Would you be OK if Johnsons issued a Play Off Mandate to Joe D (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Olay with a Playoff mandate or no?

1. I am OK with a Playoff Mandate to Joe D

20.8%
  2. I am NOT OK with a Playoff Mandate to Joe D

69.8%
  3. Undecided

9.4%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Honestly, on this one, I can't make up my mind.

You guys know I am a season ticket holder. Good thing I didn't pay any PSL's and my seats are upper deck so I don't pay much. Regardless, going to Jets games 6-7 Sunday's a year is one of my biggest pleasures in life. Tailgate butterflies run thru my stomach the night before. I wake up with great energy Sunday mornings and head to Metlife with joy. Each time I see Jets on the field is something magical for me.

I am a sucker for some and I agree. I am a sucker. I am stupid to invest my money and time to Jets but it is what it is. Now that we clarified my stupidity let's get to the question at hand.

As a STH I want to renew my season tickets but not ready for another 3-14 or 4-13 type of season. Not ready to start October with a 1-3 record or a 0-4 record. Not ready to be out of it by Halloween.

So, this being Joe's 3rd year in charge, having all that draft capital and cash, not having rookie Coaching staff anymore, is it time for Woody to issue a mandate?

Like I said, I personally can't decide. What do you guys think?

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm going to say no solely because I don't know if this team will be able to make enough moves this offseason to make themselves a surefire lock for the playoffs.

I will say that my expectation is they have to be competing for a wild card spot come week 16/17/18.

Compete or fuck off.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I would vote yes if Joe D offered a mandate of sack the owners if we don't make the play-offs.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In the 20 some odd years The Johnsons have owned this trainwreck, they have NEVER demanded anything from the Jets so why even bother at this point? It would be a tough sell that the Johnsons would do anything dramatic even if their mandate was not met as they will always have an excuse why the Jets didn't win. All you'll get out of them is hollow platitudes and the classic "believe in the process" speech we've heard over the decades.

The closest Woody will ever come to being a Owner with demands will be the day when he ditches that stupid fckn cap he wears along with the circus green outfit he thinks he's reppin looking like a drunk leprechaun. Maybe even show up at a press conference for once angry. Nah... not a chance in hell..

Until that happens and Woody actually shows he has a pulse and a pair of balls, ultimatums from him would land like rose petals.

So my short answer is... Sure.. Why not?? I could use a good laugh these days... Besides, does anyone actually take Woody Johnson seriously???

#4 Cman68, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    papapump likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What if they go 10-7, but miss out because of tie breakers? This is why I don't believe this is black and white. There should be a mandate for material improvement. Having the season be over before Halloween year after year should not acceptable for ownership.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think I'd be OK with a "we must be in the hunt in December" mandate but not a "we must make the playoffs" mandate.

7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

"mandate" or no. it shouldnt be known publicly.
    not the way to run ur bidness. imho.

8. NYJFOREVER

JD already set this expectation for himself and the CS.

The season can't be over in October.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If the mandate is within 2 years than sure.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We didn't even make Columbus Day..

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

In reality, did they even make it to the end of September

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We need to be competitive in most games and we need to win our fair share.

The defense has absolutely blown chunks for two years in a row. That needs to stop.

The QB play has been poor for two years in a row. That needs to stop.

The Jets need to look like an NFL team next year instead of the laughingstock they've been for most of the last decade.

Playoff mandates are for talented teams that are under-achieving. That's not the Jets coming out of 2021.

What we want to get to next year is the status where a playoff mandate for 2023 will be justified. Anything less than that is a case for regime change (again.)

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

No (for next year I'm assuming) - focus on building the team right. I'd worry this could lead to shortsighted free agent signings and roster moves

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No guys. Not in 2 years. Not a "be competitive in December" mandate.

Jets are the last team who made the playoffs. Look at this picture please and think again.

15. Br4d

Mandates that are not fulfillable are counter-productive.

The Jets will not make the playoffs in 2022 without the luckiest possible combination of events. They're just not that good and the deficiencies are across almost all units on the team.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They don’t have to issue direct playoff mandates. Do any owners do that?

What they do need to is make it known that losing is not acceptable and they expect the Jets to be transformed into a world class organization.

The issue with a playoff mandate is if you go 9-8 and lose a couple tough games along the way to miss the playoffs, you have to clean house or you’ll never be taken seriously again.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Br4d

I think the bigger issue is that the Jets aren't capable of playing at the level it takes to make the playoffs in most seasons in the NFL.

If the Johnsons are seriously thinking about a playoff mandate (which I doubt) they probably should clean house instead. There's a much better chance that a new GM/HC combo would get us to the playoffs next year than the current incumbents. It's a small chance anyway but the current brain trust are reeling and they're not going to find their feet in one off-season.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the Jets suck again next year, Douglas should be fired. But a playoff mandate is a bad idea because then Douglas will have no choice but to go full 2015 Maccagnan this offseason.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Playoff mandates do no good in my opinion.

They should be implementing an improvement mandate. Jets have been trash for a long ass time. Douglas has been here for long enough that this should be a team at least competing.

I'm all for a meaningful football in December mandate.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

October would be an improvement.
    The season has been over in September each of the 3 seasons JD has been here.

I voted yes for the mandate, as JD needs a fire set under him to stop GMing scared.
    That said, if we fell just short while competing thru Christmas I wouldn’t fire him.
    But if it’s over before Dec he’s gotta go.