Is Braxton worth his asking price...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Crowder is a good example. We paid him 28.5 million for 3 years (9.5 a year) - but only 17 million guaranteed. When his guaranteed money ran out we told him to take the minimum or be cut - even though he was our leading WR the last two seasons, which was a different business decision.

I think we could do a slightly cheaper version for Berrios - decent money but only half guaranteed. Crowder is a better WR but Berrios has become a talented returner so it balances out.

Jets79 likes this.
  2. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Sorry but no one on the outside knows Berrios demand. Berrios turned out to outplay cole by a huge margin and does more than crowder. If i could only have one it would be BB. I am continually amazed by the fuxation on salary. They are all overpaid but are entitled to what they can get

Ralebird, Losmeister, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Berrios stayed on the field. Crowder has proven he cannot stay healthy.

94Abraham, Losmeister and Jets79 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

mac overpaid for a lot of players though. but at the time we were desperate and crowder was one of our top 2 WRs so the 9.5mil made sense. when he slipped into a competition for WR3 JD cut his salary becuase he knew he wouldn't get that much on the open market. I don't see a way berrios gets what he wants

I could argue crowder does more becuase he was our gadget play guy. he can throw the ball. berrios never replaced that part of him while filling in. berrios does more on special teams which you expect from your WR4. I think berrios could be replaced with a 5th round pick who would cost a fraction. I'd rather spend 9 mil on an actual WR who would be in the top 3 then a guy who is a sub and mostly a special teamer

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Wilson can form chemistry with other receivers if necessary.

6. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Funny how many posters know far more than professional GM's. If Berrios price on the open market is too high for your taste, and his replacement could come from a 5th round pick, than the teams making him offers are just idiots, right? I mean they could be idiots (we have had our share), yet I suspect they know football and have reasons why they think Berrios would be worth the money.

I am very old and my memory is shaky, but i seem to recall many gadget plays with Berrios. I could be wrong.

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Great article. Very thorough.

8. GasedAndConfused

we don't know what he'll actually get. he can ask for whatever he wants. doesn't mean he'll get it.
    also depends on each teams needs, cap space, and draft picks. berrios himself was a 6th rounder who was cut after 1 season on IR and we picked him up on waivers

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

its not about average salary per year its about the guarantee. 7 per year seems right. The bidding begins with the guarantees

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sounds fair to me.

ouchy likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If he was a FA from another team would we consider paying him 9mm a year? Obviously no way. Would we even pay him 7mm? Probably not.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This isn't really true. Players know that teams will pay them what the team thinks they're worth, and there's no set escalator mechanism that automatically drives up the salary for any other player based on what another player gets. If the Jets decide Berrios is worth $9M to them and they pay it doesn't obligate them to pay more than they want to any other player, they'll still offer what they think that player's value is to them - maybe the player warrants a raise because of his past season, or maybe he deserves a cut, whatever the case may be, the team treats him as the individual player that he is. IOW, these aren't union jobs where a given job pays a set rate regardless of who performs it, and where if you want to pay employee A more money you have to pay employee B more money too.

Berrios has carved out a unique role with the Jets that makes him valuable to them. How valuable? We'll see. But whatever they pay him won't affect the salary of anyone else, other than whatever they pay him depletes the overall pot of money for everyone else.

Rockinz and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But if he was a FA from another team he wouldn't have the proven track record of success with the Jets and Wilson in particular.

NCJetsfan, IDFjet and REVISion like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

semantics….#3 vs #4 is very subjective…right now, we are looking at Davis and Moore as our top two starters, right? We need receiver help as I don’t think we have either Crowder or Cole signed? Not sure
    Like who? I’m not saying Berrios is the best WR but if we let him go that’s another hole we have fill at the WR spot in addition to the KR and PR spots…you’d probably be at the same price point anyway or close to it. I disagree that we can easily find a 5th round guy that can do what Berrios does….not that’s it’s impossible as Berrios himself was a 6th round pick….but it’s a gamble. The 5th round pick probably has less than a 40% chance of matching Berrios.

this is similar to how Mac let players like Myers go because he didn’t want to “overpay” a K and we’ve had shit since then…or when he let Andre Roberts go because he didn’t want to “overpay” a KR and lo and behold, we had shit returners until guess who…Berrios…finally got us a KR TD.

I’m not saying overspend like crazy all over the place like Mac did, giving out huge dollars to scrubs like Trumaine Johnson one washed up guys like Bell, but shit, for a couple million I’d rather have the known quantity player than saving a damn million and having shit on the field. I totally get cap management but this is not a cap breaking deal.

In the end, he can ask for whatever he can doesn’t mean he’ll get it, but I just hope we don’t make the same mistake we did with Robbie where we “thought” he would command more and we could’ve kept a productive player instead of creating a hole…so yeah, we saved a few million and filled the hole with Perriman…How’d that work out?

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

Berrios missed the last game of the season. he hasn't proven he can stay on the field either.

16. GasedAndConfused

no but for 9 mil we can get a better WR in free agency. we also have 4 picks in the top 38 so WR is a real possilbity. not to mention later picks. we could grab burks in the mid 1st, and calvin austin in the 5th. add in a FA like say humphries who would cost like 2 million and we'd have a group of davis, moore, burks, austin, humphries, mims, and smith. we could even go after a dj chark who is a much better WR and would cost about 12 mil a year. i'd rather pay 3 mil more for a chark

calvin austin III 5th round prospect. KR/PR and as a WR he's elijah moore lite. berrios was a 6th rounder. he did good when given a chance and will get some good money but he isn't worth 9 mil. for a few mil more we could get a juju or chark or gallup.

as far as the guys you mentioned it doens't make your point. roberts wasn't worth what buffalo paid him and never really did anything there other then 1 year as a returner only. returns are kinda phased out of the NFL. rarely happen. pay a guy for 1 TD a year? not worth it. the problem is you pay a few guys 2-3 mil more then they are worth and all of a sudden your down enough money you could have signed a whole solid starter.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

A waiver claim player, who improved year after year and works his tail off

If you believe in "Building a Culture" not sure how you don't resign Berrios. Let' try to keep some good players around who have developed on the team.

I am sure Joe D can finesse the contract

Brook!, ouchy, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Dear god :rolleyes:

KingRoach, Ralebird, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Jets need to bring this guy back. This is where numbers and actually watching the games make a difference. He was Mr. Clutch with several 4th down receptions, I do not remember him dropping a pass and more importantly, the young QB trusts him.

We can get better in the 5th round is how we end up starting guys like Tarik Black. Bring this guy back, SOJ if we do not.

Losmeister, K'OB, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If it's so easy to replace Berrios why aren't there 32 all-pro level return men in the NFL? Apparently you can find guys like him on day 3 easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.