right now.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't see the Jets Thibodeaux because they have a ton of money tied up in Lawson and JFM. They have more pressing issues to address and maybe they can get Jermaine Johnson later in the draft. Our issue is the bums that are currently manning the safety position. That is why Hamilton should be the Jets first pick @4. Unless you want to ride with Riley, Davis, and Will Park.

semperfigreen likes this.
  11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Safety can easily be addressed in free agency and with stop gaps. Pass rushers can not and you don’t pass on that kind of talent because you have two guys already come on

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Problem is Lawson is injured, Becton is probably going to still be in the doghouse with the CS.

The 2 guys that would have been anchors to build team around are no longer the foundation pieces we thought Jets could build on.

Henderson outperformed Lawson as his replacement in Cincinnati, JD had a chance at Henderson and did not land him.

If I have a chance to grab KT I’m doing it and I’m not looking back, having Lawson, KT, Williams, and JFM is a front four any team would love to have.

There are a couple of good safeties that can be had if JD wants to wait till second round, personally I believe the LB position needs to be addressed before safety.

The way Jets were run on last year was scary, their current LBs can’t plug gaps against the run.

All these draft picks JD has had, yet the roster still lacks playmakers especially on defense.

13. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I will be in the minority, but I would take Hamilton at 4. Generational safety, and I mean generational. He can do it all. I dont care about the value and position charts used by some, he will be a nightmare for defensive coordinators and an all pro very early in his career. I have seen all of his games being a Notre Dame fan, and wouldn't be suprised if he is gone at number 2 in Detroit. Also not being biased as a Notre Dame fan.

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t think you are as much of a minority as you think. Many here are super high on Hamilton. If JD and CS are just as high, and put him ahead of the remaining edge he could be the pick. I have seen many a mocks with him going two or three so there is that.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If JD and Saleh believe he's as good as Troy Polamalu, then I agree, he might be a better pick at #4 than anyone else. The question is: Is he THAT good? And that's where GMs get paid the big bucks. As a fan, without access to the info Douglas has, or being able to see him live in action and at the Combine, I'm not equipped to make that judgement. If Douglas thinks he's worth that pick, I'll trust him, but in my experience, Safeties, no matter how good they are, don't impact a game like an equivalent Edge.

semperfigreen and LAJet like this.
  16. boozer32

Yeah, the Jets are full of stop gaps all over the roster. You also cannot have a ton of money tied up in 3 guys playing the same position. A lineman taken @4 will get top dollar at a position that we seem to have bodies already manning them. Safety right now we have garbage and there is a top flight safety right there for the taking. That type of draft logic is why we are in this mess. The Jets drafted defensive tackles every year and it lopsided the roster and talent level of the Jets. Time to try something different.

semperfigreen and Ralebird like this.
  17. boozer32

I don't understand how you can label Lawson injured and then 3 lines down have him as the main cog in your defense. The Jets do this type of drafting they load up one position every year and forget about the rest of the roster. We saw it with Gholston, Wilkenson, Richardson, Lee. Never addressing the offensive side and just counting on getting pressure on the QB which they never ever did. Time to do something different.

semperfigreen and Jojo like this.
  18. boozer32

Thank you I agree. The guy is a Ph.D. in the secondary with great size and sideline to sideline coverage. A lot of people want to address this position in free agency but this is the Jets and a lot of players don't want to come here. With Maye possibly gone this is a need.

semperfigreen likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Because if he’s healthy he can probably contribute, but if he goes down again the Jets still have KT to take up the slack as a top line edge rusher.

If Jets take Hamilton and Lawson is injured again, they will be in same situation they were in last year, no pass rush and no one to help stop the run, which means Hamilton will be useless in the defense they use, since they don’t blitz a lot, he will be making tackles after the RB is 15 yards past the LOS.

#39 Red Menace, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  20. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Ok, so what if the Jets don't take Hamilton, and then there starting safety gets hurt? Who is gonna pick up the slack? This logic makes little sense, can't make emotional picks because your afraid Lawson will get hurt, with whom by the way we have a lot of money tied up in.

Ralebird likes this.