Would You Want Any 2022 Coaching Candidates over Robert Saleh or any Rookie QB Over Zach Wilson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jan 11, 2022.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are in a really good spot with Head Coach Robert Saleh and QB Zach Wilson.

Joe Douglas made some crucial moves at the right time. When you look at 2022, it does not look as strong at either key position.

Head Coach:
    -Eric Bieniemy
    -Todd Bowles
    -Byron Leftwich
    -Brian Daboll
    -Jim Cadwell
    -Raheem Morris
    -Jim Harbaugh
    -Josh McDaniels (hell no)
    -Nathaniel Hackett
    -Kellen Moore
    -Jerod Mayo
    -Brian Flores

I honestly think the Jets got the best Head Coach of the 2021 cycle and the 2022 cycle. Time will tell of course. I guess some interesting options would be Brian Daboll, Jim Harbaugh and newly available Brian Flores.

As for QB, people are still arguing over Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones, but forget about them. I still would take Zach Wilson #2 after Trevor Lawrence, and maybe even #1 now. Tough choice.
    I don't think any QB in the 2022 draft is even close to Zach Wilson though:

2022 Potential 1st Round QB's:
    -Kenny Pickett (Pitt)
    -Matt Corral (Ole Miss)
    -Sam Howell (UNC)
    -Carson Strong (Nevada)

Clearly Zach Wilson would be going #1 overall in the 2022 NFL Draft if he came out now instead of last season. The Jets did a great job of securing their future franchise QB when they did.

Imagine keeping Adam Gase and Sam Darnold one more season. Now the Jets would be in a really bad spot not having a QB or a Head Coach of Saleh and Wilson's caliber.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the Jets could do better than Robert Saleh in this 2022 Head Coaching cycle? How about Zach Wilson compared to this 2022 Rookie QB class?

I am really excited to go into the future with both of these guys leading our team! :)

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sorry man, this thread is not likely to age well.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really like these games, but I will say that the Jets lucked in this being a relatively week QB class. Are Corral and Pickett first round picks organically or are they first round picks because they’re the best of a bad bunch?

I like Corral a lot. He reminds me of Dak and has solid upside as a NFL runner. Not the best arm strength though likely has enough to get by. I liked Pickett last year because he was going to be a fourth round developmental pick. I don’t think he’s worth where he’s going to be selected

I wanted Daboll last year and I’d take Harbaugh over many coaches in this league so if he wanted to come here for some strange reason, I’d make that happen. I posted in the other thread that I think O’Brien is going to be a good second chance head coach although I’m not advocating that we try to get him.

PJ4Ever, Cman68, twown and 1 other person like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Only if you are judging it by me saying I would take Saleh and Wilson over the field. That is a gutsy thing to say. I was pointing out that Joe Douglas has put the Jets in a good position headed into the 2022 off-season.

I was just thinking earlier that it is nice to not have to worry about a coaching search or a QB in the draft and that the Jets are in a pretty nice position with both.

Plus wanted to see people's thoughts on the 2022 coaching candidates compared to Saleh and the QB candidates compared to Wilson.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We said something similar about Davis Mills last year before the draft lol

So hard to tell with QB's, this year 'generational' talent all over the place but the guy who has played the best blew two pro days and then Mills is in the top 3 (can't say Lance is the #2 as he hasn't played enough really).

Who's to say who can step up from 22's draft, but we won't be drafting one of them though that's for sure, maybe some needy team might deliver a fortune in draft picks to take our #4 and secure Pickett or Corral.

The Dark Knight and ouchy like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Harbaugh is the no brainer. Flores had two winning seasons in three years. Caldwell somehow got canned in Detroit after having three winning seasons in four years. Those are the HC's I would take over Saleh.

As for QB's, it appears to be a weak class. I get the whole sunk cost thing with Zach, but there's no clear upgrade. 2022 will be sink or swim with him.

James Hasty and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If the Jets were in a different cycle and in more of competitive rebuild phase then Caldwell would be the guy imo. But we've started this build from the ground up. Gotta keep going with it at this point.

8. K'OB

Shit or bust

"Shit or bust" is a vulgar English expression denoting a crunch time when a person has to (or chooses to) make a decision that will result either in success or in ruin.

I do like the use of the word vulgar :D:D:D

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

With almost certainty one would still take Wilson over Fields, Lance and Jones. Over TL is questionable. Wilson has greater upside but IMO TL is more of a sure thing.
    With Wilson it all comes down to confidence. If he is playing with confidence his mechanics are good, he is extremely accurate, he gets the ball out quickly and efficiently and he has great pocket presence and mobility.

But, we have seen what happens when he loses his confidence he hesitates, his nechanics fall apart, he loses his pocket presence and starts taking the kind of big hits that guys like Justin Fields routinely take. Wilson is not big enough to play as badly as Fields nor can we afford a QB that takes sacks and fumbles at even half the rate of a guy as bad as Fields.

The positive on Wilson is he rebounded from adversity strongly and put together 3 really good games in a row with no weapons or OL. The negatuve is he fell apart so badly after the Carolina game. Will he do this again under adversity? I don't expect him or even care to see him have many games like he did against Tennessee or TB where he single handedly elevated the team. What I want to see is him continue to run the offense efficiently, making quick decisions, getting the ball out on time.

The key here to Wilson’s success is building a team around him. They say a good defense is the best way to help a young QB. Give us a defense where we are not down 14 points before his 1st pass. He had 68 snaps this year with Moore and Carter on the field. Give him some weapons that can beat man coverage. Berrios and were horrible at getting separation against man coverage. We need someone else besides Moors to step up.

I am excited to see how he progresses during the offseason. The kid is light years ahead on the mental game and making the right reads. He just needs the confidence and a better supporting cast to put it all together. I expect to see the Jets try to build on their run 1st approach and do all they can this offseason to make it easier for Wilson. IMO our biggest problem nest year will be having to play 6 games a year in the AFC east. That is 6 brutal games against really good defenses.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd take Harbaugh in a second over Saleh.

If we could trade Zach to Detroit for their 2nd, getting some of his cost back, I'd go for it. But I wouldn't pick a QB with the second overall, or in the first round period.

IIMeanDeanII, Br4d, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

your asking the same group that wanted urban meyer and baker mayfield. not that sam turned out any better he was worse but what we want and think don't really matter.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'd take Harbaugh, Daboll and Pederson over Saleh without question.

Saleh has not been good at all. I really don't know what good reason there is to be optimistic about him. He inherited a far better roster than Gase had yet the team barely improved. That should tell us that he's likely not a very good coach at all.

Regarding the QB's - I'd still take Lawrence over Wilson but I'd take Wilson over Fields, Lance, Jones.

IIMeanDeanII, PJ4Ever and Red Menace like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Is Mac Jones TGGs new Josh Allen? This place denied Allen's success for more than a year after he established himself, just because he wasn't our QB.

Wilson isn't even in Jones league at this point. He runs that offense at a high level and has gained an understanding of defenses that Zach can still only dream about. He knows presnap where the open guy is going to come free, and makes nearly all the throws on the money - and he has less talent at the skill positions than we do. His reads and progressions are top notch. Even if you want to call him just a game manager, he manages their offense at a very high level - especially for a rookie. He's basically becoming a new Pennington, except he's taller and has no injuries. In a year or two you'll never be able to fool him with looks and he'll be one of the smartest QBs in the league. I'd take Jones in a NY minute over Wilson.

#13 ouchy, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    horsehead and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Look out! :D[​IMG]

IDFjet likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Would take several of the coaches over Saleh. Include the 2022 veteran QBs that could/would be available and then were talkin'

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Definitely Wilson over any of the other QBs. I disagree that TK is more of a sure thing. I have ZERO concerns with Zach's confidence. Now that he is knows the offense and is feeling comfortable in the scheme, and is learning what he can and can't do in the NFL, I don't think his confidence in himself will ever waiver again. The arrow is definitely pointing up.

I think "they" are dead wrong (with regards to the bold). IMO the best way to help a young QB, is a great OC, a solid OL, and great weapons around him.

17. K'OB

So you're saying there is no hope for Fields then?

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I agree weapons and OL are great for a QB I also believe a good defense is a young QBs best friend and best asset. A good defense means a young QB rarely has to play from behind, can stay in rhythm more often as he not on the sidelines for long stretches, there is a lot less pressure and he has to do less, he will make less mistakes trying to keep up with another offense. Certainly, a better offense helps the defense but it goes both ways.

Regardless, I hope the Jets can improve the entire team enough where ZW does not have to play great just for the team to stand a chance. It would be wonderful to be able to be competitive even when the QB is not playing well.

I am excited for the off-season and the start of FA on March 16th. It is not that far away.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that. He's got a ton of physical talent. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. K'OB

I was being a little facetious, Noam's post had 4 digs at Fields in quick succession to big up Wilson, just big up Wilson if that is your aim ;)