Brady reportedly retiring

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seattle is not letting Russell Wilson go to Tampa Bay. Period.

He's under contract through 2023. If he wants to force his way out of town in a trade he probably can - in a trade to an AFC team unlikely to make the Super Bowl next season in what may well be Pete Carroll's last year.

My guess is that Seattle tries to trade him to the Jets if push comes to shove and failing that they talk to Houston and Cleveland and Miami. All destinations unlikely to propel Wilson into a potential showdown with Carroll if somehow the Seahawks make the big show.

The interesting destination would be Cleveland in a 1st round + Baker Mayfield type deal. That would give Carroll an improvement over a rookie QB and a 1st round pick to beef things up.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So a player has to have a skill set that transfer to a different game, 50 years before they started playing, or else they can’t be the greatest of all time?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

The Buccaneers that Wilson would go to, is not the Buccaneers that Brady plays with. Assuming they fit him into the cap, I imagine Gronk likely retires, Godwin walks to free agency, JPP, Suh, Davis, Jordan Whitehead and Fournette walk because the Buccaneers have no cap space. Ryan Jensen is a question mark. Leftwich might leave to be a head coach.

So it’s probably still a worthy landing spot, but I’d think Denver, Vegas and Miami offer better spots.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The green pants rained on my parade.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

"All time" is a very long time, my friend.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Spot on. I obviously don't like the guy for terrorizing the Jets for two decades but there is ZERO question he's the GOAT. It's not even close.

Brady is the Michael Jordan of football. Even moreso because there is at least a reasonable argument for LeBron over Jordan. Gretzky probably a better comp for Brady's career standing.

#66 REVISion, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

I think if we saw more elite quarterbacks during the time period cash in on Super Bowl victories there would be a bigger discussion to have. Say Rivers grabbed one, Rodgers had two and Brees had two or three. Peyton had more than his 1.5.

The argument can be had. But as it stands, it’s Brady 7, every else near his level of regular season play - 1.

Ben and Eli were good to great in their own right, but even if Ben beat the Packers, would any one really argue he was anywhere near Brady?

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, Brady played in an era with a lot of great QB's. Rivers, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Mahomes. The fact he had so much success despite that is nuts. His Bucs run really put his GOAT case completely over the top.

cval and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Boom, As a Rangers fan I cheer as a JETS fan I jeer. The Ying and Yang of it all... 100% on this.
    side note: Wedding Gelato gets a thumbs up.

REVISion likes this.
  10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Hey, I certainly respect your opinion.

I just can't call him the greatest, for all the reasons I mentioned - and more, BTW!!

I agree about what you said about the AFC East. The division was a real mess most of the time he was in it. He and the Pats were spotted 4 to 5 wins, the division title, and a playoff spot just about every year.

Deflategate never bothered me. I don't think letting some air out of the balls gave him a huge advantage, and I wouldn't be surprised if other people did it too. I was just glad that the League finally did something to enforce any rule with the entitled prick. It was also fun to watch him squirm.

As you said, eff him!

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so if he retiring or not? WTF

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Word is that he is definitely retiring, but he’s annoyed it leaked and he’s also not going to do it until after he gets an upcoming roster bonus due in February.

BrowningNagle, Royal Tee and RPOZ51 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

classic Brady

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO Brady's less the GOAT because of all the wins and more the GOAT because unlike everyone else, he played at an elite level into his mid 40s.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

a. Fuck Tom Brady.

2. I don't think anyone, even miserable pricks like me, is gonna seriously argue his isn't far and away the greatest of this particular era. Longevity, success, stats, name your metric, he's head and shoulders above anyone else.

D. The only possible reason to admire that prick at this point if you're a Jet fan is because his continued success in Tampa makes it clear what everyone always knew who weren't slobnobbing massholes, that the Patriots success had far less to do with BB or anyone/thing else.

Conclusion: I want him to keep playing so somebody can finally put the hospital hit on him that he so obviously deserves but has been able to cheat his way out of.

16. BrowningNagle

that’s what greatest of all time means. Greatest....of all time

brady woulda sucked in the 70s. Honestly, he probably woulda/coulda sucked in the 2000s if he didn’t end up with the right mix at New England. He wouldn’t have elevated the Jets sorry franchise for example

RPOZ51 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

That might factor into your decision. But the ability to play in an era when the game was vastly different isn’t some concrete definition.

18. BrowningNagle

like Shaq for example, he woulda been incredible for any team in any era. Today, the 1970s, it doesn’t matter he woulda been great.

Barry Sanders woulda been a great running back at any era. Probably even better if he played today and certainly better if he played for someone besides the shitty Lions

you can’t say those things about Brady. You just can’t. I think he was the greatest QB of this era but they throw around greatest “of all time” too much

RPOZ51 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s too difficult to try to use that as a criteria, because obviously a human being born in 1921 like Otto Graham, would be conditioned to be much different than someone born in 1977 like Brady was.

Obviously Brady wouldn’t have been offered the roughing the passer protection back then and things like that, but he never would have heard of it, so he would have learned the game differently.

That’s why I don’t really factor in the “needs to have been able to play in the 50s” thing. The slant route didn’t even exist back the. Have you ever seen highlights of Otto Graham? He would’ve been able to thread a slant route in the triangle between a robber safety, corner and outside linebacker?

Maybe. But all the guy threw for the most part for lofted up fly routes and post patterns with a whacky motion. Hard to say he’s a shoe in for being the GOAT if he was born in 1985.

He also didn’t play against many black players and played against 8-12 teams. Every single year Brady made the playoffs, 12 was just the playoff bracket.

20. BrowningNagle

I'm not even citing the 1950s though, you are. The guys I picked out played in the 90s even. If Brady played in that era with John Elway & Dan Marino, do you truly think Brady woulda been better than them?