Jim Harbaugh discussion

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Br4d, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Between the way he left Notre Dame high and dry before their New Year’s Six bowl, suddenly trying to talk with a Louisiana accent and shit like this, I can’t help but root like hell against that. And that comes from a place where understanding that good LSU teams are good for CFB.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

PFT says Harbaugh is interviewing with the Vikings.

If he has started NFL interviews he has to be done at Michigan. The renegotiation didn't go the way he wanted and as @Sundayjack has pointed out the situation at Michigan is always going to be second to the situation at *The* Ohio State University (sorry been listening to that for two decades now as alumni of OSU get introduced on NFL broadcasts and it has stuck.)

3. Br4d

Raiders just hired Not-Harbaugh as their HC.

4. Br4d

Vikings apparently have decided to hire not Harbaugh as their coach.

Once in a very long time an opportunity arises to completely reset the conversation about a bad team. A Bill Parcells agrees to coach for you and everything shifts just like that.

This is one of those times.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well except for the fact that he does not have a resume close to a Parcells, nor the reputation.

Apparently Harbaugh blew the interview with Vikings.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was just going to post that. When Parcells came to the Jets he had already won 2 super bowls with the Giants and was in another with the Pats. He'd been an NFL head coach for 12 years. Harbaugh has been an NFL head coach for 4 year and never won it all. He last coached an NFL team 8 years ago. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

7. Br4d

Harbaugh took a perennial loser to the Super Bowl in his second season. He went to the conference championship in his first and third seasons.

If you don't understand how big a culture shift he would be for the jets I can't help you out with that. That's wilful blindness on your part.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. bicketybam

Rex went in his first two.

I'm not discrediting Harbaugh but I don't like the comparison to Bill Parcells.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We might have to wait until Woody Johnson is 90 years old and dying before he gets the balls to make a move like this :(

10. Br4d

There is nobody available and unlikely to be anybody over the next couple of seasons who is more Parcells-like than Jim Harbaugh is right now.

You just don't often get the opportunity to hire a guy proven to lift programs quickly. There's nobody else out there with a proven record of success at all levels.

We pass this by and we'll likely never see another opportunity to make the change the Jets need.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Did he though? I think Harbaugh had his eyes set on Miami and his friend up in Minnesota that just got the General Manager helped him drive his price up.

Then the Flores thing happened and he’d be a lunatic to touch the Miami job now.

Do you really think Kevin O’Connell blew Zygi Wolf’s balls off more than Harbaugh did?

12. Attackett

Sean Payton is a far better Parcells comparison than Harbaugh. Harbaugh is not even in the same stratosphere as Parcells, at least Payton has a ring.

bicketybam likes this.
  13. Attackett

I have no idea, nor do you. The reports are that Harbaugh thought he had the job in bag given his friendship with the GM and he blew the interview.

You guys making Harbaugh into this slam dunk genius HC are hilarious.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Logically, it’s relatively easy to assume that a guy that has a phenomenal track record as a head coach likely is the one that walked away from the job.

He’s 44-19-1 in the NFL. He’s 117-51 in college. The 49ers went 8 straight years without a winning season and then he gets hired and they go 13-3 and to the SB the following year.

How can you say he’s not a very good head coach?

It’s pretty easy to see Miami was a great landing spot for a coach like him that has a ready built defense and can go win games with whatever he’s got on offense. He can Alex Smith his way along with Tua until he finds his replacement, and has the most cap space in the league with no really big free agents they need to retain.

Minnesota is caught badly in the “do we rebuild or not?” situation because of how much they pay Kirk and the weapons they have. But the defense and offensive line is pretty beaten up.

15. BrowningNagle

NFC North sucks though

16. Attackett

I didn’t say he wasn’t a good coach. I said he’s not nearly the coach that Parcells was when he came here, which he’s obviously not.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. bicketybam

I guess I missed it. What opportunity? Harbaugh isn't available.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

You just said he’s not a slam dunk genius head coach.

He might not be Parcells but he’s a pretty slam dunk option that isn’t available all too much. And your connotation seems to indicate that he’s not that good of a coach.

19. Attackett

That was exactly the point, that he is no Parcells and no I do not think he is as good of a coach as Parcells was.

There is no taking away his success with SF but that was a long time ago. I definitely don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he’d match that success at his next stop in the NFL though.

I was excited a couple years ago when the rumors popped up about Harbaugh to Jets and I certainly wouldn’t be against him if he was the Jets coach. He doesn’t change the fortunes of the franchise just by hiring him like Parcells did, nor do I think that he’s the closest one out there that does.

20. BrowningNagle

if he's not the closest then who is