Salehs press conference plus latest jet rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Feb 4, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to put this but maybe it can be used as an offseason rumors threads

here is salehs press conference

it's a good watch as he talks alot about the jets. One big thing of note is him stressing the importance of the d-line and even said "no matter how good our d-line is, we'll always look to improve it" really signals we are taking an edge early. he's also coaching a lot of the top edge rushers for the senoir bowl so he's getting an up close look.

Another thing of note he said was installing the gameplan. basically said for the offense scheme you want it to be complicated enough that you learn how good players are at picking up the playbook but not too complicated that it's impossible for them. said it's the same as installing a gameplan in the NFL where the book is adjusted and doing this tells you who can pick up the playbook. signals that he may be looking at the WRs in the room too.

next is rumors, mind you take it with a grain of salt since it's just that. here is a list of random rumors and how I feel about it

1) Jets draft priority is D-line, O-line, S, and WR. LBer isn't mentioned and jets feel they can address the TE spot in FA.

This makes sense. it's a big crop of free agent TEs that include schultz, njouku, engram, giseki, ertz, gronk, ebron, uzomah, oj howard, and hurst to name some. I'm suprised at the LBer though, it's a really weak group for us. but the jets love mosley for some reason. This means we could see hamilton or a trade down from 4 to land an edge and WR in the 1st. also leaves neal or okonwu as possibilities.

here are our unit ranks according to PFF

OL: 69.4 (12th)
    RB: 65.1 (25th)
    WR: 64.7 (27th)
    QB: 58.3 (29th)
    TE: 57.6 (30th)
    EDGE: 66.3 (15th)
    IDL: 55.0 (25th)
    CB: 58.6 (26th)
    S: 60.4 (27th)
    LB: 41.7 (30th)

makes sense our best units were the lines as that's where JD and saleh want to build it. Lber was awful though and is our worst unit. I recently was studying our d-line and it really popped to me on film how much we got gashed due to bad LBer play. I'd personally really want a dean or lloyd however if we could land a 2nd tier guy like harris, smith, muma, or walker later in the draft I wouldn't complain.

2) jets really like cole stange (OG)

makes sense. he's a 3rd-5th round guy who fits the scheme. meaning they could look to address o-line later in the draft after spending 1sts in consecutive years on the o-line

3) jets prefer to trade the 10th overall pick to move back and acquire a 1st in 2023

this one screams JD. he loves to get extra picks for future years since the value is devalued a round due to the win now nature of the NFL but since we aren't competing getting more value later for less now makes sense. means he could look to land a blue chip guy at 4, then trade back and get another guy they like later and have multiple 1sts next year as well

4) Jets really like jermaine johnsons (EDGE) and Drake London (WR)

this makes sense too. we know they want an edge. johnson was originally slated as a late 1st but is moving up boards. they could look to trade up from 35 to late 1st to get him or if he slides up boards to trade back from 10 to take him. london is projected as a mid 1st so he's another possibility. the jets want that big body guy which is why we brought in davis and drafted mims but davis is just 1 guy and also on a shorter deal and mims hasn't panned out at all. one or both of these players could be available with a trade back in the 1st from 10

Based on these rumors I did a mock draft of what our draft could look like for the 1st 4 rounds if these rumors are true. it's also likely with the trade backs we'd have an extra 1st in 2023 as well

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5, MaximusD163 and ouchy like this.
  2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

From all accounts Winfrey is as dominant as they come. I know I know an IDL but he is nasty, plus paired with Quinnen, Lawson, and say Jermaine Johnson...wow.

A lot depends on if Kayvon is there though. Could easily see the Texans taking Hamilton. Love that draft you put together. Agreed TE can be a FA get this year if we want.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think a part of London’s projection has to do with the injury, which may be relatively meaningless by the actual draft. You know I love Hamilton and London and Johnson so… I’d be down with that.

You also know how interested I am in trading down to acquire a 2023 1st as well.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just going to add the point that TE's are perennially among the most injured position groups in the NFL - which makes sense given the size they are and the responsibilities they have.

So if the Jets really want to add to their string of big ticket free agent injuries the best way to do that is to spend big bucks on a mid-career free agent TE. If they want to double or nothing on that they can buy one with an injury history.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are you this depressing in your real life?

PJ4Ever, BradysTornACL, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

FYI, Here in LA and around USC/UCLA campus in particular the hype on Landon is huge. The take is that if it wasn't for the broken ankle, they think he was on his way to shatter a few receiving records, and considered to be the total package by many. Might be wrong but in most evaluations I have seen by the experts, albeit early, they don't seem to be as high on him. as Wilson and others.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Please no DB's @ 4.

8. GasedAndConfused

it wasn't my 1st thought but following the rumors this made the most sense to me to match up. I addressed S, WR, and EDGE with the 1st 3 picks including a trade down at 10 and got the 2 players jets supposedly like. in the 3rd I grabbed more d-line and value. I assume right now we bring back foley but not shepard meaning the DTs are Q, foley, rankins, and marshall. marshall was a late pick last year and rankins is an older vet on a short deal so another DT made sense. and the value was there. I grabbed muma with the other 2nd pick. may be early and not sure jets want a LBer but I didn't see anyone else that caught my eye. with the 2 4ths I got strange for RG as is the rumor and then grabbed another big WR in Ezumanma.

that means for the main positions we wanted to upgrade (and not including FA)

EDGE: Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Huff
    DT: Q, Foley, Rank, Winfrey

WR Davis, London, Moore, Berrios, Ezukanma,

O-line: Becton, AVT, Mcgovern, Strange, Fant

we also add muma and hamilton on defense to bolster the back 7

9. GasedAndConfused

I agree with no CBs and typically I wouldn't take a safety either but hamilton is a need and a generational safety at the ed reed type level who can force turnovers. saleh did mention we need to create more turnovers. hamilton is a stud ballhawk and a styd run defender and can cover TEs he's a rare complete package at safety with no weaknesses in his game and off the charts football IQ

Savatage likes this.
  10. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

We could have the second coming of Haynes/Hayes & Lott/Reed but if we still can't get to the QB, we're f'd. I'm hoping one of the top ER's are there @4. For the record, I'm a Notre Dame fan and would love to have him......@10.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Think I read recently that he's a member of Mensa. So just off the charts IQ, not just football one!

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I do overall doubt there’s a reality in which the Jets have the opportunity to get London, Hamilton and Johnson. They will probably need to use both of their 1st round picks to get London and Johnson if they want them. Maybe there is a trade back involved but it seems unlikely either one is going in the mid-late 20’s

barfolomew likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

yeah but were picking 4. the assumption is KT and Hutch are likely off the board so we'll be taking a T2 rusher regardless. no reason to reach at 4 with all the depth in this draft of good rushers. the jets like jermaine johnson which is the rumor so I also took us an edge. paired with lawson, JFM, and huff thats a good 4. plus Q and I added winfrey. Edge rusher is addressed.

the point here is who the jets are rumored to like. also after the top 2 rushers, the drop off from 3rd best to 8th best is minimal where the drop off from hamilton to any other safety is massive.

thats pretty interesting if true. he does play for ND which IIRC has pretty high standards for GPA to play for them

Savatage and ouchy like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well, I'm a Jets fan aren't I?

Most of the shit I know about how not to run a football franchise comes from watching the Jets work at screwing shit up over the years.

Brook!, barfolomew, stinkyB and 3 others like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is from a Connor Hughes article.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Lots to talk about.

First, it's really no surprise that the Jets will focus on the DL. That's the cornerstone of Saleh's D. Everything else keys off of the pressure that the DL creates. The Jets haven't drafted an Edge in the 1st round since Gholston, and it's way past time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a DT as well, or at least sign one in FA.

I like the way he's testing the players on the National team to see how they learn and how quickly they can learn and adjust. That's smart. I just hope that it doesn't wind up costing them to lose the game, because they have the more talented squad by far and it wouldn't be a good look. I did hear Todd McShay say that the American team had a much better DL and I don't buy that. If he's right, then some or a lot of the more familiar names on the National team's DL are well overrated.

I hope the Jets plan to do more with the TE position than just sign one TE in FA. If that's all they plan to do, they might as well not even bother. Griffin, Kroft and Wesco all need to be replaced. Even adding Schultz, I don't think MLF could effectively run his two TE offense having to put one of those other stiffs on the field. If JD doesn't sign and draft at least two TEs, I will lose a chunk of faith and trust in him. Also, we don't know how many of those TEs will actually make it to FA. Less than 1/2 could wind up making it. They aren't at all equal, either. Some are more blocking TEs and others are more receiving TEs. Gesicki isn't a fit imo. Schultz is on one tier by himself. Njoku and Engram are tier two. Gronk is too old and I doubt that he'd ever sign with the Jets. Ertz has problems staying healthy and is 31, or he'd be up there with Schultz. The rest are all bottom tier, and the only way I'd want one of them is if the Jets still drafted two.

I've been saying that our LB unit was most of the problem in our D, both vs the run and the pass. I have seen at least one writer who said that he thinks the Jets are happy with Sherwood, Nasirildeen and Q. Williams to go with Mosely, but I hope he was wrong. I hope they will be able to get Muma in the 3rd round. They probably won't, but I think our two 2nd round picks need to be used on TE and S, or if we don't get a WR at #10 (or following a trade down), then a WR and TE.

I haven't seen any rumor about the Jets really liking Cole Strange, and it would be strange if that's true. He may have some potential for the future, but based on what I've seen from him this week in Sr. Bowl practices, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the field this year, and maybe next. Even when he stays with his rusher, it's like he's on skates and gets pushed right back into the QB. He has no anchor whatsover and needs to get a LOT STRONGER. The OL that I have seen linked to the Jets and JD in quite a few reports is Trevor Penning. JD spent a lot of time with him on the sidelines speaking with him. Penning has a nasty streak and goes to the whistle. If Becton can come back and return to the form that caused us to draft him in 2020 adding Penning to the OL mix whether at OT or OG, along with AVT and whomever else will give us a good OL. The thing to worry about with Penning is penalties for unnecessary roughness and personal fouls.

I hope that the rumor about JD wanting to trade back and get a 2023 1st round pick is false. That would be a big mistake imo. He shouldn't get obsessed with having multiple 1st round picks every year. If he can't build a winner without that, then he isn't the right GM. Due to so many players going back to school last year, this is a very deep and strong draft at positions of need for the Jets (except C). We have no idea what next year's draft will look like. IMO I firmly and strongly believe with every fiber of my being that we need to strike while the iron is hot. Get the players we need this year. If nothing else, they'll have a year's experience and to develop, so that we'll have a much better chance of making the playoffs both this year and next. In addition to the draft possibly being weaker next year at positions of need, the team we trade with could have a great season and the value of that pick plummet. There's an old adage, that is apt and should be adhered to in this instance: "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Take the picks this year. Screw next year. A lot could happen between now and then. The Jets need the picks now. IMO this is just another thing that some Jets fans latch onto like trading up in the draft and always want to do it regardless of the consequences or situation. IMO that's not wise.

I hope the rumor about London and Johnson is false as well. IMO it doens't make sense at all. I think London has true bust potential. Every catch or almost every catch could wind up being a contested catch in the NFL. I love his height, but that's about all. Burks is 100 times a better fit and a better WR. Burks has better speed and explosiveness, YAC, a better frame for the NFL, ability to break tackles, versatility, scheme fit, and I believe hands. I think this is probably a rumor the Jets started to throw other teams off that they want Burks. If JD wants London over Burks, then I will think that he's not the GM for the Jets unless or until London and Burks prove me wrong.

Johnson has had a great week at the Sr. Bowl and raised his stock. To get him, the Jets would either have to pass on Burks or trade up from #35, and I think either would be a huge mistake. They absolutely cannot afford to trade up, especially with as many excellent Edge prospects as there are in this draft. If they miss out on KT or Hutchinson, they easily could be able to take one of Ebiketie, Enagbare, Hall, Williams, and maybe Cam Thomas at pick #35. I think Burks could do more for this offense, for Zach, and hence for the team, than any other player in this draft. Is Burks polished and perfect at this point? No, but that means he still has a very high ceiling and a high floor because of his versatility, hands, and the way he produced at Arkansas where he was basically his team's offense against SEC competition.

I would absolutely hate that draft. I'd like the Winfrey, Muma and maybe the Hamilton picks, but would hate the rest.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

yeah it's been a while since we did much on D with the draft. mostly because the offense was so putrid and JD is smart and knew we needed o-line for a young QB and becuase we needed a new QB. I agree it's time to do the defense. now we have our scheme. i'm glad we didn't draft D before the scheme change. it worked out well but it is time to address the defense badly.

I like what he's doing as a coach too and apparently the players like it alot too. everyone seems to love saleh. it's odd having a coach so liked. I do think based on what he said he's testing the WRs for their football IQ

as far as TEs go, I do trust in JD. Kroft is a solid 2 IMO. adding a TE1 like schutlz would do wonders. and maybe we have something in yeboah. that means TE wouldn't be a huge priority. we could also let kroft walk and sign 2. This allows more flexibility and more opportunity to draft defense. it also gives zach more proven ready help on offense

I agree on LBers, But i do think the class is deep enough we can add one in the 3rd or 4th to help out. It does seem though the CS likes mosley and quinin and sherwood and nasrildeen. maybe they are hoping cashman can last more then 1 play. IDK but i'm gonna trust in JD

the cole strange thing is odd but after reading scouting reports I get it. he's a 3-5th round prospect. his pro comp is LDT who we just traded for as a stop gap. He Won the Jacobs Blocking Award, given to the best offensive lineman in the Southern Conference, in both the 2021 and 2020 seasons. He's been getting praise at the senior bowl as well. he can add muscle and strength in the NFL. he's versatile and can play all 3 inside positions in the NFL, he's athletic and fits the system. worse case he can be solid depth but maybe a starter. we'll just have to see. I don't think we draft an OT. jets are looking to extend fant and we have becton. we might move becton to RT and fant did better at LT.

as far as trading back, Personally I think it's a great idea. I've been saying we should trade back from 10. I think there isn't much of a difference in the talent level we'd get at 10 then we would at 15-20. not to mention that pick was expected to be mid 20s anyway. the seattle implosion could lead to jamaal adams netting us 3 1st rounders. dropping back a few spots to get us an extra 1st next year would be fantastic for us and the rebuild. not like we would lose out on a player this year.

as far as london and johnson goes, I haven't done all my homework on the class yet. i'll be doing that over the next few months. I still don't want any WR at 10, but i'd be ok with a trade down and take one in the 15-20 range. Just not sure who I want yet. I know you love burks but he's likely there at 15 anyway. it could be a smokescreen but to be fair, shill a little. you've loved many players and have been wrong on it. so has all of us. You can't shit on JD for not picking who you want and thinking he should be fired when if you were the GM you would have been fired several times over at this point. I know your passionate and I like that about you, but sometimes just reel it back a little and be reasonable. You can like who you like while still trusting maybe JD would know more then me or you. As far as johnson goes, I feel we do better with power rushers in this system then speed rushers, I like cameron thomas so far but need to really dive into the edge's. there are about 7 guys all in the T2 category that most scouts believe haven't separated from the pack yet. you have KT and hutch in T1, then in T2 you have karlafits, johnson, thomas, ojabo, jackson, ebiketie, enagbare. there are also a few late round potential guys like tyreke smith and zach harrison.

as far as that draft goes, it's based on the rumors but not sure how you hate it? what if it was burks over london? is that the only reason you hate it? or if it was cameron thomas over johnson? The way i see it is that draft nets us a playmaker at all 3 levels of the defense. improves the edge and secondary by a ton. gives us a QB of the defense. and adds in big WRs with playmaking ability. the lack of a TE sucks but if we address it in FA then it's all good. what if we land schultz and gisecki in FA? we don't know what JDs plan is yet. sometimes you have to have a little faith. Hell Remember when I was praising josh allen and lamaar jackson and you got all pissed becuase you loved baker and said allen was trash and never gonna make it beucase he threw under 50% accuracy and lamaar was a RB not a QB? well now both are considered top 5-6 QBs in the NFL. lamaar has an MVP, allen has multiple pro bowls. we'd be lucky to have drafted either one. sometimes you have to realize you can be wrong and not hate so strongly other people's opinions because at the end of the day we are all just guessing best we can and the draft is a crapshoot.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll have no problem if they take him, I just won't expect anything from him for a year or two, but if winds up and having to play, it will be a pleasant surprise. I also think it's a year or two too early to be drafting players for 2-3 years down the road. Even if we sign a starting RG in FA, we need a decent back up, and will probably have to draft that backup. I don't see Strange as being acceptable ready to see the field in 2022. If the Jets draft him, I'll hope they're right and that I'm wrong, but it will create some doubt in my mind regarding JD until I am proven wrong.

I get the allure of having two 1st round picks again next year. As I said, however, one never knows where that pick will wind up or what the draft class would be like. When we could possibly trade down with Denver, who has two 2nd round and two 3rd round picks this year, getting several of those picks would go a long way towards helping the team this, would help the team get better faster, give them a better chance of making the playoffs sooner, and this draft is deep in positions where we really have needs: Edge, S, TE, LB, RB, CB, and OL. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point, because I think it would be a matter of getting greedy and being a bit foolish to not take picks this year.

I didn't say anything about firing JD. I said: If JD wants London over Burks, then I will think that he's not the GM for the Jets unless or until London and Burks prove me wrong. Hence, my mind is open and I am willing to be proven wrong. I definitely think JD is more knowledgeable and smarter about football than I am. I have also been wrong on prospects, but have also been right a LOT. I've also said in other posts that my mind isn't set in stone yet. I will continue to evaluate, and re-evaluate players at our key positions of need up until the draft and could change my mind. Something could come up that would change my mind about Burks and London, but I doubt it. Burks would have to have a bad football IQ (which is not what I've read), bad work habits, a bad character, or perhaps not love football or something. London truly scares the bejeebers out of me. I could easily see him busting in the NFL. I think he will struggle to get separation and catch passes in the NFL. He'll be a possession receiver, because he doesn't look to have the speed to get downfield within 5+ seconds.

I would hate that draft for a number of reasons. One, because we disagree pretty strongly about the priority of our needs. If JD takes Hamilton at #4, I won't hate that if he pans out, because I'll understand why JD made that decision, but I'd rather he didn't, so Hamilton would have to be an Ed Reed clone for me to really wind up liking/loving that pick. Two, the issue of London over Burks. I don't see London as having playmaking ability at all. I see him as a possession receiver. Period. The fact that you traded down for a 1st next year makes it even worse imo. Burks over London would make me like it a lot more, but again, I wouldn't trading down for a #1 next year rather than getting additional 2nd and 3rd round picks THIS year. I doubt that opinion will change for me. Three, for taking a 1st in next year's draft rather than more picks in this draft. Four, for trading up for Johnson. I think we cannot afford to burn picks in this draft trading up. Trading up for an Edge, is especially bad imo with so many other excellent Edge prospects in the draft. If the trade down from #10 had been for an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and maybe a 4th next year, I wouldn't hate the trade up for Johnson so much, as we'd in essence be using the additional picks we received for trading down to trade back up. Five, I need to watch more video of Johnson and could wind up really liking him, especially since he had such a great week at the Sr. Bowl, but in the video I've watched of him, I wasn't very impressed, and right now I like all of the following Edges better (Ojabo, Ebiketie, maybe Cam Thomas, maybe Enagbare, maybe Myjai Sanders), but that could change as I watch more video of them and read more scouting reports/comments about them. Six, I also think that we need to add an OT in this draft, even if it's just for depth. IMO Edoga or McDermott should never see the field again for the Jets. If the Jets don't re-sign Moses, just Fant and Becton aren't going to cut it. Even if they do sign Moses, they still need another OT. Seven, similarly, if they don't sign a starting RG in FA, they will need to draft an OG higher. Eight, because you burned picks trading up, we also can't add another RB, which I think we totally need, even if we sign one in FA. I don't agree that Walter is acceptable as one of our rotation of RBs. PS, ok, but not the regular roster, not yet, maybe ever. Nine, as I've stated several times, the name of the game in the NFL is offense, and unless Zach develops, it won't matter how good the D is. I understand that Saleh's gonna want premium picks used on his D unit. That's all the more reason why we need more picks this year, not next year, and not wasting picks trading up for a player, so we can add players to Saleh's D and still significantly upgrade the offensive personnel around Zach. Ten, I don't think that adding just one TE either via the draft or FA is enough. I disagree that it would all be good then. I strongly believe that Kroft should not be brought back. He can't stay healthy, and he dropped too many passes, some of them in key situations. If we wouldn't take a big cap hit and had the ability to replace Davis this year, I'd replace him too. I hate WRs, TEs and RBs that drop passes. It's inexcusable. I understand that shit happens, and maybe dropping one or two a season. Anything over that is inexcusable imo for an NFL WR or TE, and really is for a RB as well. There are WRs who go through seasons without dropping a single pass or who only drop 1-2 passes. Those are the WRs, TEs and RBs I want.

Finally, no one said we had to agree on who we draft or what our priorities are. It's not personal for me. I respect your knowledge and the fact that you have sound rationale for your decisions, moves, picks, etc., I just disagree. I'm just being honest about what I would think and feel about that draft. I could be wrong, and all that could work out beautifully, but I don't think it would. I have freely admitted that I was wrong about both Allen and Jackson, and I am not shy about admitting when I was wrong. That doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't "hate" an opinion or idea of someone else's until I am proven wrong.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Would just like to put in a positive word for Kyle Hamilton at #4, if the 2 top DEs are gone. I was against the Adams pick, even more against the Maye pick. The reason besides the obvious stupidity of #1 and #2 picks on a non-essential position, was because we desperately needed a QB not a safety at the time. Now, we have a QB, and Hamilton may be BPA when the Jets pick. As it turned out, I liked Adams and thought he was an excellent player, especially his ability to put pressure on a QB. Maye has turned out to be a good player as well when healthy. Nevertheless, it's not because I think Hamilton can be another Adams or Maye, but with his size, even better, he could possibly be another Sean Taylor and that makes him worth a #4 pick.

KingRoach, LAJet and ouchy like this.
  20. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

no to drafting a safety early. we tried that trick twice and both times it was a failure. no third strike with that failed game plan. we need edge rushers and playmakers on offense. multiple of both.

Jets79, stinkyB, Borat and 2 others like this.