JD should take Hamilton without hesitation at 4....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NYJ1970, Feb 22, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I think only posters that clearly do not know what they're talking about don't want Hamilton. They say we don't want another Jamal Adam's. That only comes from fans that clearly have no grasp of what the Safety does. Hamilton is bloody versatile and he's exceedingly talented at ANYTHING he does Safety wise. Jamal was a one trick pony. He's not even in the same arena as Hamilton. Kyle Hamilton has Troy Polamalu talent. I've also heard all this crappola about Safety not being a premium position. My only response to that let's just see how much you give a fuck when Hamilton reaches the peak of his talent. I'm not ready to say Joe Douglas is on the hot seat but the expectations for him are quite clear.... make the playoffs or go away. So knowing that, Joe Douglas must hit another home run in this draft also if the Jets are going to be playing meaningful games in December/January. Hamilton and Linderbaum look to me like future hall of farmers. Both of them are well within the Jets grasp. My dream draft goes like Hamilton at 4, Linderbaum at 10, Boye Mafe at 35, and Trey McBride at 38. Couple that draft with a good FA and now we're talking. Barring injury, that's a team that's good enough to play meaningful games late in the season......

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Best part of this post was "hall of farmers"

horsehead, Brook!, NYJ1970 and 19 others like this.
  3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I would love to see Hamilton on the Jets. Clearly the back end of the secondary was a major weak spot. You wouldn't get any complaints from me.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those who continue to argue for Hamilton miss the point: he may well be another Polamalu, and were the Jets already a playoff team it would then be reasonable for him being their first pick, but the Jets are not a playoff team. And despite needing to upgrade Safety adding Hamilton won't have the impact that adding a great Edge or WR will.

SOJAZ, BudJet, NYJetsO12 and 5 others like this.
  5. Murrell2878

Is there a WR worthy of the 4 pick? I agree about the Edge. I'd take both of the edge players over Hamilton.

Still a long way to go before the draft. Who knows what will happen before then. May trade for a WR. May trade out of the 4 spot to a QB needy team. May sign a safety in FA.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the problem of drafting at #4 this year. There may not be an Edge worthy of taking at #4 and there isn't a WR worthy of being taken that high. The two best players available at that point will be Hamilton and Ekwonu (assuming that the Jaguars or Texans don't take him).

I'm torn. I love both Ekwonu and Hamilton, but I think a strong case can be made for not taking either. I'd really rather get a blue chip player at #4 and not trade down, and I doubt if someone will blow us away with a trade down offer, but if they did, I'd probably be for it at #4, but not #10. To make it worth the Jets while and to get value, I think that at a minimum, they'd have to get the other team's 1st and 2nd round picks this year and their 1st or 2nd next year, and that's if that team is in the top 10. If they're outside the top 10, more picks or a player or two would have to be included.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Nobody is arguing Hamilton’s talent. Part of the problem is the Jets have so many holes and areas in need of top talent you can make that argument for different positions. That’s why if a guy like KT is there - a premium edge which the Jets have not drafted in the first round for a long time - I have a hard time believing JD would pass that up.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jamal Adams has nothing to do with it for me. Hamilton is not only a different type of safety, but much better. I think there is no doubt that Hamilton would help our secondary a lot and would give us a true ballhawk and playmaker. He would help in pass coverage and in stopping the run. I won't be upset if JD takes him at #4, but I'm not ready to say that he should or that it's a big mistake if he doesn't. The fact of the matter is that S isn't a premium position. One of the big mistakes that Mac made was using top 10 draft picks on non-premium positions.

The problem in this draft is that JD is in a bit of a hard place. One cannot draft simply from need. BPA must be considered strongly. #4 is too early to draft an OG, and unless they're moving on from Fant or Becton, they shouldn't draft another OT there, unless they really have doubts about Becton coming back in shape and playing well. It's also too high to draft a TE or WR in this draft. We could take a CB (Gardner, not Stingley) there, but imo we don't need to take a CB that early, if at all. I think we'd be better served signing a veteran FA, rather than adding yet another rookie to the mix. We need some veteran experience back there. Whereas Saleh said he'd like to have a CB who can shut down the other team's top WR in man coverage, he also said that it's not necessary, that he wants the strength on the DL and the pass rush. Edge is really what we need to take at #4, but Hutchinson almost certainly won't be there, and KT may not be, either.

We need blue chip players, expecially blue chip playmakers, so trading down isn't ideal, either.

I think you're over the top saying that posters who don't want Hamilton don't know what they're talking about. I can understand why they wouldn't want to take him at #4. They have valid reasons.

That said, unless one of the Edges is there at #4, or Burks or Wilson blow the top off the Combine and their value shoots up that high, Hamilton might be the best choice or the lesser of the evils, depending upon how one looks at it. I don't know what to hope for at this point, but I do know that if JD takes Hamilton at #4, more than likely, I won't be upset. About the only scenario where I could see myself getting initially upset is if Burks shoots up that high in the ratings, and JD takes Hamilton instead. That said, I trust JD, and if he makes that pick I will give him the benefit of the doubt until he is proven wrong.

#8 NCJetsfan, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I see it as well

I do NOT want a safety at 4…I’d rather draft an OT there if we let Moses go and that gives us insurance on Becton, who I’m pretty down on now … unless he comes back in shape and ready to go.

and for all the talk about Polamalu…he was drafted 16th overall in 2003…Ed Reed was drafted 24th overall in 2002…neither was top ten. I get it was a different game back then, but still, we have holes at other more impactful positions. Not saying we don’t need him…he’d be a great addition, but I just hate drafting a safety that high. I’d rather go Edge, OT or WR

it’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out after free agency and the combine

the other thing that makes me chuckle when I see all these mock drafts by the experts is when they have us going CB at #4 overall…clearly they haven’t been watching JD…that is one position that he won’t spend a high pick for…shoot, he hasn’t drafted one higher than round 5, even when we had zero proven players there…

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

"I think only posters that clearly do not know what they're talking about don't want Hamilton. "

That's one way to start a post

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I go even further on this one: Is there ever a WR worthy of a pick as high as #4? Maybe. Historically, I can think of a few. Unique thing about the WR position is - it's really the only position on the field that relies on the performance another position for success. Plus, take out those few game-changing players and the margin between good and great doesn't seem so wide that I'd ever spend a top-ten pick on one. But that's just me.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

2020: Jerry Jeudy
    2021: DeVonta Smith
    2022: Kyle Hamilton, future Hall of Farmer

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No complaints from me.

I disagree with the commonly held notion that safety isn't a premium position.

16. Murrell2878

Good to see you old friend ️

17. mrjet80

You did an excellent job breaking this down. I agree 100%.

I will add I think it’s almost 100% certain the Lions will take Hutchinson assuming the Jags don’t. I also think there’s a slight chance the Texans will take Hamilton depending on who the first two players chosen are. The mystery is who the Jags take because I don’t realistically see any team giving up the assets it would take to get the #1 pick. Not in this draft …..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. mrjet80

I definitely agree with your last paragraph. I don’t see JD drafting a CB either - not at #4. When I see a mock draft with Stingley at #4 I close the page lol. I read somewhere both JD and Saleh are very happy with Hall, Echols, and Carter and are willing to give them another year before considering drafting one higher. I do think they need to sign another CB in FA - a little older to add experience.

Jets79, Jojo, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There’s a pretty poor misconception around here that Jamal Adams wasn’t an impact player for us. It looked different than a traditional safety, but Seattle revealed exactly how not to use him.

When he was here, he was covering tight ends effectively in man coverage, sacked the quarterback, blew up screens, caused tackles for loss, etc. Those are all impact plays.

The issue is that he wanted to be paid like a safety who picks off balls and effects where quarterbacks throw the ball and he was a jerkoff who didn’t want to be here on top of it.

Now to Hamilton - he has the makings of a safety that can be the player that forces the quarterback to throw where he wants them to throw it. It’d be tough to be mad at the pick.

MoWilkBeast, PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let me try and clarify my position on Safety. If you say that Safety is a "premium" position, then I think you say all positions can be considered "premium".

Secondly, even if you have a great HOF Safety if you don't have a pass rush, and good CB play, most decent QBs can avoid throwing in his direction...IOW, a Safety, even a great HOF Safety isn't going to change the course of things as much as some other positions, like Edge, or even a great LB or NT, and that's just on "D".

I'm not saying that having a great Safety wouldn't help a lot, but again, for this team, at this point in the rebuild, it's a luxury, when they could invest that pick, or trade back for more picks in filling other holes.

SOJAZ, NYJFOREVER, Jets79 and 2 others like this.