Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see which UDFAs JD picks up.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

cos he demonstrably fucking sucks

jonnyd likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They traded him because he sucks, isn't the answer and didn't want to be stuck having to pay him the big year 5 salary. Why in the world would they trade to get him back and then have to pay him the big salary to sit on the bench? Makes zero sense.

Borat likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

My opinion only, but I think Karlaftis at #4 is too early. He might be there at 10 if Douglas wants him.

Red Menace and REVISion like this.
  5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I really wanna grab either Wilson or Burks. Keep getting weapons for Zach

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

It all depends upon how the Jets see Karlaftis. He is big, fast and powerful. Supposedly good at setting the edge and rushing the passer. The negatives I've read about him are that he doesn't have great bend in his ankles (which elite edges do) and that he has disappeared in Purdue's biggest games rather than rising to the occasion like Hutchinson. I've never seen him play. I need to watch a LOT of film on him. There's no question that Edge is one of the most important positions in general, and is particularly in Saleh's scheme. The Jets haven't drafted one in the first round since Gholston, and before that Abraham and Ellis.

I don't think JD should reach, as there seems to be quite a few other good Edge prospects, and I don't think it's in JD's nature to reach for players anyway. It's going to be really interesting to see whom the Jets value. The only advantage to having so many holes is that if there's any talent at all in the draft at a variety of positions, one has great flexibility and one should be able to get a very good/great player in each of the first 3 rounds or lower. With two 1st round picks, I could see the Jets going in a myriad of ways: Edge and WR, Edge and OL, Edge and LB, OL and WR, OL and Edge, OL and LB, S and Edge, S and WR, S and LB, and S and OL. I don't think they will but CB could also be in the mix at one of the two 1st round picks. Thankfully, there's a lot of talent in the draft at each of those positions, so we should come away with some very good/great players at several positions.

Borat likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

We definitely need to add weapons for Zach. I don't want Wilson at all, however. IMO he's just another #2 WR and is too small. I really want Burks or maybe David Bell of Purdue. I also want a very good TE prospect like McBride, Wydermyer, Likely or Kolar.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

btw... i do not know what stuff you guys ,ight watch but has anyone checked out "PLay Like a Jet" on youtube... and Aussie guy who does film stuff like the guys ar Xfactor do (Sabo, Blewett, Nania, Pavia?) andyway we'd been talking TE's at some point and I mentioned having checked out Trey McBRide... heres his vid with a ahilarious pitch for manscape included... you get to see alotta good stuff from this TE...

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

OMG! His commercial for Manscapes is hilarious.

I must say that McBride looks MUCH better in this video than in the highlight tape I watched earlier. He looks quicker, leaner and more athletic. It was nice to see him blocking as well. I'm starting to see why some of you like him so much.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be really interesting to see which direction the Jets go. I don't see us getting a safety or CB in the first round unless there is a trade up/down towards end of first round. And even then I think they will try to get vets in FA market for the positions before the draft. I feel Karlaftis' stock will raise. Hutch also disappeared in the play-offs, when double teamed like Karlaftis, and it appears Ojabo played bad to the point where they did better without him. Karlaftis is also a year younger than other prospects, and should test out very well. I think very soon he will be consensus 4-9 pick on most draft boards.

Free agency will drive a lot of what happens, but good Edge players rarely hit free market, unless they are past prime or injury prone, so that will still be a need at draft time, which I feel JD will address in the first round. That's why I think he may actually trade up again, even though he did it last year also, if he feels Karlaftis is big a drop off from Hutch and say Jags will take our second or third rounder to move down 3 spots. If he does not like George, he might move down from 4th if someone wants to beat out Giants for a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And he looks good in green!

All kidding aside, yes he looks like a great fit, and certainly an upgrade over what they have.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This still doesn't make the hypey guy worth anything.

We're deep into the "ruin the team with bad early QB picks" phase of the NFL's long history.

It's been running for a decade give or take.

At some point fairly soon it will become the common wisdom that you're just gambling too heavily when you trade up for a QB. They're too expensive and too few of them work out.

At that point we'll go to phase two of the old common wisdom, which was 3 year starter, graduated before drafted, comes from a pro set (what was recognized as pro set in 1995), got better year over year in college unless just great at the start and no significant letdown.

What that common wisdom will look like is not clear but very few of the QB's over drafted since 2010 or so is going to fit the criteria.

At a guess it will be: played in a spread with minimal option usage, 2 good years as the starter, Junior capable of graduating before NFL camps start or Senior who has graduated, both years quite good and second year at least as good as the first (Sam Darnold lesson), no character questions.

#152 Br4d, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Whether WR will be a need is an interesting question. Unlike Edge there are some decent options out there. Robinson is a possibility. Ridley may come up. Mike Williams from Chargers. Don't know if we can get a WR1 type, but there is a better chance than edge. If we do end up with one of these guys, obviously Burks may not be an option at 10. Then I think JD will go O line at #10 after using 4th pick to get Edge. I think if Linderbaum lasts until 10, JD will snatch him regardless. If not, Cross or Ekwonu.

If WR is still a need, it might get interesting. Linderbaum would still be the pick IMO, but if he is gone, Burks may become an option there over Cross/Ekwonu. The question is, is he a WR1 type in NFL? I like the size to be sure. Seems like he is fast as well. But he was a bit inconsistent. That's why I really liked Jamison Williams, who seems to check all the boxes. Also tall and rangy, ridiculously good consistent year, top speed. With ACL torn though, he is definitely out. With all that said, I think Burks stock goes up in combine. Does it exceed Cross/Ekwonu in JD's eyes, and are the Jets going to get WR in free agency are still question marks.

If not, there is an option to either trade up from second, or perhaps if one of the top guys slides take him with second rounder. Even if it is injured guy like Jamison or London, it's probably worth a gamble, even given Jets injuries.

#153 Borat, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    tomdeb likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If we go Linderbaum do we move McGovern to Guard?

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, move him to RG for a year, plus he gives good depth in case of an injury. Then we end up upgrading two positions and depth. Also with Cs, they are responsible for a lot of coordination on the line as well. If Linderbaum is Mangold, like most projections suggest, that will make AVT better, whoever is at RG better, and overall line more solid. Look at Dickerson: ended up having a good season, definitely a good player, but I am sure having a Pro Bowl C next to him did not hurt.

I feel we really need to improve the line this year. Every year line starts slow and plays like shit. Then we get somewhat decent production mid year and are content. I want the line to be top notch. Heck, McGovern is a valuable guy, one year contract left. We might end up getting something decent for him as well if we draft Linderbaum and trade him. If not, RG for a year is not a bad option.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I liked Williams a lot, but he was not a high effort player in terms of blocking, which is important in our scheme. Burks is a good blocker. #10 might be too high for Burks, unless something changes after the Combine. Right now, I'm seeing him ranked anywhere from the 17th - 29th best player. So we might have to trade down to take him. Either way, WR is a definite need. There's no way it isn't. Cole and Crowder will most likely be gone. Jeff Smith, Montgomery, and Tariq Black don't belong on an NFL active roster. Mims could be gone following TC, and at this point,can't be counted on for anything. That leaves Davis, Moore and Berrios. The Jets will need at least 2-3 WRs. I would love to see them draft their #1, Davis become their #2, and Moore become the slot WR. I love Robinson, but he would be very expensive, and probably only be here at most for 2-3 seasons. I'm not sure if JD would even consider him. I hope that he's not even considering Ridley. Mike Williams might be a possibility, but we still need depth and another young WR to grow along with Zach and Moore.

I also think Burks stock will rise following the Combine.

JD definitely has some tough decisions to make. WR, OT, Edge, S, TE, LB and OG are all definite needs. To a lesser extent, so are OL depth, CB, RB, and FB. One thing is for certain...no matter which way JD goes in the first two rounds, some will be very happy, some will have mixed feelings, and others will hate what he did and think the team doomed with him as GM.

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would hope we would move him to another team.

18. NCJetsfan

I definitely don't see us taking a CB in the 1st round. If JD is unable to trade down from #4 and Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, and Neal are all gone, I think it very possible that JD could take Hamilton at #4. On every ranking of the top prospects in the 2022 draft, Hamilton is in the top 4 players, and in one or two of them he is ranked #1 or #2. If JD isn't high on Karlaftis, I think there's an excellent chance that he would take Hamilton. There will be some good Edges available in the 2nd round. While it doesn't have a clear-cut stud like a Bosa or a JJ Watt, I think this is one of the deepest drafts I have ever seen for quality Edge rushers, at least based upon what I have read so far. My opinion could change as I start watching film of them all. But right now, I think any one of Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Karlaftis, Enagbare, A. Ebiketie, David Ojabo, Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker, Cameron Thomas, Myjai Sanders, and Sam Williams could possibly help our pass rush.

I agree that we will be drafting an Edge rather than signing on in FA, and imo, that's as it should be, even if there were someone pretty good available in FA. We haven't drafted an Edge in the 1st round since Gholston, and before that, it was Abraham and Ellis in 2000. It's past time we drafted another early.

I truly think you need to forget about trading up. I just don't see JD doing that in successive drafts, especially with all our needs. Burning a 2nd because he fell in love with a player would be a BIG mistake if that player didn't pan out to be very good from day 1, especially when we could have taken a much-needed OL, S, LB, TE or WR with that pick and wind up not being able to address one of those positions.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was thinking between Jamison, London, Garrett, and Burks, JD can identify a WR1. I was also thinking that guy will be Jamison :). Without him, there is a possibility like you said JD will not think a WR is worth it. Then I see the following happening:

- Take Linderbaum/Cross/Ekwonu at 10.
    - Trade up a bit from second if one of his WR targets slides or keep the second, and pick whoever is left. Even if it is injured Jamison. London got injured but should back for combine. Maybe Olave slides. Or if not perhaps Bell? The other pick could be TE.

I actually think there is a decent chance to trade #4 (up or down). That of course can change, but I just think there will be some really good value at 10 straight up, while there really isn't a consensus around #4, unless JD falls in love with Karlaftis. Also, with QB needy Giants at #5, and QBs usually rising in the draft process, I see someone really liking a particular QB and trading up from top 11, giving up some real value. We can then use that pick to still get a good player, plus whatever extra we get back. We need to hope one of the QBs does really well at the combine and Pro day. Perhaps a Zach Wilson throw? :)

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If Saleh/JD think Hutch/Kayvon is anywhere close to Bosa, I can easily see him burning a second rounder to get up 3 spots to get him. A lot will depend if he thinks Karlaftis or other guys you mentioned is close to him. We NEED a good Edge. Yes, there are many decent guys to be had in 3d/4th round, but I feel we need a difference maker, and Karlaftis appears to be closest to being that, while a year younger than most others. Some scouts think it is IDEAL spot for Jets system, though I don't if this is true or not. I do know he was double teamed a lot, generated 18% of pressures, and is good at running game too, unlike many others on the list, which is important for us. That's why if I have to bet now, I think he is the pick. Plus he can pick more for depth in 2nd/3d round of one of the guys you mentioned slides.

As far as Hamilton, I don't see it. There are bunch of good safeties Jets can get as FAs, plus positional value is low. Yes, Hamilton is good, but I think and hope by the time draft rolls, we will have a really good top safety signed as a free agent, as few of them like Reid should be available. Unless he slides to 10 with guys like Linderbaum, Cross, Ekonwu picked before him. Then it is possible he picks him or trades down. I don't think it will happen though.