TE Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CotcheryFan, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Charlie Kolar has amazing hands, he’s known as an excellent route runner and has been very consistent.

If Jets ended up with Kolar I would be very happy.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep FA is key. We have to hope that several of the good TEs will hit FA.

I really hope that Wesco won't be back and maybe not Kroft, either. Kroft has been our best TE, but that's not saying much. I think Yeboah deserves to hang around, and if we add a TE in FA and then one in the draft, that should be sufficient. I'll be surprised if the Jets keep 4 TEs, but would have no problem with Kroft, FA TE, draft TE and Yeboah. I hope it isn't Kroft, Yeboah, Wesco and either a FA TE or draft TE. That would only be marginally better than what we have now. Still, I guess Kroft should be re-signed, and Wesco not cut until the end of TC to be safe.

3. NCJetsfan

I've got to watch a lot of film on him. I saw a little bit last year, and saw a highlight film this year, and it does seem like he has very good hands. That said, last year I read a scouting report that said he had great hands but didn't look like a football player at all as there was very little muscularity to him. If that's true, I want no part of him. We need someone that can dish out a pounding as well as take a pounding and be at least a decent blocker.

4. Red Menace

Jake Ferguson from Wisconsin is another name to keep an eye on. He’s on a team that runs the ball a lot, yet his name still keeps popping up as a legitimate NFL TE.

#24 Red Menace, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. Red Menace

He’s 6’6, 257 not sure why the report would say that but most of the guys do put on additional muscle after their first year in the NFL.

When you see his highlights you will see him get hit a lot, he gets up and keeps going.

I believe he has missed one or two games in his college career, that’s pretty good for a player who gets a lot of playing time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s slow man. Im personally less concerned with tightend speed than most though. If the tightend understands how to find the hole in a zone, he’s going to move the chains. Kolar also doesn’t have to run by guys in man coverage because he understands how to shield them away from the ball and I have tons of confidence in his ability to find holes in the zone.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think you’re off base. He’s the second best route runner of the bunch behind Fant. He doesn’t offer the physical upside that Hock and Kittle do because he’s smaller and not as good at our leaping his opponents but he can definitely beat slot corners on outs and slants with his quickness.

He’s theoretically a crappy catcher in traffic but I also give him somewhat of a pass because he had the NFL version of Mike Glennon winging awful rockets at him all year.

I think he’s going to run well so I believe he’s going to jump into the TE 1-3 range and the rest of the NFL will recognize the pedigree unfortunately.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I got a good look at LaPorta in the bowl game where he played UK. He looked good, it felt like he was open all day, and I’m pretty sure he had like 120 yards and a TD. Seemed to be a solid route runner, good blocker, and they talked about how he was a former WR that made the transition to TE not long ago.

I could definitely see him having a big glow up in the NFL if a team is willing to be a little patient with him.

10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm a Bama fan but wouldn't take Jahleel Billingsley - he's got the size and speed but has a poor work ethic and plays little this year, as he's often in Nick Saban's bad books. Never a good sign!

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He's got ridiculously good hands.

Pairing him with an athletic type tight end like a Njoku would be nice.

Brook! likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I agree that his hands are amazing. Hopefully, he's a dynamic blocker too.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The TE I want is Charlie Kolar. He's a playmaker and a great teammate and loves football.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

He looks awful tonight. Lazy ass effort on that interception (even though it was a bad throw). Looks like he gives out halfway through every route.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. Leicester Jet

And his blocking is non existent for a man of his size

16. Jonathan_Vilma

If you can’t play hard for Saban in the National Championship, you won’t play hard for a NFL head coach.

I was impressed with this Cameron Latu guy yesterday though. He plays with a mean physicality and seems like a willing blocker. Not much production, but I’d grab him as a third tightend in the late rounds.

Leicester Jet and REVISion like this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Was impressed by Latu as well. I looked him up and he has basically 0 production in college until this season, I wonder if he's had a bunch of injuries?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I believe he’s a converted defensive end. He converted in 2019 and was primarily a special teams player prior to that. All of that would be important if he’s versatile enough to play on the coverage teams as well.

REVISion and Leicester Jet like this.
  19. Leicester Jet

Yes, he was previously a D/E, hence the physicality A few more details from the Bama website

https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/cameron-latu/7270

REVISion likes this.
  20. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Lots of good TEs this year. No excuses