Build it like the Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bengals went from worst to first in a hurry. How did they turn it around so quick? Elite QB selection first overall and went for the best player on the board in Jamar Chase to support the young QB. They sprinkled in a few vets in free agency and hit on a few other draft picks as solid starters in Higgins, Mixon and Diablo.

Here’s my point when your rebuilding through the draft you need to take the best player on the board in a position of need along with high picks on positions that impact the game. Taking positions that can be addressed in free agency or in the later rounds. All the pundits suggested taking Sewell instead of Chase to “protect” Burrow.. If they did that they wouldn’t be in the playoffs 100% guaranteed.

Enough drafting OL/DT/S/TE in the first 2 rounds. We need stars in the positions that make the difference on the field. Focus on drafting the best player available at WR/RB/Edge/LB/CB.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m thoroughly in on adding offensive weapons as early and often as possible in the draft.

Ralebird, NYJFOREVER, Rockinz and 5 others like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The problem is the Bengals have a elite QB prospect, who put up impressive numbers, we don't, ours put up practice squad numbers

#3 Jets69, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd like to draft a WR in the 1st. Love how it's worked out for the Bengals going Chase over Sewell. But it's really the QB IMO. If Zach Wilson takes a big step forward so will this team. And if he doesn't then they're going nowhere

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If the Bills, Cardinals and Bengals aren’t enough to convince people that in 2022 you build from the outside in (while still paying attention to the inside), I don’t know what will be.

#5 BroadwayAaron, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Why not just say build it like the Cheifs or something. The Bengals are more talented than we are at every position on offense. Well maybe AVT and Moore could match Andrews and Boyd. So we just need to upgrade 9 positions on our offense. They got 6 starters last draft and 11 over the last 2 drafts. (And I don't mean starters that are only starters because their roster was so bad)

It has nothing specifically to do with WR. We've gone WR two drafts in a row. The Bengals are better because they have drafted a much better roster than JD.

Bellys Lies, SOJAZ, twown and 2 others like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anybody besides me hopes JD drafts a Tank RB this upcoming year? No knock on Carter but we need someone that's gonna wear the DL down to the point that Carter can penetrate or the D doesn't have enough left in the tank to harass Zach. We need to get bigger both in the backfield and at WR. The OL is big by definition so that's a given. Teams with tanks like the Titans and the Packers always seem to win games late by simply playing old school smashmouth. Until Zach gets the hang of the NFL, smashmouth might be the way to go for now.. Assuming one day we're actually playing with a lead late in a game..

#7 Cman68, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Giants tried the Bengals’ way by loading up on WRs, RBs, and TEs with an below average o-line and it hasn’t worked out because Jones isn’t in the same stratosphere as Burrow. This style of rebuilding can go either way

M00ndawg, twown, Lon Chaney and 5 others like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A few days ago I had a thread partially typed up called "Build Back Better"...

The thread was all about how one would structure the NY Jets in player types and offensive/defensive philosophy and scheme.

I never finished typing up the thing... but this thread is just as good.

10. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Go Defense. Zach isn’t Burrow so it’s a mute point. Prisoner of the moment.

He can throw a nice sidearm, but he doesn’t have natural field vision like Burrow. Burrow is special. Zach is overhyped.

I might be wrong, but Zach aint it. The backups throwing 300+ yds when he was out proved that. You need to put up numbers regardless. Zach hasn’t proved he can at all.

11. BrooklynJetsFan

Allen and Murray are true dual threat QBs. Zach can’t beat you with his legs or stiff arm. Both of them have elements you can’t teach that makes them compete with elite NFL players.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  12. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that TE is definitely an impact position in the offense we are trying to run & I really hope we double dip there with a free agent and one of the 2nd rounders.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'm very hopeful that we can use one of our day 3 picks on a tank RB as well. MC is a very good RB and giving that 2nd punch will get that one-two punch

Cman68 likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I hadn’t heard the Bengals were in need of a WR sans depth.

I had always assumed the fact that he and Burrow had a pre existing record holding connection is why they drafted Chase.

To clarify, you’re suggesting a good team is built by drafting smart and signing quality FA? I support that comment.

Drafting a RB in the 1st 2 rounds? I can’t support that comment.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

An Asskicking.. this is..

16. KingRoach

In the last 3 drafts, the Bengals had 6 picks in the first 2 rounds. 2 of those 33% were OL

The Bills had 5 picks. 1 OL 20%

If I include 3rd round picks -still considered premium to many- those numbers go up.

It looks like the Bengals -who had the quickest turnaround- have invested the most in their OL.

The above facts may be why more people aren’t convinced about building from the outside in.

ouchy, Acad23, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  17. KingRoach

I’ll take that mute point and put it my chester drawers over they’re and keep it for a reigny day

nycarl, jago, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  18. KingRoach

Yes, Zach runs as bad as Brady. You can’t teach someone how to run.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.

So many people fall into the "build through the trenches" mindset because it was the best way to win 20+ years ago. I don't think that's the case anymore. The rules of the game have changed and what you need to win now is a good QB and weapons that can do damage in space once they get the ball. Those two things are by far the biggest common denominator among the consistently good teams in the league.

20. BrooklynJetsFan

Nice run against the Jaguars lol. How many he dodged against the Bills? You know a real NFL defense. :)

8 sacks incase you want to check.