Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

that is some wild stuff about weights and accum. TYPE....good stuff. Shopping tonight one guy heard me talking and there were huge lines for food and stuff and he says to me...guess you think we are overreacting with this storm huh? I said hell no...this would be a ice warning up north too. Horrible setup for NC/NE SC. Posting a new updated video in an hour....will post it here too.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It’s crazy. Both of our areas should be at or below freezing by 1pm tomorrow. Definitely not typical. I’ve seen very cold at night, even near 10 degrees once or twice. But it always went at least a little above freezing during the day. If this low could just move 30-50 miles east, we would maybe see sleet and snow instead.

jaywayne12 likes this.
  3. jaywayne12

TYPE you hit the nail on the head...its tough to explain to people...counterclockwise rotation around a storm and like you said, 30 to 50 miles off the coast more and yes...sleet and snow. Problem is the front just hits the breaks when it smells the Atlantic ocean...they keep wanting to introduce snow/sleet down here at the very end...so I will be up for that...around 2am sat morning.

Also, the video i am uploading now is crazy...west of I95 for tomorrow morning it wants to just shut down the storm for about 8 hours....almost to the coast...and then you get this back fill in late afternoon and night...crazy set up. But I will say this...a lighter falling precip is a worse case scenario for freezing rain...heavier is better...wash off instead of falling and just freezing on contact...and that will be an issue for many somewhere along route 17 from the va/nc border into sc. Freezing drizzle in my opinion is the worst....anyway....will have a video in about 15 minutes. Will be posting many all day tomorrow so anyone checking it out....SUBSCRIBE ! THANKS !

4. jaywayne12

HAD TO EDIT THIS VIDEO...LOL.
    I cut down the first edition because the first line out of my mouth was.....WHAT THE F*$(. Might have been an issue...this is the correct video.
    Have decided to give the NYC METRO AREA a try with videos for storms up there in the winter...much easier than explaining the JETS....MUCH.
    Ok...Ice Storm Warning for much of N.C. EAST of I95 all the way to S.C.

#16844 jaywayne12, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

8 degrees when I walked out the door this morning. Took 15 minutes for the front windshield to warm up enough that I could get the ice off of it without waking the neighbors.

6. typeOnegative13NY

Thanks for the vids jay! Good stuff.

we’re holding steady at 34 now, with spotty rain. I saw some local reports that said sone drier air is trying to work into the area, maybe knocking down the precip a little. Doesn’t take much ice to be a pain though. My truck mounted carpet cleaning machine cannot freeze. Gonna be 24 tonight, 19 tomorrow night. Usually a portable electric heater does the trick. But if power goes out , I’ll be up all night starting the van every hour. Oh well, done it before. Have a 96 year old man across the street that lives alone, will have to keep an eye on him too. His daughter lives around the corner but she’s worthless.

jaywayne12 likes this.
  7. jaywayne12

Funny how some models picked up the drying out during morning early afternoon...but every model says its about to get bad. Sunset along with temps at freezing by then is the beginning of a real rough night...nice job type keeping an eye on that man bud...really cool. Not shocking when needed...a family member around the corner is useless...keep up the great work...not many people do that stuff anymore.
    Did a much quicker video just now and uploading and will post it....great practice for the real snowstorms !
    Thanks for the kind words sir !

8. jaywayne12

Lastest update on Ice Storm down south.

9. typeOnegative13NY

Powers been out for about an hour. Not much ice yet. Some idiot probably hit a pole. Local Facebook community page had people complaining that everyone’s closed for “a little rain”. Apparently have no idea how freezing rain works

jaywayne12 likes this.
  10. jaywayne12

Lol....And looks like the heaviest precip develops between 10pm and 1am. Snow line is also driving pretty hard to the coast and pretty sure even the beaches will see some flakes flying before it wraps up around 4am.
    All the roads close to me are icy and not a car to be scene....sidewalks are very dangerous and branches are beginning to accumulate so really hoping we do get some sleet or snow.

OK...A BONE FOR THE NORTH.
    Things have been quiet up in the nyc metro area and the pattern has been stubborn and held strong so those that hate the white stuff have been happy....but things look to finally break towards a more snowy pattern and needs to be watched.

FROM THE NWS:
    There are some indications of potential pattern shift next
    weekend with the PNA becoming negative and the AO and NAO
    becoming negative. The latter two often signal a period of
    cold weather and possibly unsettled weather, but of course this
    is a week out.

While they downplay it being a week out...the long range models are showing this shift and this setup usually produces even colder air and systems developing either in the south riding northeast...or in central Canada diving southeast and developing storms off the east coast.

11. typeOnegative13NY

The changeover to sleet happened pretty early. Around 10pm, I could hear it pinging on the skylights. Figured the electric was pretty safe, and I was out. Turned to snow probably for an hour at sometime on the back end. Here it is. I wanted to see some snow. Got just enough to sit on a few leaves. Temp dropped to 26. Just took the dogs for a walk and it’s an icy mess.

[​IMG]

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It was bitter this a.m.! My dog woke me up @ 4:00 a.m. to go out. I really bundled up: hat, longjohn shirt, heavy wool coat (Johnson Woolen Mills - I've had it forever), nhoodie, gloves, had my face covered with a scarf and I still froze my ass off. My dog has a good quilted dog coat because he has short hair and he was shivering by the time we got back. Brrrrr!

I think we all got a little spoiled because it was so unseasonably warm and then it turned on a dime. It's gonna be -9 this coming Thurs morning (but that could change).

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sweet looking woods. Is that a pond back there?

14. typeOnegative13NY

Yup, that is the view from my backyard. That pond belongs to the community behind us. And this one is ours , right view from my backyard. And my neighbors shitty fence

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Also, the pickup drivers down there probably have no idea how unstable their vehicle is on an icy road.

In Connecticut you know not to be behind somebody driving a pickup truck in that type of sleet, they're like a spin out waiting to happen.

16. typeOnegative13NY

100%. They have no idea 4wd doesn’t mean anything in ice.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All eyes on the weekend for the tri state. Could be significant.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Say more FJF. Tv guys picked it up this morning. What are we looking at?

@jaywayne12 - Bat signal bat signal

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For me in Bergen County (Fair Lawn, NJ) the early predictions are 3-5 inches of snow Friday night and 3-5 more on Saturday so 6-10 if this is true.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Weather.com says 1-3 inches on Friday and 1-3 inches on Saturday. Seems manageable. Hopefully the predictions don't go up.