Nakobe Dean

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 10, 2022.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It depends on what FA brings but if the draft brought the Jets two LBs, an EDGE to play opposite Lawson, and a safety it would do this defense wonders.

KingRoach likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

As a UGA fan I'm curious if @Sundayjack has any thoughts on this.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s a huge gap but I think both are gone by 20-25. Lloyd can put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer and played all over the Utah defense. Dean is a straight up off the ball linebacker. Not to say Lloyd can’t play that position well.

I think Lloyd has a higher ceiling and Dean has a higher floor. Both should be excellent players IMO. I just like the intangible aspect of Dean leading one of the best defenses of all time and think he can help to change the culture of this defense. Both had the benefit of playing in front of excellent defensive fronts.

Sundayjack likes this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Dean at 10 is really tempting

b.reyes16 and Sundayjack like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely think that he is a player that merits strong consideration. I'd love to add him to our D. I agree with Sundayjack, that both #4 and #10 are too high to take him, however. Hopefully, JD will be able to trade down from #10 add an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick at a minimum, and then be able to take Dean.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m probably the wrong guy to ask. For starters, you won’t find a more biased fan. But I’ve also watched only two full Utah games this year - the first Oregon game and the Rose Bowl. Blame the East Coast-Pac12 bias. So, it you’re looking for Lloyd superlatives based on that limited sample, you won’t get any here. Dude didn’t really stick out to me at all. Especially in a Rose Bowl where both teams left their defenses home. On the other hand, I’ve watched every snap Nakobe Dean ever played more than once - that kid doesn’t take plays off. Ever. Plus, watch his highlights and check his stats in UGA’s biggest games.

But, it’d be pretty unfair to trash a different player who I haven’t seen nearly as much. My take? Assuming Devin Lloyd and Nakobe Dean are everything we think they are talent-wise, this strikes me as Jonathan Vilma vs. Dont’a Hightower. Kinda depends on what defense you’re playing

Last point on Nakobe Dean - it’s kind of important to put him in context with his recruiting class and the players around him. Nakobe was recruited the same year as Nolan Smith, when Smith was the #1 national recruit - a generational talent. Add to that - UGA has been stacking up 5-stars on defense these last few years. It’s not unimportant that Nakobe Dean became the leader on an NFL defense. Meaning: if you go through Georgia’s starting defense, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a player who won’t be drafted, and they all looked to Nakobe Dean as their leader. That says something.

Just my take. Such as it is.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, I agree. Just to clarify - I said somewhere that that #10 was “probably” too high for Nakobe Dean. That’s not entirely accurate. The full story is - I would definitely take Nakobe at #10. It’s just that I know that there are enough dumbasses in the NFL over-valuing needs over talent, and I have no doubt you could pull more value out of that #10 slot.

I know you get that, JFPA. Just wanted to explain away the inconsistency with my other Nakobe Dean thoughts.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Dean seems like a perfect fit for this defense. Maybe at 10?

JetFanInPA likes this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Agree, if we could trade #10 and draft Dean perhaps later if available. We need more top 40 picks

10. NCJetsfan

No, I'm all for taking a WR at #10 or after a trade down. I like the PSU LB whose last name is Smith. He excels in coverage and the Jets can probably/possibly get him in the 2nd round.

I love Dean and would love to add him, but Zach's development should come first imo.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I love that WR from Arky. Burks….lawd him Moore, and Corey with a TE…that’s money.

Big PSU fan, I have questions about Smith’s overall tackling ability. He missed quite a few trying to go for the big hits. If he can clean that up, he’d be a great get. Obviously concerned because this team was a bad tackling team as is this past season….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I definitely want Burks and Schultz. As you said those two along with Moore, Davis, and MC and we should have an offense that will keep opposing DCs up nights.

Yeah, I read that Smith needs to work on his tackling technique. As long as he's willing to work to get better, then I think he could be a good, if not great add to our LB corps. I'd hate to miss out on Dean or the kid from Utah, but if we can get Burks and a TE, it'll be worth it. We can outscore opponents.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I also don’t think Smith goes in the 2nd but who knows

14. NCJetsfan

You think he'll go in the 1st, or do you think he drops to the 3rd?

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

3rd probably. It’s a healthy LB class with Dean and Lloyd, at the top, and a bunch of other guys in 2nd round contention, including both Alabama backers. Maybe he could get there based on traits but I’m guessing not this year.

16. NCJetsfan

If the Jets can wait and take him in the 3rd, that's even better. That would allow them to use their 4 earlier picks on Edge, WR, OL, and TE or S.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I didn’t key in on him too much, but every time I read something about Smith it’s somewhat negative. You confirmed this.

It might just be that he’s not a top end prospect though? Does he have skills? I don’t want guy who can’t tackle. It doesn’t get easier to get better at that in the pros with limited hitting in camp and weekday practices.

18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

We need high character culture changers. We have issues on offense that no one is hiding from, but if we take this guy and Hamilton/Sauce/Stingley/Thib/Hutchinson, can anyone be upset? Especially if we lean offense rest of draft. I have a feeling JD is going to be taking our cap and focusing heavily on offense anyway.

There's only a few offensive players worth a top 10 pick this year and we really can't afford to reach for someone who doesn't pan out. More open to a WR if we trade down though

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

How many new starters do we need?

How many do you think we get in free agency?

20. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Last year, the Jets used their top 4 picks on Zach, AVT, Elijah Moore, and Michael Carter. The value of Zach, Moore, and MC is being held back by a porous OL. Transforming the worst parts on our OL from "awful" to "great" would significantly improve the production out of Zach, Moore, and MC even before we take into account any progress from their 1st to 2nd years.

I agree that the Jets need talent upgrades at many positions on both sides of the ball. I understand the desire for edge rushers, safeties, star LBs, etc. However, investing the top picks this year in offensive linemen not only upgrades those positions, it significantly increases the value of the top rookies we drafted last year. It's kind of like when you significantly remodel the ugliest home on a street, all the other homes on that street will be worth more. If you also happen to own several of those other homes, upgrading the ugly home gets you twice the bang for your buck.

If I had a vote (and I don't), I'd go all offense with the first three picks. I would use both of our top two picks on Linderbaum and either Evan Neal or Edwonu. In the second round, I would start with the best WR still available. Then I would use our remaining picks on defense, except that I would like to pick up Tyler Allgeier to complement MC. I'm not sure where Allgeier will go, but maybe we can trade the #69 spot down ten or fifteen and pick him up in the 80s.

Red Menace likes this.