24/7 NYJ Talk Station (Internet Streaming)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Jan 10, 2022.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please forgive me. It doesn't seem to belong in any of the others either.

I'm in the very early stages of putting together an internet talk radio station that is dedicated to the Jets. Local sports radio is too much of a mixed bag in a market of this size. On good days I want to hear about the Jets, on bad days I want to hear ghosts and others vent. Not only are there other sports, but we have to sit through Giants crap as well.

Initially, since this is starting from total scratch and no one is listening, shows will be pre-recorded podcast style and run on the station. No one wants to broadcast to themselves. Particularly here at the very beginning, the same content will loop over and over.

As time goes on, if this catches on, live shows with hosts taking calls and maybe even interviews with someone affiliated with the team (a popcorn vendor maybe!?) is a possibility. But that's way down the road. Gotta crawl before you can walk before you can run.

I am not going to post the name or link of the station here so as not to be trolling for listeners. That is not my intention at all. What I'm looking for is contributors.

Anyone with any radio experience, or who has a podcast they wouldn't mind running, or even those with minimal to no experience and willing to try it out - please let me know.

Again, this is extremely early stages (currently running whatever the latest episode of my podcast is and two short shows), so it's wide open and will take time to get a structured schedule in place.

Let's have some fun.

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why not talk about the Titanic, Edsel, Hindenburg and space shuttle Columbia instead? The success rate is about the same and more people are familiar with them.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just my opinion but there's definitely not enough to talk about if you're just talking Jets.

If you want a 24/7 operation or even a daily show you're going to to need more stuff to talk about.

If I was doing this right now I'd make the show 33% Jets, 33% NFL trends and 33% Football Analytics. I still think you'd run into content issues but you'd have more outs when the Jets topic of the hour/day/week had run dry.

Acad23 and REVISion like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re trying to start a corporation, bro.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No problem with your thread. Let me tag some of our members who might be interested.

@PennyandtheJets
    @MaximusD163 @jaywayne12 @GasedAndConfused

NCJetsfan and The_Darksider like this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Talking about the jets 4 hours a week is depressing enough

Centiment, ukjetsfan and Jets69 like this.
  7. The_Darksider

I hear you, but unlike a "real" radio station, internet radio is dirt cheap. It MIGHT cost as much as 200 a year total, and that's if i go nuts.

The problem with trying to do anything sports related is that there's, like, 10,000 other sports everything out there. Radio stations, blogs, podcasts, YouTube channels, TV - I'd NEVER get any type of market share. Nor do I want to.

I'll take a shot at Jets only, which, as small as it is, is at least a somewhat untapped niche. It'll be a fun hobby!

Brook! likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

Nah man, if I was gonna put 100s of thousands into bandwidth, ads, and hiring people, then sure. But this... This will start out as a glorified podcast, bunch of people having fun talking about something they're passionate about and if it grows a bit, word of mouth will get around and maybe it'll grow organically to a point.

I mean, what's the ceiling on something like this? A few interviews with beat reporters? I'll be happy if I can get it established to a point where people know it's there, there's a few live hosts, and angry fans call in to vent. The overhead is crazy low, so at my age I'll consider it a fun hobby since i don't spend my money on booze and broads anymore.

Brook! and ukjetsfan like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I get what you are trying to do. I just don't think there's enough to talk about for any team to fill a 24/7 stream.

The best team in Pro sports doesn't have enough material to keep that type of stream going and the Jets certainly not.

The point about finding related topics to talk about is that it will keep the people doing the talking sane and it is much more likely to keep your listeners listening.

10. Ralebird

How depressing.

11. The_Darksider

Ha, yeah I guess not boozin' and slutting around is a bit depressing. Now you've made me feel bad. :(

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't let the haters get you down.
    You never know what will work till you try... you'll get as much out of it as you put in.

And why not link it here? This is your target audience.
    You might consider video support so you can run it on YouTube.
    Frame out a workable format that sets an identity for your show and build on that.

I've listened to @MaximusD163 & @GasedAndConfused podcast and enjoyed it a lot.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sunday-night-jet-lag/id1598423704

13. The_Darksider

I appreciate it man - I was kidding about feeling bad. I'm trying to make it happen regardless. At worst, maybe it'll become a community podcast for people who don't want to start their own. But, I do kinda feel bad about not boozing and snatch hunting anymore...haha

Is there a section on the site where we can all promote our digital products? I have a podcast as well - would love to promote it and support others. If there isn't a specific forum for it, maybe we can suggest one.

Brook! and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. Ralebird

I was kidding as well, but I do get a little depressed every time I hear "at my age..." Especially from people who are probably younger than I am.

15. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I would def be interested in some capacity I love talking sports and def about my Jets

Brook! likes this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We don’t have a separate section but we try to promote out posters by stickying their threads time to time. Will help you out as well

The_Darksider, IDFjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In addition to the posters that Brook! mentioned, there's a slew of guys on Jets twitter who do podcasts, analysis shows on YouTube who are trying to make a name for themselves. I'm sure that you could probably get as many of them as you want to come on your show or host a show. If you're interested in more names, let me know. I'll hook you up.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't let the naysayers piss on your parade. Go for it! As you said you want be investing that much money. It will mostly be your time and energy, and if it's something you love and think will be fun, it will be worth it, regardless of what happens. It sure won't succeed if you don't try.

19. The_Darksider

That's the spirit! Let's do it. I'll PM you and you can tell me what you'd like to do.

20. The_Darksider

Yeah man, get me any names you want - or give mine to them. I'm absolutely moving forward, station is up and running with about 4.5 hours of prerecorded stuff currently looping and more to come. I'd love to help anyone out and in the process help forward what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone!