Jets showed they belong today! (I could be wrong.. LOL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 9, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I am perhaps Wilson's #1 fan on this site, or at least in the top 2-3, and even though I was concerned for his safety, I wanted him to play. He is not fragile, either physically or mentally. This whole season has been tremendously difficult, but I believe that it will make him stronger, and a better QB, and sooner than perhaps he would have if everything had gone rosy this year. I think he's learned a LOT and having faced almost a career's worth of adversity in his rookie season, and not only survived, but thrived to some extent at the end (no TOs, still showing the elite arm talent and accuracy) of the season, will have him ready to go next season. If JD has the kind of offseason I think he will and the Jets catch a little luck in terms of the right players falling to them in the draft, then we will begin to see the kind of team we've all wanted for a long time next season.

2. NCJetsfan

They're not a horrible team. The offensive side of the team that took the field yesterday was awful, but most of them will not be on the team next year, and were only on now because of injuries, and not enough time (drafts and FA periods) to fix the black hole that was the Jets' offense prior to JD becoming GM. You do realize that 3 starters on the OL were missing and in their place were 2nd and 3rd string backups, right? You do realize that the "WRs" (and I use that term lightly) were all bottom-of-the barrel players. Mims has regressed, is not a good scheme fit, and looks totally lost. Tariq Black? I never even freaking heard of him, and don't know how he was playing yesterday, as I never heard that he had joined the team. He was probably a signing from some other PS. In spite of Saleh's nice words about Jeff Smith's work in practice, he doens't belong on an NFL playing field. He's fast and athletic, but can't get open. Tyler Kroft is a meh TE, and they had no one else at TE. Cole had the one play and another reception or two, but he can't get open with consistency. How is any QB supposed to compete, much less win with players like that around him.

The team, especially the offense before JD took over was awful, barren of talent. That wasn't getting fixed overnight. The D at least had some talent, but talent that fit other schemes better than the scheme which we are now playing. That was the miracle yesterday that they played as well as they did.

3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

When was the last time an underdog played well and failed to cover a massive 16.5 point spread? Yeah sure, can't wait until next season for more error free ball by Wilson, 50 yards total offense and 5 first downs per game. This Jets team matched futility numbers on both offense and defense which rivaled the Jets of the mid 70s. Maybe they can bring Lou Holtz back as special advisor.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets showed they belong yesterday all they showed was that they have heart and play hard.

My biggest takeaway from the game was not that we were missing 3 OL, not that we had no weapons or not even that Jeff Smith was our number one WR. Smith got the most WR snaps against TB and we still found a way to run the ball. My biggest takeaway was how important the Jet sweep is to this offense. Being able to threaten the edge sets up everything, including running up the middle, PA out of shotgun and forcing defensive players to hesitate when rushing the QB. Without Moore or Berrios to run that sweep the offense cannot function. Yes, the Bills defense is the best in the league but no QB has faced tougher defense this year than ZW according to PFF, no offense has been more short handed than the Jets this year and no QB has had less to work with but we still have found a way to grow and improve as an offense and I would argue it has been because of the Jet sweep and Carter being able to get to the edge.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Hey, they played better than the first time they played them. They gave up 47 points the first time around and White threw 4 picks to go with his 33.4 rating. At least Wilson didn't turn the ball over and actually threw a TD pass. Baby steps.

Also worth noting that in their first meeting the Jets had Carter, Davis, Moore, Crowder and Cole. Fant also played.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

But yet they played the defending cbamps and everybody's GOAT tough and almost won. If not for the bonehead OC. I guess this week was the DC time to stink up the place. I find it weird that the Jets were looking forward to Mims this year but now he can't even see the field with injuries and bad WR play. But Douglas is not gonna cut him as he drafted Mims. But Mims will probably be cut in spring training and some team will get a player. New York sports teams are stuck with stubborn coaches. The Jets with Saleh and the Knicks with Tibs.

7. boozer32

The best roster move Douglas did this year was getting that guard from KC basically free. Traded a player who they cut and got the guard and the player back after KC cut him.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. boozer32

Well we have top picks in the draft every year how's that looking now? Our problem is multifaceted. We either have good personnel guys and horrible coaches. Or horrible coaches and horrible GM like that Macagnan Bowles team. Haven't had that sync up correctly since Bill Parcells.

9. NCJetsfan

There was no bigger fan of Mims on this board than me. Earlier in the season, I put the blame on the CS, and still think they probably deserve some of the blame for the way in which they handled him that seems to have killed his motivation and confidence. That's not who he was coming out of college. What has become apparent to me in the MANY opportunies he had this season is that he is not a good fit for this scheme. He either isn't intelligent enough to learn this offense, or developed a mental block because of the way he was treated or what was expected of him, or because he got behind early and was left in the dust. He has a ton of talent. If he hasn't totally lost confidence in himself or the desire to play football (and I have no reason to think that he has), then I still think he can at a minimum be a solid contributor for some NFL team even if it's just as a deep threat, but I think he can still potentially be very good. He's going to need the right scheme that fits what he can do well, and a CS that is patient and nurturing, who will design a package of plays that he can execute well early to get him involved and build his confidence.

TB's D is nowhere near as good as Buffalo's. Buffalo has the top D in the NFL. Big difference.

Yes there is some stubbornness with our coaches and among most NFL coaches. MLF showed that he can adapt and adjust, as did Ulbrich. I have to believe that Saleh was in on those adjustments or at least accepted them, so things hopefully aren't as bad as you paint them.

#69 NCJetsfan, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    boozer32 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Mims but I saw 2 things from him yesterday that I want to point out:

1) the man blocks in the running game. Yes, you want more from a receiver than blocking, but not too many WRs do block so I think it's something to consider
    2) there was a play, he started on the left side of the field, ran his route, there was some "attrition" in the backfield, I'll say (I know we aren't allowed to criticize the QB), and Mims came allllll the way across the field and in an effort to help his QB with said attrition. The QB promptly threw the ball like 15 feet over his head.

We are being told he's some selfish malcontent who can't bother to learn the plays but those are two instances that won't go in the box score where he was exhibiting unselfish, team-first behavior & instincts

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Which play are you talking about?

12. BrowningNagle

Hmm I think I'm thinking of 1:53 or 3:07

the stretch from 4:12-4:27 is brutal. You can see wide open receivers even on the telecast view and yet none of the passes get completed.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are obviously watching a different video. He was running for his life and that stretch was against the wind. You are not throwing deep in 18-25 mph winds.

14. BrowningNagle

yea its never Wilson's fault. The open recievers I'm talking about are not "deep", obviously, as they wouldnt be on screen if they were

Ralebird likes this.
  15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

At 4:13 Mims is wiiiide open but wilson throws to the guy covered in triple coverage, so yeah, dumb play by wilson on 1st & 10.

ouchy likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are funny. Time will tell and one of us will be proven right. The difference is I want him to succeed and you want him to fail. I am done defending him to you we will see how he plays next year.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I want him to succeed, I got nothing against him. He should've been holding a clipboard

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach does take some pretty deep drops though..

19. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Sorry, if the line was holding up I could see your point, but subjecting the kid to 9 sacks and 20 pressures did not help his progression, especially w no offensive weapons to help him out.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

55.6%