2021 Final Rookie QB finishes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's improbable for Zach to be a good QB because he was a bad QB this year. Rookies generally are not bad, they're just not good enough to win much. Zach was bad. Most rookie QB's who are bad are bad because they are bad not because they are rookies.

REVISion likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Jets need to keep firing darts in the 4th round (or later). So what if Morgan didn't work out. We were unlucky!

cval likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Again, That is your opinion. There are plenty of examples of young Qbs growing and there are also plenty of examples of young Qbs starting out fine and fading. Drew Brees, Marietta, Winston, Aikman etc. There is no exact science.

And Dalton or Foles? Did you not see my list of Jag Qbs failing with the Jets. Dalton has never won a playoff game with a stacked team and Foles has flamed out everywhere he has been as a starter.

ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I understand the Posts from BrowningNagle as he has zero knowledge of football. For Br4d to make a statement like bring in Dalton or Foles? How did that work out for Chicago? (Oh yeah it got the coach fired) .

For anyone to watch the second half of Zachs rookie season and claim they do not see growth? If we are looking for a game manager would you not want a QB that does not throw picks? The first thing to be a successful QB is to limit turnovers. Look at Winston he threw for all kind of yards but kept turning the ball over (Cut).

This is my last post on this crap. Zach will start next season unless he gets hurt in camp. The rest is up to him.

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles (Poster boys of success) LOL

#64 cval, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's easy to say this, but the scouts and coaches evaluate many players and their evaluations are much more thorough than fan opinions. According to a Jet's team video, JD asked the coaches to independently evaluate the QB candidates in the 2021 draft and they concluded that Zach Wilson was the best fit for the offensive scheme. Even with the best information, even the top GMs miss on a number of draft picks every year. Note that I'm not saying that Zach Wilson is a miss. I'm just saying that they do miss, even on early round picks. It's hard to predict who will be successful in the NFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Didn't McCown have a career year with us before absolutely bombing the next season when stepping in for Sam, sure it was the season he hurt his hand late in the season and Petty took over and died a death.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets coaches thought that Zach Wilson was a fit for a scheme that calls for a rhythmic distributor the odds are pretty good they all need to go.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The career year still did not have us sniffing the playoffs. The only Qbs the Jets have gone to the playoffs with since 1993 Are Vinnie, Chad, and Mark.

Qbs we did not go to the playoff with Fitz, McCown, Favre, Reich, O'Donnell, Esiason- Are you noticing a trend?

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So true, and really, none of the new QBs did great. Mills did OK for a late pick, but that's about it. Some QBs come onto a bad team and do great from the gun (like Joe Burrows) and that's what we hoped for Sam and now Zack. With Sam we all said "Our team and HC suck, so what did you expect? But then again, if Sam were good he'd raise the team around him, and he didn't so he sucks balls". And now we're right back in the "...well, our team sucks so what do you expect?"

Thank god Zack had at least a few moments of brilliance this yr, something to get our hopes up for the future.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Troy Aikman-rookie season was awful. In 1989, Aikman went 0-11 as the team’s starter and his stats were atrocious. Aikman only threw for 1,749 yards, nine touchdowns, and 18 interceptions. He ultimately had a 55.7 quarterback rating.

John Elway- Elway went 4-6 as a starter. He ultimately only threw for 1,663 yards, seven touchdowns, and 14 interceptions. His quarterback rating was even lower than Aikman’s as it was 54.9.

Peyton Manning- 3-13 as a starting quarterback. He threw for a lot of yards but still struggled. He finished his rookie season with 3,739 passing yards, 26 touchdown passes, and 28 interceptions.

Eli Manning- Passer Rating 55.5 1043 yards 6 tds 9 int

Steve Young- First season in Tamp 935 yards 56.9 rating 3 td 8 int

Andrew Luck - 54.7 completion percentage 23 td 18 int 76 rating

Ryan Tannehill 58.3 12 td 13 int 76 rating

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is a Hall of Fame darksider analogy.

I mostly agree with your stance. I think the move is to take QB after QB in the low-mid rounds until you get one that's good. I agree with the part where it's best to cut bait sooner rather than later when it appears you've whiffed. I think 2 years is the sweet spot. It's enough of a sample size to be pretty sure you're not making a mistake but a small enough sample size where it gives a GM a real shot at trying at least 2 different QB's before he gets fired if neither of them work out.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Eh his opinion is backed up by a ton of data.

I'm the biggest Zach homer around but there's no debate that the vast majority of QB's who have a first year like he did don't end up panning out.

Sure, there are some examples that went the other way, but it's hard to place faith in those examples when there are 10x as many examples that didn't work out. Nobody is saying Zach has no chance of working out, just that it's pretty unlikely after the first year he had.

Acad23, Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  13. K'OB

But that is a different thing, you said McCown - sucked, you gave Fitz a glowing reference and he sucked balls in his 2nd season as well, I just thought Sucked was a bit harsh on McCown, I bet Robby A appreciated him throwing the ball lol

Don't get me wrong Fitz gave us our last entertaining season but ultimately he fitzed the last game.

bicketybam and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those guys are all 20 years ago or more. And Andrew Luck more than doubled up Zach Wilson in yardage, touchdowns, and wins. It was a fantastic rookie season and I'm not sure why he was included in your list. If Wilson threw for 4,300+ yards we'd be over the moon right now

15. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

This thread is non-sense. Look at what transpired on the field. Zach had NOBODY to throw to the last five games. He managed to keep us competitive against two super bowl contending teams. The line in front of him sucked, especially against Buffalo. HE had ZERO interceptions in five straight games despite having to throw into tight windows to incompetent receivers. His progression over the last part of the season was HUGE. You have to eliminate mistakes first, he did that in spades. Next step is to make big plays..............he can't throw the ball to himself.

This is all not to mention an incompetent D, that kept him off the field for long stretches.........how does one develop rhythm from the bench ??? Going into this season, I had thought it was mostly about developing Zach and the O, that was wrong because the O cant develop on the bench if the D cant get back the ball.

The upcoming draft and FA season is key.

We need a true #1 receiver, we need a competent tight end, we need at least one more above average o lineman (and that assumes Becton can come back successfully). We need to bring back Berrios. Give the kid some protection and some real weapons before you start throwing stats around. All this is before we even circle back to a D that might get the ball back on schedule.

He had the WORST supporting cast in the league, especially the second half of the season when he was starting to improve.

You can only begin to evaluate and judge Zach when he is playing on a leveled playing field.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If we are grading him on a Jets curve he was decent. :) My point is none of the Jags were good enough to get us in the playoffs,

K'OB likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Has the NFL gotten easier in the last 20 years? I would not say Luck had a fantastic rookie season he was up and down on pretty stacked team. You can throw stats around all you want the fact remains circumstances make a difference. You hate Zach and would rather have Andy Dalton so be it. (Andy was great his rookie year and still has the same number of playoff wins as Zach).

You cannot tell by a QBs rookie season if he will be good or not. Plenty of have played decent and then sucked others played bad and turned out fine. To your untrained eye Zach has no hope to others Zach took a big first step and showed off his talent on occasion. We will see. I would love to put a wager on it barring injury.

18. K'OB

Well I can't argue against that lol man what a shit show eh?

19. K'OB

This post is MASSIVE!

:D

ColoradoContrails, cval and Jeff M like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything ever about Andy Dalton and I dont hate Zach Wilson. If you have to put words into someone else's mouth it just means your argument sucks

Ralebird likes this.