Portis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jan 5, 2007.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Big rumor in DC that Washington will be trading Clinton Portis to the Jets in the off-season for their 2nd round pick back.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That would be the biggest steal of the offseason... Portis is still young, and giving away a 2nd round pick for a marquee runningback is fine. If our 2nd round pick RB becomes as good as Portis, we made an amazing pick.

3. JJBagoose

JJBagoose Active Member

Portis would be AWESOME

4. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not a huge Portis fanatic, but he is much better than anything else we have.

5. Gator

Gator Active Member

I don't know. Portis his first couple of years in the league would be awesome. Portis now at his number nursing his assortment of injuries is another story. Why can't we find a Portis of our own in the draft and pay him rookie money? Denver finds one very year.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And honestly, it does make sense for Washington, too. I doubt anyone would give a first rounder for Portis, and we have a high 2nd rounder. They have Betts and Duckett.

7. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

For thier 2nd Rnder back? nahh maybe for our 2nd rounder

8. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

i'm not a big fan of portis but that would be an unbelievable deal for the jets

9. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

just curious where is this rumor coming from? any links?

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I hated the Portis for Vilma deal suggested a few weeks ago, but I'd take this and run like hell before the Skins could change their minds.

11. #28Martin

Hahahahaha,,, yeah, alright. That deal, for Washingtons pick is a steal for the Jets.

12. #28Martin

Friend of mine who lives down south says it's all over Washington DC radio. And funny that Vilma was just mentioned cause that was the other rumor. That the Jets would be acquiring Portis from Washington for EITHER Washington's pick back OR Vilma. I wouldn't like to give Vilma up either.

13. joejets1

joejets1 Member

only reason i dont like it is because after he left Denver he has not performed well adn brings up the question was he just successful because of the Denver running system.

14. #28Martin

He had almost 1,600 yards last season.

15. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

that's more like it. They have no bargaining power and RBs don't command that high a price.

16. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

theres no way that tannenbaum would even consider letting jonathan vilma go for a running back unless its ladainian tomlinson but if the redskins propose portis for 2nd rounder tanny wouldnt even hesitate... portis fits right into the mangini system: houstons size and power, washingtons speed and cuts

17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

eh. i would do it. we have two 2nd round picks

18. Calz

Calz New Member

Portis could possibly better his health with the Jets, seeming as we might have a quality conditioning program set up now, as compared to Club Ed from the past three seasons - how do three guys in the lineup tear their triceps muscle in the same season? What a fool Edwards was... (and is):deadskins:

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That would be an extraordinary deal.

We'd be getting the better of the bargain if we gave up both of our 2nd rounders.

20. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

ok so at first i was skeptical about the trade but i did a little more research and found myself pleasantly surprised.

Clinton Portis would have been on pace for 1,046 yards this year and that is will a nagging hand injury. His hand is broken, and that is an injury that a running back can recover from. It isn't like he tore his ACL or anything. He's still only 25 years old and that would guarantee a marquee running back in our offense for at least another five years. He threw two TD passes the past two seasons and that could open up a whole other dimension of trick plays for Mangini, seeing as the Jets have three viable options for TD passes in Pennington, Portis, and Brad Smith. He has consistantly run in the 1500 yard range every year besides this one, fumbles very little and ran a 4.42 in the 40 yard dash. This would be an absolute steal for the Jets.

However, lets worry about that in the offseason... get out there and beat the Pats baby.