Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maybe you should watch the tape and judge for yourself

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I get around to it I will, but Safety is still not a priority position IMO.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

It’s certainly not a priority position but if we can’t trade out of 4 get ready to welcome him to the Jets.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The NFL is a passing league, not a rushing league, so having a ballhawk safety is 10x more important than having a one-dimensional run stopper. Sorry, but that's just a fact. But beyond that, Hamilton is also very good against the run. May I be so bold as to suggest that you go and watch some video of Hamilton? You may still not change your mind, but at least you'd know more about him and what he could bring to the table. Adams is not in the same class as Hamilton as a S.

Still, I understand your not wanting a S that early. As I told Colorado, I prefer taking an Edge or maybe OL or trading down, but right now if Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, and Neal are all gone by our pick at #4, and JD couldn't find a trade partner to move down, I'd take Hamilton before I'd reach for Karlaftis, a WR or OL. That could change as I watch more video of the other top-rated prospects.

tomdeb and ouchy like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I don't go just by ratings. As I said, initially I was dead set against even considering Hamilton, but that was before I saw him play. That opened my eyes and my mind. We could do a LOT worse than taking Hamilton in this draft.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not advocating for or against taking Hamilton, but I’d venture to guess we had the worst safety play in the league this past year.

I think we can fix the position without using a first round pick, but I’d hope it’s a priority position.

tomdeb likes this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Didn’t even notice Minkah last night. Safety is a pure luxury. Really don’t impact the game. All they can impact is not blowing a play.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Troy Polamalu's hair does not approve this message

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

We are currently looking for 2 who can do that

FJF likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I used the word "priority" I meant it in the sense of using a top 15 pick on it. I agree that we absolutely need to improve the Safety position, but I think that can be done in FA or a later round. When I look at the "priority" holes the Jets need to fill I see:

- Edge
    - OL
    - WR

After those I'd list:

- LB
    - DT
    - CB
    - Safety

And no I didn't make either list in order of priority or preference, just that these need to be filled with studs somehow. The second list may not get studs this year, but they definitely need upgrades for next year.

11. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

People severely overestimate the number of safeties that can:

(1) Play ballhawk deep safety
    (2) Cover WR/TE in the slot
    (3) Blow up screens
    (4) Provide + run support

Each one of those aspects is something that has been a conspicuous weakness in our defense, and Hamilton is elite in each. I would have no bones about taking him in the top 5 unless the staff doesn't think they can maximize a player like Hamilton in the scheme, which would be more an indictment on the staff than anything.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Isn't it kind of a good thing if you don't notice a safety? Means they're not giving up any big plays which is a primary role for them.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good safetys create turnovers. Turnovers are a big part of winning games. People are really short selling the value of a good safety.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not about devaluing a safety as much as it is being easier to fill the void with free agents than most other positions.

We must improve both spots. I go back and forth on it though because I love Hamilton’s outlook.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't agree with a Hamilton selection. Safeties are cheap in free agency. Edge rushers, tackles, corners are not. And this draft will have several good players at those 3 positions available in the top 10.

(1) and (2) on your list could be addressed in house. The Jets already have a good slot cover man in Carter and they do technically already have the deep safety in Marcus Maye.

-Pay Maye, put him back to his natural position as the "centerfielder" type safety, how he played prior to trading Adams.
    -Find an aggressive "in the box" type strong safety in free agency or via trade. Like Buffalo finds Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer, that's what you do, mid-level allocation of resources so you can use your draft picks on the cornerstone spots

tomdeb likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Are you saying Hamilton is better than Adams? Not doubting you, but if that is true then the jets REALLY fleeced Seattle!

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We had one, the only thing he could not do was be a ball hawk. How did that work out for Jets?

He was traded away because he was on a losing team and became disgruntled. No one is discounting the safety position, but the Jets are also missing two LB, edge rusher, WR, OL, TE.

If JD takes him at 4, he better not trade down from 10, he needs the tenth pick to pick up another stud player.

Maybe David Ojabo or Karlifis, or a top tier WR.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, definitely! Adams is a one-dimensional run stuffer. He can also rush the passer. Hamilton excels both in coverage and vs the run, and is a ballhawk to boot!

tomdeb likes this.
  19. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Hamilton is absolutely a better prospect coming out than Adams. Adams was average as a deep safety and has bricks for hands. Rangy deep safeties with ball skills are pretty rare.

"We had one, the only thing he could not do was be a ball hawk. How did that work out for Jets?"

Well that's a pretty big "Can't do" for a safety, and in fact it worked out pretty well. The revisionist history on Adams has gotten absurd, he's easily the best player that went in the top 9 picks that year not named Myles Garrett who went #1 overall, a 2x all pro, and that trade is the major building block for the future of this team. Even still Hamilton is a better prospect with a more valuable, less replaceable skill set than Adams ever had.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Davis a bad tackler.