Is Braxton worth his asking price...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Seems to me he was WR 1 this season.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No. We haven't even seen anything from his agent and most commenting have not considered that it is extremely rare for most players to get close to what they are asking for, it is simply a jumping off point for negotiations. That does nothing to stop wild speculation and many posters digging in their heels and strapping an extra rubber band around their own wallets.

Salaries are not a simple thing to explain either as someone above has already mentioned. Here's a source for what the top player salaries look like by position:

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

Here's one that shows more of the total contract and how the above annual average is calculated:

Wide Receiver Active Player Contracts | Spotrac

And here's a section that compares the value of free agents available at their positions;

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

You can do a deeper dive by clicking on each player.

cval likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why do you argue the case non-stop?

You don't have to be right or wrong on this issue you know, opinions is all that it is, you have given yours multiple times to different people.

We get it, he is a WR4 special teams player and not worth 9m (pretty much what 99% of people including his fans have said, ie 6-7m seems a popular figure).

Though with a risk of a long back and forth I do wonder how you know he isn't possible a top end WR3 or a low end WR2 because he has just kept producing when thrown the ball, the reason his numbers are smaller is that they have never thrown him the ball enough, but he keeps on giving when the chances present themselves.

People are always running him down on here, I find it very bizarre tbh

Yet Mims got a 20-page thread mostly with people backing him to become a WR 1 for the first 5 pages or so before it slowly dawned on them that, in fact, that this is very, very unlikely to happen.

#103 K'OB, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Berrios decision is a simple one to me.

The Jets have next to no playmakers on their roster in all three phases. Berrios makes plays on offense, kick return, and punt return. Sign the man. Don't overpay to 9M a year. Load up GTD money in the first two years.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I do not think Douglas is an idiot. If Berrios wants to come back they will get it done unless some other team backs up the Brinks truck.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets coaching staff understands his value more than anybody. Then know what he can do and what he can't do. So the staff's evaluation of his value and the price of that value in the marketplace will determine the Jet's financial offer. They might pay him a little extra for continuity, but it's really as simple as that.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No. The real point Is...

We don't have a handful of "Elite" guys in this team. I'm more concerned about that aspect of this team.

..and, no, I don't view Berrios as much more than an all-pro RETURN guy. I barely view him as that. I can't discredit the year he had though, so, yeah, give him that title. It was only had through one year of quality work In that aspect of his game though.

We don't even know If he can come close to the year he just had. How long was he on this team before he had that kind of result?

It doesn't truly matter if he stays or goes. Would love to keep him but he hasn't shown enough to be paid like a top slot guy though. That's silly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

based on what? the coaching staff didn't play him over the 4 guys ahead of him when healthy. stat wise he had 432 yards and 2 TDs in 16 games. skill wise? he clearly couldn't get open against better CBs which killed our offense later in the season.

i'm not arguing. and it's not about right or wrong. its a message board, it's called a discussion. it's kinda the whole purpose of this site existing.

as far as berrios goes, we seen him as a starter due to injuries and he's just not good enough. he can't get open against better CBs. he doesn't have the physical traits for it in a way an elijah moore does. his numbers are only as good as they were (which isn't saying much) because we had nobody else and MLF schemed ways to get him open. he's good with the ball in hands in space but isn't good enough of a WR to get open against even decent CBs. the mims thread was a joke because people were enamored with his size, speed, and draft position

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. K'OB

Arguing a case
    With the first kind of essay, you are expected to 'argue a case', in the legal sense of the phrase. In other words, you prove or disprove the point of view foregrounded in the question by considering the evidence for and against it and coming to some kind of informed conclusion.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Berrios could 'become' if given the chance.

We all have him pegged as a good returner and WR #4. Slot WR behind Cole Sr, Moore, and Crowder. Rightfully so, perhaps. He's our gadget guy with good hands, speed.

Could he be even more if given the chance? I mean a real chance with reps, practice, plays, etc? Could he become, dare I say, our modern-day WC?

If we resign him for big bucks, I bet we get to find out! I don't think we're not gonna pay him 7-9m and be fine with keeping him as WR4. Now that LeFleur knows what he has, he'd gonna design a few plays just to get the ball to him downfield.

And I like ur take on Burks....

Ralebird likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

i'm not trying to prove is disprove anything. i'm discussing things with people. they can think what they want. it's NFL contracts nothing is factual, it's based on the thoughts and execution of 32 people in the US out of 330 million

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think he will "become" anything other than what he already is. He simply isn't that talented. Like WC, he has created a niche for himself with his hard work, effort and attitude/heart, but he is limited physically in terms of talent/speed. WC played in a different era. Players are faster now, bigger now. I'm not certain that if WC played today he'd have the same success that he did when he played.

#112 NCJetsfan, Feb 10, 2022
    Kryoptix, IIMeanDeanII and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. K'OB

Ok then but jus answer me this.

When he was being used as this #1 #2 WR who was in charge of the team and how well were we playing as a unit and who was the QB and what kind of...

Actually don't bother, I concede [​IMG] he is a punt returner WR4.

Next.

14. K'OB

No the point is

We need more than just elite players all over the park because you can have elite players all over the park in the NFL, so don't let a guy go that you know isn't a scrub and has something to offer the team and in more than one facet.

I also have said I wouldn't give him 9m either, if indeed that is even what he has asked for. I did offer up a 9m based on fulfilling set targets but that would only be to our good at the end of the day.

6-7m I'd sign him tomorrow and give him a bigger role in the team.

15. GasedAndConfused

week 16 and 17 he was the starter because crowder, moore, and davis were all hurt. he couldn't get open. he had a total of 18 targets, that led to 13 catches for 102 yards. most of them schemed him open on short catches. he wasn't able to get open. IIRC me and @MaximusD163 discussed this on his podcast after watching the all-22 on one of the games. I forgot which one.

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Because a lot has to do with the special team unit on the field. Not to take anything away from Braxton, but the two long returns he had this year he had clear sailing and didn't have to be very creative, which says a lot for the special teams scheme on kickoffs. Its not just KR vs other team. Lets show some love for the other 10 guys on ST, & yes I do want Braxton back next year...but not at 9mil, 7mil & not a penny more.

#116 BudJet, Feb 10, 2022
    MoWilkBeast likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So I’ve thought about this and I think Berrios’s value is probably around $5.5 million on the top end. Add in the shitty franchise premium and that gets us to $7 million tops.

Berrios’s agent understands that the Jets have more to gain by keeping Berrios than he does as a player, because they’re in a spot where they need Wilson to be comfortable and take two steps forward next year or a lot of these guys are going to be fired rather quickly.

So they float the $9 million number out there so the Jets don’t low ball them at $4-4.5 which is a team friendly deal.

I like him at $6-7 per year over three years, with zero guaranteed money in the third. Any more and I think I’m out.

Brook!, NYJFOREVER, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  18. K'OB

Excellent work, that is why I raised the white flag.

19. GasedAndConfused

it's not a white flag situation. it's a discussion. IDK whats mentally wrong with you that you think a discussion on the internet is a win/lose argument and not just 2 people talking about a subject

IDFjet likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In the same vein, the coaching staff can change opinion on players during the season which may be part of why we saw berrios get more opportunities later in the season. If they had come to that kind of enlightenment earlier his numbers may have been better. Every team in the league saw what happens when you throw him the damn ball.

dmw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.