Zach Wilson’s NFL-leading mark in key stat sends a clear message to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jan 16, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

A lot of this drops were drive killers that greatly affected Zach's overall numbers.

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Early in the season it was more on Zach when he was scattershot arming five yard throws. Late in the season it was all on the receivers.

b.reyes16 and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This thread is literally about a component of PFF grades.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Somebody watches the games and gives level headed responses. Nice to see!

That is exactly what I was going to say. This is a stat that should be strongly improved in 2022.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If people leave because they can't stand others saying Zach played poorly (an objective fact) then they are overly sensitive idiots.

I see plenty of reasonable takes about Zach here. The only unreasonable ones are from people acting like he played totally fine and there's no reason for concern.

The extremely negative Zach takes are more rooted in reality than the glowingly positive ones.

NYJFOREVER, Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I don't think that would be it (people leaving because he was criticized.) It's the constant berating of the guy that will wear thin on most people.

But let the chips falls where they may fall. Maybe people like reading the same old stance over and again.

It's pretty much a given that if you post a positive take of Zach Wilson you will be immediately countered by @Br4d @ouchy BrowningNagle, etc.

cval, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe my memory is faulty, but that's not what I remember. Early in the season (the first 3-4 games), there wasn't much of a problem with Zach's accuracy. He was throwing a lot of dimes then. The drops started early. It wasn't until around the 4th-7th game of the season) when Zach's accuracy started missing. Davis didn't play the last half of the season. All of his drops came early. I think Moore's did as well.

#27 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first 2 games he was accurate, but the OL sucked and his receivers couldn't get open or they dropped the ball. After that he started showing a lack of confidence and that quickly snowballed. By the time he came back the OL had settled down, LaFleur had moved to the press box and was doing better calling plays, and the receivers and RBs were working well...for a couple of games.

9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I like Wilson and want him to succeed.

However, I think those drop rate stats are also a fair indication that the QB is Messing up.

The top 5 lists for this year and last year as mentioned in the OP is like a who's who list of QBs that people don't really want.

Therefore, it shows to me that the QB needs to be throwing more catchable balls and better touch.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

twown, REVISion and Br4d like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did you watch the video? Every single one of those balls not only could have been caught, but should have been caught. I may be mistaken, but I don't think a single one of the dropped passes was due to a bad pass/poor accuracy. The incompletions and some of the interceptions were, but I don't think the dropped passes were.

11. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

JD needs to examine every potential receiver he signs to see what their drop rates are.....

12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Watching the Bills yesterday I couldn't help but notice the catching done by their receivers. Now, Wilson is in no way Allen, but Allen's receivers were making catches that were off target. Not every pass by Allen was on the money, but the receivers were catching passes that were over their heads, behind them or way ahead of them.

The Jets need a couple of receivers that can do that.

#32 NY Jets68, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It depends on what goes in the books as a drop.

If a receiver gets a hand on it, is it a drop? Cause there were plenty of times they were having to jump, dive and/or dig routine throws out of the dirt, I think its unfair to categorize that as a drop for the receiver

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Not only an accuracy issue, but touch as well, or a combo. Some of those dropped passes were thrown too hard for the route.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not like all of the ones on the Nania should’ve been dropped, but most of those were extremely difficult catches with defenders draped all over them or as you alluded to - the receiver needing to contort their bodies to catch them.

Our receivers need to be better, but a lot of the spin in it being all the receivers faults is just wrong.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's also weird to look at it in percentages like PFF is as well. I mean their fault or not, the Jets receivers are only credited with 34 drops all year. Everyone's favorite efficient offense in Buffalo had 36 drops. Look it up

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think they just meant pre-injury and post-injury. At least that is how I took it. Hard to generalize a full season. Davis definitely had some bad drops. Didn't Ty Johnson have like 3 in a row one game? Awful. That can't happen in 2022 if the Jets want to turn a corner.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I recall a pre-draft vid making the rounds by someone who thought ZW is terrible and has accuracy issues. There were plenty of examples in his vid. I believe he said whichever GM drafts Z will get fired because of it.

But as a forum we decided to listen to Chris Simms who said Z was the best QB in the draft and ignore others who threw cold water on his abilities.

Still early in his career and he had a few WOW moments to give us hope. Plus him and Rogers were the only QBs to go int free over the last 5 games, which is huge. I'm glad we threw him into the fire early vs sitting him for a season. This alone will make his first offseason 10x more focused, as he knows firsthand what he's up against and he knows exactly what calls and throws he struggled with and what he needs to improve upon.

Of all the QBs drafted in '21, I think Zack Wilson will have the best improvement in '22.