JD should take Hamilton without hesitation at 4....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NYJ1970, Feb 22, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Since Drafting Jones, 17 of their next 25 draft picks have been defense.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Personally, I would be fine with that strategy.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

gettleman was such a wild card and bad example for what any GM should do though. he had no logic behind anything

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

They are trying to extend Fant as we speak.

RT's do make less than LT's, and that's the price Becton will have to pay for nearly eating himself out of the league.

Nelson was the best G prospect in forever. Neither Ekwonu nor Neal is close to that. Either way, taking Nelson at 6 was still arguably a dumb move regardless of how good he's been. Having a good OL is more about having no weaknesses rather than a couple studs here and there. What has Nelson gotten the Colts in terms of wins or contention that they weren't able to attain without him?

KingRoach and boozer32 like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rarely. Most runs are off right tackles or guard pulling. You can find a center in the 7th round. Wasting a #1 one on one should get Douglas fired.

KingRoach likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I've seen a safety get a team a butt load of draft picks.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If JD does his job correctly in this draft, the Jets shouldn't be drafting this high for a while - maybe 1 more year, but let's hope not. He needs to take advantage of premium positions and grab DE, LT, WR or CB as high as possible. No TE's, C or guards in round 1, unless he trades way down. I want no part of Stingley with either 1st round picks, mainly bc I think the CB's currently are good enough not to use a top 10 pick on CB. I would be OK if Hamilton is still there at 10, even though it goes against the "premium" value, bc the talent level is there. (I am aware he most likely won't be there, but for whatever reason guys drop every single draft that nobody saw coming.) With so may holes, go BPA in round 2 at any position other than QB, RB, etc. Same with 3rd and maybe round 4. If JD takes a risk on a dropping injured player, questionable off-field issues, it's rounds 4/5 or later.

This HAS to be the draft which yields multiple frontline starters for this team to fix the roster the right way and to ensure long term success...

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Come on. You know that I didn't say that the WRs were a problem because they were injured. GTFO with that nonsense. The WRs were the problem because they didn't know the offense/ their assignments early,a nd then dropped bunches of passes that killed drives. If they had stayed healthy and actually caught the ball, their stats would have been better with Zach. My problem was with your trying to intimate that the other QBs must be better and Zach is shit because the WRs had better stats with them.

11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ok. You must haven't been watching. Did you see that pass Zach threw to Elijah Moore on a quick slant? It was like 150 mph. Of course he dropped it. Zach had poor ball placement much of the year.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Along with the ankle tappers and the throws behind the WR's or way above the WR's, it wasn't all on the WR group, there was an awful lot of bad throws and it would be very revisionist to pretend otherwise.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Eh not totally true. Troy had Ike Taylor for all 12 years of his career, they both played from 2003-2014, all with the Steelers. Not an elite player but I would say above average for a lot of it. I’m pretty sure he started all 3 of their Super Bowls (‘05, ‘08, and ‘10).

Ed Reed had McAllister yeah but he had 2 years of Jimmy Smith, including the ‘12 Super Bowl. I think Smith also wasn’t elite but was above average.

Both teams had overall very good defenses though, and excellent pass rushers.

I think as a defense, you need a pass rush, no liabilities anywhere, and like 2-3 very good playmakers, ideally 1-2 DB and 1 LB.

I think that makes a championship caliber defense. Because the game has shifted to a passing league, I think I’d rather have the DB playmaker be a CB than S but I don’t think it’s a rule.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

Both of you are right. The WR’s didn’t play well in the first quarter/third of the season, except for Davis who also did have drops. Wilson did struggle with accuracy as well, and as the season wore on, the WR’s played better but also struggled with injuries.

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  15. MaximusD163

It’s interesting to look at but here are my thoughts:

Who were the most impactful defenses in the playoffs? And who were their impact players?

LAR:
    PR-Aaron Donald, Von Miller, Leonard Floyd
    DB-Jalen Ramsey

TB:
    PR-Vita Vea, Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul, Shaq Barrett
    DB-Antoine Winfield Jr.

SF:
    PR-Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Javon Kinlaw
    DB-Jaquiski Tartt?

CIN:
    PR-Trey Hendrickson
    DB-Jessie Bates

I think great secondaries prey on weak QB’s and load up the stats. But when it comes to playoff time, dominant pass rush is more valuable. I think offense and pass rush where you have to load up, and get at least 1 very good secondary player.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There are two problems here. 1) I never said that you said injuries were the problem. I was responding to the poster (KY Jets fan) who said it was. 2) Nowhere in any post did I say Zach was "shit." Our point of contention was about the receivers not Zach. You want to throw our receivers under the bus and blame them for Zach's struggles. I merely pointed out that Jet receivers had better numbers with the 3 other QBs, which I interpret to mean our receivers are competent and the discrepancy is due the QB throwing the ball. This was not meant to demean Zach, who we all know struggled last year. However, I completely accept this as part of his natural QB development, but he also needs to continue to develop. When that happens, the receiving corps, and the entire team, will do better. And by the way, if there is a problem with the receiver corps as you say, then the accountability for that, aside from the coaching staff, falls on JD who signed Davis and Cole as FA's and drafted Moore. Those three along with Crowder are our top WRs.

#116 westiedog1, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Ralebird likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We did all that but never checked out his fricken knees :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Murrell2878 likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

because Josh Evans failed a piss test :mad::mad::mad:

Murrell2878 likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While our needs scream DEFENSE! it's also important to bolster our offense for this reason: In 2 short season JD will have to make a HUGE call on going forward with ZW or moving on (ala Sam Darnold). One thing we can't have clouding his decision (and ours) is this: "ZW's poor play is due to running for his life every pass play plus look who he was throwing to". We truly need an above avg oline, WRs, and TE. There can be no doubt in whatever decision is made down the road. We need to give ZW every chance to succeed, even more so than our defense being top 5.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

however if you load up on WRs and TEs and Wilson sucks then they never get to develop to their potential and they are wasted picks