Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Me personally, I say that his rookie year was mostly very, very impressive and dominant. Almost led him to the pro-bowl as a rookie. He does have his red flags though as he has had some injuries crop up and likely a weight issue.

What say you? Are you in, out, or somewhere inbetween?

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We have two years to go on. First year was good but had several nagging injuries that cost him game time. Second year was missed entirely due to an injury that by all accounts would only have cost most nfl players half a season.

to me, it’s pretty clear that we CAN’T rely on him to stay healthy all year. Add to that potential chronic weight issues and the poor performance in training camp while learning a new offensive scheme, and I’m concerned.

I think we should absolutely bring both Fant and Moses back, and then when/if Becton comes back, I’d probably try him at RT and leave Fant at LT

by the way, I’m also super concerned about Lawson as well…another player with a bit of an injury history who, shocker, got hurt again. I would not count on him returning to his former explosiveness either, and consider it a bonus if he does come back.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just depends what you mean by TRUST. They need to believe and plan on him being the starting Left Tackle for 2022. At the same time, they need to have solid depth and back-up options on the offensive line. Protecting Zach Wilson should be the Jets' #1 priority. Becton clearly helps in doing that, but he can't be counted on 100%. I think Joe Douglas will handle the situation properly.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As long as we have Fant, all we need is a swing tackle that can back up both positions or start if Becton goes down.

If we don't want to rely on Edoga we need to find a Morgan Moses type.

Royal Tee and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I trust him to ask for seconds... :confused:

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Oh man! This guy is 400 pounds going on 500! He's never said no to a meal in his life! This fat fuck should just quit football and become a professional eater.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Why find a Morgan Moses type when he's already in the building?

I believe he 4th pick will be an OT anyways; hopefully Evan Neal

NCJetsfan and Leicester Jet like this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is why I can't understand the obsession that some have with drafting a replacement already. Sure, sign a guy who can backup at RT. Sure draft a developmental guy. Draft or sign a RG, or draft Linderbaum if they wish and then move McGovern to RG alternatively. Do the Jets really need to spend more OL resources than that this off season?

Those need to be the priorities. Areas where real improvement can made. Getting a replacement for a guy who might well come back and progress from what was a very solid rookie year still with other, more glaring, holes doesn't seem a good use of resources at all.

Jets79, gajetsfan, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I tend to trust people until they conclusively prove to me that they can't be trusted. Everyone makes mistakes, especially young people. I think they should plan on his being the starting LT and Fant at RT, but they should have a solid backup plan in place. Re-sign Moses, sign a better backup than Edoga or McDermott in FA in case both Becton and Fant get hurt again. I wouldn't be opposed to their drafting Neal or Ekwonu starting him at RG in 2022, then in 2023 when both Moses' and Fant's contracts are up, move him to RT. Then maybe they can re-sign Fant for depth, or if Becton struggles with injuries or doesn't play well in 2022, extend Fant and make him the LT for 2023.

What really amuses me is that on Jets' Twitter after seeing all the ranting and raving about Becton's weight and condictioning issues, I see posters wanting the Jets to draft either Darian Kinnard (345 lbs) or Daniel Faalele who weighs 380 lbs. I just don't see that happening after the issues for Becton. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they should draft a replacement already, but I think a strong case can be made for drafting a starting caliber OT. The reason is that if they re-sign Moses, it will probably only be a one-year deal. Fant's contract expires at the end of the 2022 season. Fant may not want to re-sign with the Jets for future seasons if he's stuck at RT. He might want the opportunity to go start as an LT somewhere and make more money. His play could also fall off a cliff or he could get seriously injured in the 2022 season. I think the idea would be to draft someone like Neal or Ekwonu, start them at RG in 2022, and then move them to RT in 2023. If Becton struggles or gets re-injured, then Fant slides back to the left side and Moses plays RT in 2022. It not only gives us solid insurance in case Becton struggles or gets injured and misses a lot of time, but if Becton stays healthy and plays at a high level, having drafted that OT could provide us with a long-term bookend tackle to go with Becton and we don't have to worry about that in 2023. It's easier to find a good OG than a good OT.

I think the idea of drafting McGovern's replacement makes sense as well, but not taking both McGovern's replacement at C and starting caliber OT. Drafting replacements and grooming them for a year makes sense once we have our team built, but not this season when we're still trying to fill holes.

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

impossible to say. But if he is healthy ( hope he is) he absolutely needs to play RT where I think he will make pro bowl every year. Fant was great at LT....why on earth would I move him?

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we use the fourth overall pick on a tackle not named Evan Neal our rebuild is screwed.

13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Do I trust Him? No.
    Do I hope he fulfills his potential? Of course.

IMO without ever meeting the guy.

He's a young kid called the big ticket with a pocket full of money. Life's good.
    His Social media posts on Instagram seem very self confident.

He's got a kid on the way and might grow up a bit quicker and work harder. He worked his absolute tail off to get drafted, but i suppose being given 10-15 million straight up can change anyone.

Just want to see the guy be talked about as an absolute dominant force at LT.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Already lots of folks saying Becton needs to play RT. This isn't MADDEN. Becton looked pretty bad at RT in his college film. I watched all his film (and all the film on Andrew Thomas, Wirfs, and Isaiah Wilson) before the 2020 draft. MB was far better on the left side as a college player, why do you think he can suddenly play on the right as a pro? Just because Fant can look alright on either side doesn't mean everyone can.

I say give him the inside track to show he can stay on the field, where he has the potential to be a HOF type player, and if he can't stay off the injury list trade him for whatever you can get. Somebody will take a chance on him.

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

THIS

Noam and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We’re in quite a conundrum because Fant didn’t exactly inspire confidence on the right side either.

REVISion and b.reyes16 like this.
  17. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

The lack of trust is really driven by health concerns. Any qualms that have to do with his play have no basis in reality. He was lights out in year 1 and should only get better.

You know the saying though: "Your best ability is availability." He's gotta get healthy and stay healthy.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I've been very outspoken on this subject and even had an argument with him directly on Twitter. He seems to take the weight issue personally which is a good thing. I read somewhere (Maybe here on TGG.com) that he has begun working with a dietician. I hope this is the case and he proves me wrong and shuts my pie hole once and for all. I want nothing more than for him to come in with the proper mindset and conditioning on his body to be a real NFL OT. Zack needs him too.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is a little suspect also. In camp this year he was getting schooled by speed rushers indicating that his lateral speed was being exposed. If this turns out to be true it makes him a liability on both edges. Or maybe he was just to out of shape in camp?

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

McGovern was trash at RG, idk why people keep pushing this. Agree whole heartedly with the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.