Joe Douglas needs to go get WEAPONS for Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 16, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The Bills acquired Diggs, the Cardinals acquired Hopkins, the Bucs added the guy who takes his clothes off mid-game. Even the best and most successful QB's need elite weapons to thrive.

All I want is a balanced approach. Give me some vets and rookies to help get the most out of the QB.

What weapons do YOU think Joe Douglas should add to this offense?

AJW, dawinner127, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Tank RB and a deep threat WR to keep defenses honest. Time to go back to the future and start playing smashmouth until Zach gets the hang of being a QB in the NFL.

3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I love this. I would take a WR at #10 and a RB at #69

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, and Michael Carter are solid weapons, but I agree: Zach needs more.

2 Tight Ends would be nice. Sign one in Free Agency and Draft one in the first 2 rounds, preferably Round 2.

Drafting a WR in Round 1 sounds risky, but if they can be anything like Chase or Lamb, or Jefferson etc. it is clearly worth it for a young QB. If the Jets sign or trade for a WR1 that could work too.

Then you have WR1, Corey Davis, Elijah Moore in the slot some plays (he can move around) and Berrios. All legit weapons for Zach on the field at the same time.

The Right Guard position needs to be upgraded more than RB in my opinion. Move Fant to RT, you have Becton, AVT, McGovern, new RG and Fant. That is a strong O-line to protect Zach.

Then add one more RB. A Tank RB like @Cman65 said or at least someone to compliment Carter.

If all that happens (and it is more than doable) then the Jets should have a really impressive offense in 2022.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm still in the process of evaluating draft prospects, but at this point in time, my ideal would be as follows.

At TE, sign Schultz and draft McBride.

At WR draft Treylon Burks and sign Allen Lazard

At RB draft one of Tyler Allgeier, Tyler Badie, Kyren Williams and Dameon Pierce, re-sign Coleman, tell Ty Johnson to work on his blocking and receiving and that if he has a repeat of last season, it will be his last as a Jet

FB - Sign Patrick Ricard (Ravens) in FA or if there's a good one in the draft, sign him as a UDFA

NYJFOREVER and Noam like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

You guys need to forget about your "tank" RB. That is not the type of RB they want in this scheme. We need a FB to block, receive and occasionally run the ball in short yardage situations, but the Jets won't be signing or drafting any "tank" RBs.

Noam likes this.
  7. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

IMHO, it all starts up front with the offensive Line. Any quality playoff team has a solid if not superior OL. Give any QB time to read through his progressions and he will ultimately be able to find someone breaking open if he is worth anything. We've also seen Zach's running ability as well. A stout OL providing a solid running game also opens up the passing game, as well as play action. I am down for a stud WR in round 1 but with #4, go OT or stud pass rusher if one is still on the board then at 10 OL. Linderbaum looks good at 10 if he is still there. I would not be upset if they went OT and C in round 1, especially with Mr. Golden Corral's health always an issue. You can find plenty of speed and offensive weapons in R 2-4. Just about the only thing that would make me go berserk is pulling a Mac and drafting another diva CB or S (that you could not afford to re-sign) at 4 & 10, and ignoring the O and pass rush needs.

PJ4Ever, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. They need a RB that can get to the edge and unlike Ty Johnson can pass block.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking about a true Fullback. I just don't know if there are any in free agency or the draft. Not a position that is talked about much these days, but it actually is an important piece in this system.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I don't keep up with FBs, either. I looked up FBs on Spotrac FA and Patrick Ricard is the top-rated FA FB. He played for the Ravens and played 555 snaps this past season, so he must be pretty good. I also figure that there has to be someone coming out of college who would be a very good FB. Between Ricard and the draft, the Jets have to be able to come up with someone better than Wesco, or the guy they have on the PS.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Don't know if you mean 1950's type FB or modern day--if modern this kid #48 looks great! Why do we need another?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm convinced Wilson is a WR who can hit the ground running in year 1 and provide a Jefferson/Chase type impact. The question is will he be available at 10.

As for vets, it's risky. Ridley has the upside to be a go to weapon, but are his off field issues behind him? Adams is a top 5 WR, but does he want to leave Green Bay if Rodgers stays? And Thomas didn't play at all last year. Do we want to add someone who's missed an entire season after what happened with Bell?

Sign a TE who can contribute in 2022 while drafting on on day 2 to develop into a starter.

Draft a RB to complement Carter.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I agree you need a RB who can get the tough short yardage, it doesn't have a FB in the classic sense. In today's pass-oriented game, a damn good TE who can make the tough contested catches is more valuable. With Brady and Gronk, who was the FB?

JD needs to add a true #1 stud WR out of the draft, and a stud TE either from FA or the draft.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Talking about Brady and Gronk in comparison with the Jets is apples and oranges. They're not the same offenses. We definitely need excellent TEs.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What Brady and Gronk did/do is independent of offensive scheme.

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Garrett Wilson in the first please

REVISion and PennyandtheJets like this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

Power back is a sneaky big need for this team. We need to add some physicality to our offense. We really, really lacked that.

18. PennyandtheJets

If Free Agency/Trade Market is unkind to the Jets, this is also my preference.

KingRoach and FJF like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You do your dd on Adams, Ridley amd Thomas and if everything checks out in one of them you bring him here, move heaven and earth.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Sorry for repeating myself but build a solid OL ... We will probably need and RG and C and if Fant can not come back do we want to put all our eggs in the becton and Edg baskets... I don't. You want to run the ball, get physical OL that can dictate the tempo of the game and you'll win. Same for DL...

ouchy and papapump like this.